motionsync

What is wrong with some UW housing producers

Her the story. I have a Nikon d70s and a Nexus d70s housing. Both are great in quality i just was on the way to replace my Nikon d70s with a Nikon D200 altenativ Canon 5d

I was thinking to check the european manufacturers and see who will have a housing finish on the beginning off mai becauce i love to shoot my next big photo asigment with my new camera..

Now the problem..

I am living in the wintertime in Sweden and in sommertime in Egypt & Greece.

Becauce off that i like to order directly from the producer so i have the support in whatevery counry i am and becauce Greece & Egypt have not resealers.

Can you belive it that they told me that if you in the time you housing is ready you are in Sweden YOU MUST BUIT it from Sweden representator.

Now you will say what wrong with that.. off cource if i have a guy her around that seel housings and he know about UW housings and have great service, what the hell no problem but if i have one that everytime I ask something he must contact the producer and then everything is going back to him and from there to me and it take 1-2 wekks just to get a price, i just lose time.. not to forget that offen i know more about the subject as him...

No only that i pay my money to a new producer but in the same time i would make great promotion for him as i will on end off August speek for the Swedish professional Photographers assosietion about UW photography and Gear..

What better promotion you will have if every pro in Sweden know that the XY housing is good and works and and and...

I dont get it that as a cosmopolit that lives in many countrys i must pay my money to someone that just cant help me the way i whant and dont support me the way i like.

I pay not just for a housing. I pay for support to and with this producers know that a I will be

A loyal and

B (in my case) i will make free promotion...

On the end I feel that i will again go with japan becauce untill now i have a service from there and great prices to..imaging this better service from japan....

To make a great housing say nothing. to seel it and keep happy customers is the way to go.

Sad bad true...

Just my two cents

Lambis

Hey Lambis, I can tell you are upset - your english is not up to your usual high standards.

But I would not be too upset that the manufacturer does not want to sell direct to customers. Most manufacturers don't.

It sounds like the real issue is you are afraid that when you need service post-sale you will have to go through the store in sweeden. Did you ask the manufacturer if they would service your housing without going through the store you purchased it at? I bet they will.

William

Yes my english is not high standards. I was never in a eglish class in my life... :-)

Maybe a manufacturer would service my housing but service beginn

before prusale.

As questions about ports & lenses, buttons , features, prices etc..

I have try both ways

Send a email to resealler.. and he contact the manufacturer and I wait and wait...

Send a email to manufacturer and he forward to resealler that send me a email and tell me that he have contact the manufacturer and I wait and wait...

So whats the point??

If i was i USA i will bye from Ryan´that is readdy and know the job, In U.K. htere are many releallers that are good.

In Taiwan i get ansers that i can get in my country so whats the deal to buy from a resealler?

I pay much money for housing and ports and options.. i dont get the items for free...

Lambis

most (or even all?) european manufactures sell and do service directly to the customers over here. AFAIK, companies like UK-Germany and Sealux don't even have a distribution/service network for selling outside the country. Subal and Seacam do have ...

Julian

Julian you know exaclty about what i am talking.. ;-)

Lambis,

I can understand the frustration that you are freeling - imagine the frustration that a "stocking reseller / local distributor" must feel when a manufacturer deals direct with a customer from their region or territory.

Providing service & advice is one thing, but actually selling direct is a whole other issue.

I would recomend that you contact you manufacturer of choice , explain the issues that you have and ask them to direct you to a dealer that provides the type of support you need.

From reading your post I would suggest that you take up the issue of poor support / product knowledge with the local agent to see if they can improve on it for you.

Perhaps they too, are overwhelmed by the rapid changes in equipment and technology in our field.

My 2 cents

Peter

As questions about ports & lenses, buttons , features, prices etc..

I have try both ways

Send a email to resealler.. and he contact the manufacturer and I wait  and wait...

Send a email to manufacturer and he forward to resealler that send me a email and tell me that he have contact the manufacturer and I wait  and wait...

So whats the point??

Wow that is awfull. I would not buy from them either.

Peter i have contact the manufacturer and explain the issues ,...

I have done everything that you guys tell me to do...

I am not just angry without reasson .. i have my reassons ..

and i dont care how frustratet a stocking reseller or local distributor is

if he doesnt do the job but only sitt on distirbutor rights and rip off the people.

I mean look att Ryan, oceanoptics, Frank etc.. they are just great doing her job.. Those resellers and distributors are what we need not those that

a: not can help &

b: offen give wrong infos.

Lambis

Lambis,

I understand your frustration.

I just spent several months tracking down info on Port/Ring Stobes and Housing options for my Canon 5D. I did go into this with my eyes wide open and expected the typical delay getting the information. You would think that living in the US would have made things easier but it did not.

In the end I selected the UK-Germany housing. Uwe doesn't even have a distributor in the US so I bought this unit sight unseen from a distributor in Canada. I purchased my housing based completely upon the reputation of the manufacturer.

