robcomptec

Which lens config for Canon 5D in water?

Do you recommend any particular brand or quality? I'm considering getting a set (+1,+2,+4) for testing.

An inexpensive set of 3 runs $70-$80. A single high quality coated diopter can run $200-$250.

No point putting a cheap diopter in front of an expensive lens. I would start off looking for B+W diopters.

Cheers

James

In low light the Canon 100mm has a hard time focusing. In these situations a manual focus port is very helpful.

I love the Canon 16-35 F2.8 on a Canon 5D and the Canon 100 Macro. The 24-70 F2.8 is really sharp as well, and will enable to have a really wide range without the super wide.

Ok, I've just purchased an almost new 17 - 40 mm f/4 lens. I will be purchasing my Ikelite case with 8" dome soon.

Thanks all for your input,

- Robert

In low light the Canon 100mm has a hard time focusing. In these situations a manual focus port is very helpful.

I have not the found the Canon 100mm to have any more problems focusing in low light than any other lens. Low light focusing issues are more related to the camera body than the lens.

I just got my 17-40mm lens for use with the 5D. It's very nice for the price, very similar to Nikon's 12-24DX f4 AFS (A $1,000 lens).

Cheers

James

I also have the 17-40L - it's a great lens. I'll post some pool shots tonight when I get done with testing it (I just got the right extension ring from Aquatica yesterday) to check corner sharpness.

Brian

I also have the 17-40L - it's a great lens. I'll post some pool shots tonight when I get done with testing it (I just got the right extension ring from Aquatica yesterday) to check corner sharpness.

Although it is in the context of Seacam, not Aquatica, housings, I found this little comparison of the 17-40 vs. 16-35 by Stephen Frink interesting:

Frink's 17-40 vs. 16-35 comparison

Hi Brian,

How many millimeters long is the extension ring for the 17-40L?

Cheers

James

Just ordered my Ikelite equipment.

5D Housing

8" dome port

2 DS-125 Flash kits

Dual-sync cord.

Thanks all for your help!

- Robert

James -

Sorry about the delay - several exams this week in school, so I've been a little behind.

I have 2 extension rings stacked - the one for the 12-24 nikkor (#18456) and the one for the 100mm (I don't know part #). The total length of these 2 rings is 4.5cm, which looks slightly short to me (I've e-mailed Aquatica about it). My computer is fighting with me, so no crops to post, but the corners looked soft without a diopter - with a +4 they looked pretty good.

Thanks Brian, good, I'm all set then. I have those rings and I have a +1 and +4 diopter if I need one.

Cheers

James

No one has mentioned the 20mm prime lens from canon...I was considering this as my possible WA lens of choice instead of a zoom...have d70 now and the 12-24 nik and have never really been pleased with the results...but Dr. clearly seems to do very well with this lens...also does anyone else feel that the canon lenses focus faster than the nikons?

You will also want a macro lens.  Either Canon 100mm or Sigma 150mm.  Again both excelent lenses.  Here the desision is what kind of subjets you are after.  The 150 is better if you are interested in very small subjects (<2")  The 100 is better if you are more interested in larger subjets (8-12")  The range between either will work great.  I am more into smaller subjects so I went with the 150.

I went with the 28/2.8 over of these better primes because I was over budget allready and had to cut something somwhere and this is my least used lens.  I will probably end up getting the 24/1.4 before my next trip.

From what you say you use the Sigma 150m with an Ikelite but I don´t find it in the ikelite´s port list...What port do you use?

About the main topic, I´m thinking on getting a 5D with the sigma 15mm, canon 17-40, canon 100mm or sigma 150 (I didn´t know I could use it :lol: ) and I´d really like to be able to use the 24-70 but it (Ikelite) says is too wide (diameter talking...) 83.2mm by 80mm of the sigma 150mm. Has anyone tried the cheaper canon 24-85?.

What I haven´t been able to clear out is the right port/dome and diopter lens for the sigma 15mm and the 17-40...could someone be kind enough to put some light in my problems? :) since I have to order this material overseas is good to order the right things...

Thank you very much!!!

OK here goes. Some comments. Lenses are very personal and choice depends very much on what you enjoy taking photos of.

I own a 15 Canon but don't like fisheyes myself so rarely use it - remember that lighting can be a big factor if you go for a fisheye so your strobe(s) choice is important. The Sigma has a good reputation. Build quality of the Canon is probably better as is its resale value (goes for all Sigmas/Canons).

