Ryan

AF-L/AE-L or Thumb Actuated Focus, Which one?

Which function is more important to the way you take pictures, thumb activated AF-L/AE-L, or Thumb Activated AF-On?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which function is more important to the way you take pictures, thumb activated AF-L/AE-L, or Thumb Activated AF-On?

• Autofocus/Auto Exposure Lock
    • AF On
    • Doesn't Matter, I shoot manual focus and manual exposure

In the past, Nikon and Canon SLR cameras have allowed a button that is easily reached from housing handles to be configured as either AF-L/AE-L or Autofocus On. For Canon, this is the star button that has been discussed here at length.

On the D200, there is a seperate button for AF-ON and AF-L/AE-L. There functions can not be reprogrammed in the menu. If you could choose to have one routed to the handle for easy access, which would it be?

Hi Ryan

I tend to use AE LOCK & HOLD when shooting Aperture Priority.

just my way.

i tend to expose for the lighter surface waters, LOCK IT then recompose and shoot, this usually renders my background water a nice dark blue.

craig

I programed the button on my D2X for AF. I want the shutter to fire the instant I trigger it.

Hi Ryan

I tend to use AE LOCK & HOLD when shooting Aperture Priority.

just my way.

i tend to expose for the lighter surface waters, LOCK IT then recompose and shoot, this usually  renders my background water a nice dark blue.

craig

Precisely!

Joe

I think this really depends on whether you shoot AF-S or AF-C.

I exclusively shoot AF-C and the AF-On button is my preferred way to activate focus tracking. If I shot in AF-S, I'd probably go for the AE/AF button.

For AF-C shooters this control is used for EVERY shot. AE/AF is only used occassionally.

Karl

If you read Ike's website on their D200 housing you will see they are debating this very question. If you think you might be a customer for the Ike D200 housing you might want to read over their website and e-mail them your preference.

I do use AF-C and as mentioned above use the button on AF. Before the D2X I shot the D100 this way.

I have to say that I never use the AF-Lock or the AF - On button. I use AF-C, like Dave and use the various focus points to get off centre compositions.

Alex

Alex, how do you activate focus?.....half depress?

Like you, I use the multi-selector button to move my focus point around to suit composition, but I find that the AF-on button is much easier to activate focus than the half depress of the shutter

Karl

I use manual exposure so the AE-L has no meaning for me.

Usually I use AF-C on the focus points, until no I didn't tried the AF-On but I have to try it next time.

I personally still prefer to use manual focus as much as possible.

When I do use the AF is is on AF-S and the only need I have in the MSC or AF/AE lock is to locke the focus in place. So I only need the AF locke feature.

I have, up until now used the MSC to lock my focus with my left hand which has less to do than my rigt.

It all depends on the ergonomics of the housing....

Mauricio Handler

AE-Lock? Does my camera have one of these? I just press the button and sort it out with the RAW converter!

Sponsors

Advertisements