robcomptec

Which lens config for Canon 5D in water?

What dome was used with the 14mm?  It looks like you have a fair amount of blurring at the edges with the 14mm, similar to what I am getting with the 16-35 behind the 6" dome.

I noticed that last night when I got the photos on the "big screen" too.

I'm using a 6" dome with a 25mm extension and cannot seem to get the entrance pupil location (seems to be a trade secret or something) so I'm having a difficult time locating the dome central to that.

If anyone can tell me the answer to these two questions I's appreciate it:

1) Do I want the entrance pupil location to match the center of the dome? I think Yes.

2) Does anyone know the location of this point on the Canon 14mm? Seems to be somewhere near 20mm behingd the front edge of the lens face...The engineers in Japan have flat said NO to my requests...

I understand that there are a few ways to find this point it is just that I only had 2 days between getting the dome and leaving for the trip...

Hi,

i'd like to know if you use the Ikelite Dome 8" with 1.4/24mm Canon ??

Thank you

I used it w/ the Aquatica 8" dome and they are very similar. With the Aquatica, I used about 25mm worth of extension on the dome.

HTH

James

Hi all !

I have the 5D. I am buying the Ikelite housing, I really like Ikelite from my past experiences. Questions: I bought the Canon 17-40L and the 100mm macro. What ports/domes/diopters/extensions, etc. do I need to buy for this lenses ? First time with a SLR underwater so I have no idea about ports and stuff. (it was really simple with my G5 !!)

thank you all very much.

Congrats, it's a great camera!. I've bought one as well & have the ikelite housing. Seems very nice, but I havn't had it in the water yet. As for ports- I have the new 8", (#5510.81) for the 17-40, which is great because when I want to use the fisheye I just have to switch to the shorter stalk, rather than needing a whole new dome. For the macro, it depends which version of the 100mm macro you have- refer to the port selection chart- http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/2port_canon.html

Anyway, so far I've tested the 17-40 in the 8" dome on land & it seems to work nicely. You shouldn't need diopters with either of these lenses (unless you want to be able to focus even closer with the macro).

Fergus

Anyone use/tried/opinion of the 24mm f/1.4? I have this lens which I bought for a low light purpose, Aurora Borealis. I tried it on my Digital Rebel but was wondering what I can expect going full frame? I bought the 8" dome before I changed cameras. I didn't realize it was going to be back ordered until after the upgrade. Will be getting 5D housing for my July dive trip.

--Chris

Yeah, it's excellent. The shots in my Bahamas Shear Water gallery taken at 24mm were made w/ this lens.

Cheers

James

Sweet combo James!

Here's one of my faves shot w/ the 24mm and the 8" Aquatica dome and 25mm extension:

MG_5847.jpg

Let me try to find one w/ some reef in the corners.

Cheers

James

Here's one w/ some reef - but it's cropped so don't know how useful it is:

MG_4608.jpg

24mm @ f9

Cheers

James

real photographers don't crop.....

wahahhahhaaaaa. right i am leaving.... :lol:

I don't know about you Mike, but when I'm making an 8x10 I crop...I guess I just have something against white paper on the sides...:-)

I know you're just kidding - I couldn't resist!

James

FYI, I calculated the entrance pupil location for my 14mm canon WA lans and it appears to be 53mm from the mating surface

Now to get the dome center placed correctly :)

post-5528-1149477013_thumb.jpg

I used it w/ the Aquatica 8" dome and they are very similar. With the Aquatica, I used about 25mm worth of extension on the dome.

HTH

James

Hi,

what do think about IKELITE Dome 8" for 5D and 1.4/24mm CANON ?

What extension i need to get the best pictures ?

I used extension 16mm, but i don't like the quality of pictures.

Thank you for your help or experience...

Sponsors

Advertisements