I've used Canon's 20/2.8 and 24/1.4 primes underwater. The 24 is by far the better lens but the 20 works surprisingly well underwater (ie its soft corners don't get much softer!). The 28/1.8 sounds interesting and I'd like to try this one myself - fast lenses give brighter viewfinder images. For these lenses you don't have to use a huge dome provided a smaller one is matched up well - most manufacturer's will have data on recommendations about their smaller domes and prime wide lenses.

I've also used the 17~40/4 which works well enough although its not up to the 24/1.4 - versatile though - check a zoom gear is available from the housing manufacturer you go with and a bigger dome is better. The 16~35/2.8 is faster and more expensive and by all accounts no better optically - I've a friend who uses one commercially and has no adverse comments about it.

The 24~70/2.8 isn't bad but would need a diopter to bring focus to anything like reasonable I would expect.

If you go for a Sigma Zoom - again check zoom gear availablity.

Macro - good choice of:

Sigma 50 - goes to 1:1 but I've always found Sigma 50s to be noisy and have had reliability issue (personally that is) - some people really like them and their optics are pretty good.

Canon 50mm - only goes to 1:2 but works well underwater - its useful in not so good conditions. I quite like it within its limitations. Very cheap for a lens of its optical quality.

Canon 100mm latest - stunningly good lens - by far my favourite macro lens to date. Both Canon's 50 and 100 macros have 'L' performance.

Caon 60/2.8 - with a 12mm extension tube this lens give a restricted focus but promises a lot - I've just got hold of one and will try it as soon as the mud which passes for sea near me settles down a bit.

Haven't bothered with any other macros - savings are not huge over the Canons and given the quality of the 100/2.8 I'd be hard pushed to recommend anything in its stead.

Lastly, I was talking to someone who is using the new 24~105 IS underwater (custom built gear/large dome) and he finds it very good - especially likes the IS at the wider end. If I can get a gear......

I finally got my housing port and extension rings all packed and will be testing them out this week.

I hope to have some data to report on two prime lenses: Canon 14mm f/2.8 L USM (recilinear) and the Canon 85mm f/1.2 L USM

I purchased the 14mm for WA specifically and have had such good lusk with the 85 on land I figured what the heck, I'll try it UW.

Hopefully Curacao cooperates next week.

Hello,

If you order a special port for the Sigma 150 make sure it is long enough to accomodate the Canon 500D Diopter. I think the diopter adds an additonal 8mm but I would go w/ 10mm to be careful. It makes the lens MUCH better to use as it brings the close focus back to the range of the 100mm lens, ie about 5 inches away instead of 16. In fact, w/ this diopter on, you can almost touch the port tip to your subject and still be able to focus.

I have the Sigma 24-70, I'll go check if it fits in the Ike port opening.

Cheers

James

Sorry, the Sigma 24-70 does not fit in the Ike port opening either.

Cheers

James

Well, I just had my first experience with the 5D and my bag o' lenses. They are all Canon primes.

I absolutely LOVE the Canon 14mm. Following are are some sample shots (sorry can't figure out how to get them into the one post):

1) 14mm at 1/320 f2.8 (CC20 Red filter + Cyan Strobe CC filters)

2) 100mm macro at 1/80 f32 + flash (Night dive)

3) 85mm 1.2L at 1/125 f5.6

4) 85mm 1.2L at 1/125 f5.6

5) Previous image w/o crop or edit

I've added the last two images as an example of how much you can crop with this camera...

I am still struggling with the one/two strobe issue. I like the lighting better with the two strobes but geeez what a pain to push thru the water.

The 100mm Macro is tough to focus as everyone has said but I'm hoping that when the ring flash comes in it wil make life easier.

The 85mm was a wildcard. It fit the same flat port as the 100mm Macro but the body of this lens is so large in diameter that the manual focus gear got in the way. An extension ring solved this for me. I really like the 85 for portraits. I took some "head shots" of several divers in our group and they were really nice. The bokeh on this lens is super. I think that this would be my choice for Sea Lion shots at the Oil Rigs. Pretty boring otherwise but maybe with better fish (and a better photogapher) it might be more interesting.

What dome was used with the 14mm? It looks like you have a fair amount of blurring at the edges with the 14mm, similar to what I am getting with the 16-35 behind the 6" dome.

Sponsors

Advertisements