I'm sure I'll have some issues getting parts/service at some point but I hope they are not too major. Only time will tell.

Distributors have their place in the food chain for sure but the Manufacturer alpys a large part in the purchase decision too.

BTW, your English is better than my "other" languages!

Hi Lambis,

Sorry to hear about your stresses. Although I can sympathise with the manufacturers for supporting their dealers - otherwise if the manufacturer is always selling direct the dealers will loose their business and stop stocking their brand.

The general advice I always give is to find a good dealer and work with them. This will guarentee that you always get excellent service and help. No dealer is going to waste two hours of their time on the phone, when they get the impression you are sending emails everywhere. There are waiting lists everywhere for D200 and 5D housings and certainly stockists of Subal and Seacam for example can sell all the units they can make. Also the manufacturers can sell all they can make.

Generally I avoid speaking directly to the manufacturers (in fact I don't even have an email address for my housing manufacturer, Subal, on my computer). Just find a good dealer. I don't think it matters what country the dealer is in. In all the years I have been with Subal I have never had to get anything repaired or adjusted on any of my housings (although it is nice to know that I can).

Find a good dealer and stick with them. Sometimes it may cost you a bit more - but it will help you get the kit you want, when you want it, with the support you need.

Hope you get this sorted soon.

Alex

I don't think there is a solution for Lambis

I think he is telling us that he has no good dealers in Sweeden, he is disappointed by their lack of knowledge and inability to provide any ihouse service apart from selling.

I agree with him, why should he buy from a retailer when if he asks the retailer a question they askthe manufacturer, so his answer takes longer than itwould if he asked himself direct to the manufacturer. Now imagine he needs a replacement, he needs to wait for them to ask the manuafacturer which part they need, then they recheck with Lambis its the right bit .. then order it ... even more delay. Then if he needs it serviced ... you get the point.

He also spends half the year away from Sweeden .. so having a local dealer is pointless for him as he doesn't use the equipment much there the bulk of its use is egypt and greece where there is no retailer so he has to contact manufacturers for his needs then !!!

I can completely sympathise as we have the same problem down here.

Even though we have some very knowledgable people at Cathy Church's they too for obvious island reasons can't stock everything (but they do a very good job) and they can't always fix everything. However in my case I actually appreciate them sending things back for me .. it saves me the trouble.

I thin k the real issue for Lambis must really be coming from the fact he feels he knows more about the product than the retailer, yet he still has question ... so who does he ask .. the wait is pointless when he asks the retailer.

It's kinda like being in highschool ... you have a maths problem .. instead of asking the teacher you decide to go and ask a kid 5 years below you ... that kid then goes and asks theteacher and then comes and tells you ... it's a bad way of doing things.

Good luck to Lambis ... hope you find a solution ... i hate being annoyed over small things like that too that seem so simple to fix. Yet no one has an answer.

nb. I know nothing about swedish retailers I was just reiterating what I thought the point here was as most people's replys seem to ignore it.

nb2. i also recognise there are some great international retailers that he could use .. but the point was here that they are useless too him as they aren't local so why shouldn't he be allowed to go direct.

PS Lambis .. as Peter Mooney suggested .. I wold contact your manufacturer of choice no you have thi soff your chest .. and explain your problem and frustration calmly to them, and then explain why it would be good for you to go direct through them and ask if it would please be possible .. and see what they say. If that fails .. then i guess you're going to be learning Japanese

Sadly, I think there are only a few places in the world that provide the kind of service, knowledge and inventory that we'd all like to see. Like Alex said, good housings should require minimal service, but getting the order right from the start - everything you need and nothing that you don't need - takes a knowledgeable dealer. If you can't get that in Sweden, consider ordering international. Backscatter, Scubapix, Ryan, UW Photo Tech, Stephen Frink - in my experience these guys all know their stuff, respond quickly, and give much more candid advice than you'll ever get from the manufacturer. THey'll happily tell you the ups and downs of each system and even direct you somewhere else for items when necessary. Not sure what tax issues this may introduce - service is priceless!

I have to confess that I don't remember the last time I asked one of the local dealers here something about photography in general & u/w photography in particular.

The data you can find here and in other resources in the net are much more then most of the dealers have.

We have here a very good dealer for u/w photography that I use for ordering parts

and so, but when I need something I usually find it here (its helps also that your housing manufacture is here also :unsure: )

This problem is universal...our hobby is pretty specialized. Even here in the US equipment is pretty much mail order only.

I tried buying through my local dive shop. They were good at taking down my order and delivering the items while charging me retail prices and sales tax. But they aren't any help at all with stocking parts, letting me see the items before I buy or answeing questions. Only now do they have some housings available--mostly employee personal equipment on display. A few years ago even this was impossible to imagine.

