Photobeat

Need Advice on Slave or wired two strobe setups

Assuming you do not have TTL on your rig I was wondering if anyone really tested the difference on having the second strobe wired vs. just using slave flash for the second from the wired first strobe.

Hello Stephen

I often used my second Sb-105 in slave manual mode.

usually this would be in the macro situation as there is 100% certainty that it will behave as it should.

i've recently done a little testing on my new 12-24mm zoomer, this was carried out in using 1x Sb-105 wired the other slaved on 8-4 tlc arms & all worked well

take a look. simple pool test of myself holding the camera at me.

post-4127-1139594307_thumb.jpg

the strobes were tested in lots of different position and worked 100% of the time.

However , i must say that this was in a indoor pool that is quite dark, and that the camera is approx 1.5ft away from me.

I've completed some testing a long time ago using a pair of Ys90 Duo in a typical WA situation with blue water around and it was HIT & MISS as the reflectance is very low to trigger the slave.

Personally i always DUAL cable my SB-105's if shoot blue water WA shots, If i know i might have to disconnect a strobe underwater to say BACK LIGHT a subject with a strobe in a cave or similar, then i'll wire up with a single cord.

hope this helped a little

regards

Craig

Thanks - I appreciate it - I wanted the option to disconnect and backlight - I think I would if it was 100% of the time but for sure reliability I guess the second cord is the way to go. Hope to see more responses thanks for yours.

I often use a slave strobe for macro, where it fires about 99%.

Wide angle, not so much. It seems to fire maybe 30%. This is using the slave built into the strobe, however, not a separate slave controller.

It is handy for disconnect oddball slave placement...if I'm entering the water anticipating this (WA), I'll take a third strobe in a pocket, and have the other two wired.

All the best, James

A solution for WA with slave can be Colin's suggestion with the fiber optic cable, that mention few thread down here.

Sponsors

Advertisements