But Ryan does a great job and his prices are pretty cometitive now. I get pleanty of info at this site, from Ryan and directly from the manufacturers. If I have a problem with (Ikelite equipment) at least I send it direct to the manufactuer. Their service is fantastic.

Boo. Hoo Giles... On Grand Cayman are lucky to have Cathy Church's with great diving right in front of the shop. I bought a lens there and even got to try it out and get Cathy's critique of the results before I bought it. I can't imagine better service than that.

The one problem is in paying for items purchased online. If I buy locally, I can easially pay with cash and keep the purchases below the radar :unsure: , if I buy online I have to think up a good story before the next credit card statement hits.

Even here in the US equipment is pretty much mail order only.

That's probably true to some extent but it's worth noting there are exceptions. The truth is that we do have the benefit of some very helpful and knowledgeable stores that function as tradional "brick and mortar" outfits here in the US. In fact, two of them are sponsors of this site. I've walked in to Backscatter more than once to hit a sales person up for a bit of advice regarding equipment that I purchased from them. I recently purchased a new body from Underwater Photo-Tech. They're on the east coast so I won't be paying a visit anytime soon but I get the sense that they serve the same hands-on role for their New England customers.

It depends on where in the US you live--and its a big place. Admittedly the sponsors do have brick and mortar stores but for me at least they are several days drive away. I think this is true for most people as well as only a handful of them exist. The internet is a huge help here.

Absolutely.

I also totally understand Lambis' frustration. There can't be that many people in the world spending money on underwater photography equioment. You would think that both the dealers and the manufacturers would be doing everything possible to support their customer base.

Like the other Wetpixel sponsors our customer base is world wide. Only a small portion of our business is walk-in retail. We support our customer's via phone, email and through the online forums. Actually in many cases regardless of whether they are our customer or not. Again like the other sponsors here we exhibit and attend virtually all of the dive related trade shows and offer photo related dive travel and workshops. There are many, many ways that you can get the support you need on the products you wish to purchase.

Sorry for being such a bitch!

But our country is spelled Sweden, with one e!

I know you quys "ower there" are having some troubbles placing our small country on the map, but now you atleast know how it is spelled :unsure:

/Jonas, Sweden

WOW Guys

i was hopping for some response, but this.....

Alex

You are right about finding a good dealer. But if i cnat find one or the one that is good is in USA?

Maybe i will do it , guys as Ryan Scubapix, UW Photo Tech, Stephen Frink etc is the way to go.. but still sad that i must go to usa and not

around the corner in Europe.....

Lambis

This is a bit crazy, isn’t it? Buying the housing outside and re-import it again. I am not a tax/custom expert, but price could possibly double up in the end as well.

If the manufacture does not want to provide you direct service as he does to Austrian and German customers, this housing brand gives you the kind of service of its representative in Sweden, not more or less. If that service is poor, consider it as being poor and evaluate housing/brand choices from your point of view (Sweden).

Julian

Right Julian

tax/custom will kill me... anyway i am thinking if the manufacturers dont get this problem and are not flexible enough to help with solutions then is nothing to do. I just will go with a other housing manufacturer...

Now they are many great out there.. The monopol of exlusive housings is over...:-)

Lambis

Hi Lambis, I can totally relate to your situation. Im in Amsterdam/Europe about half of the year, then about 3 months in the US (actually, US Virgin Islands) and the rest traveling around. I try to use 1 or 2 retailers for gear, but its not always that easy, especially if you need something yesterday and your regular retailer doesnt have it. Add to that tax/import issues and things become really complicated. I have also noticed that not only do some retailers not really (want to) understand tax/import problems, they actually are peeved if you order from someone else anyways so you dont have to pay import taxes. I understand of course that when you buy a $5000 camera someplace else it's not fun for them, but i wish they at least try to see your point of view.

I dont see any reason whatsoever why you would have to buy from a Swedish retailer. That to me seems like a manufacturer still living in the times before internet :D You should be able to buy from any european retailer and not have any tax problems. (although im not absolutely positive this is valid for Sweden). It might even be illegal under european law to prevent you from buying in another country.

I have had pretty good experiences mailing with the manufacturer of my equipment, but good retailers (like some mentioned here, OceanOptics, Cathy/Herb Church, Backscatter etc) are often just as good in answering your questions. Pick a good european retailer, and stick with them as much as you can. In Europe you cant go wrong with OceanOptics, if they handle your brand of housing.

Cor

Hey Lambis, not sure where you are when you are in Sveden (sorry, Sweden), but why not make a date with Steve at Ocean Optics then jump on a cheap flight over to Stansted or Luton and shoot into London for a face to face and hands on play. Make a weekend of it to really make it worthwhile. You never know you may even be able to tempt a few UK-based wetpixelers to join you for a chat and beer.

I agree it is a royal pain in the neck when you can't work with a local dealer - I had this when living in Ireland but people like Steve are so helpful that it's not really such a big issue as it could be.

Sponsors

Advertisements