cor

Sandisk ultra III 4GB in D2x

Hi all, i need to buy another 4GB card and am wondering if anyone is using the SanDisk Ultra III in their D2x, and if so, if you're happy with it. Ive been using 80x Lexar cards, but now that SanDisk has slashed their prices in half the SanDisk looks a lot better :D

Cor

I do not have a D2x or 4Gig card so no first hand experience from me.

But incase you havent seen Gob Galbraith's CF card Data base the Sandisk Extreme III is second fastest 4 GIG card on the D2x at 8.815MB/sec. The 4gig 80X Lexar is only 6.981MB/sec :D

The fastest 4 Gig card on the D2x, is by Hoodman at 9.071MB/sec. No clue where you can get one, or what they cost but might be another one to consider.

Thanks acro, hadnt seen that one! I'll be buying the 4GB Sandisk then :D You can buy 2 for the price of a lexar and i havent heard anything about lexar lowering their prices..

Cor

I personally would use whatever cheapest 4GB card I could buy as the buffer and writing speed on the D2X is pretty good that CF card speed was never an issue especially for underwater photography. The only real benefit is when you download the picture as it will take less time but that is about it.

I use Kingston 4GB card on to download a full card onto my portable CF card reader/HD, it only took about 3 minutes.

I have had a Lexar Pro 4GB in my D2X since new (its 1 year birthday is next week). I have never used another card and have taken more than 19,000 pix on my travels (plus a fair few in the UK) without every getting close to a buffer or having a problem.

My friend bought me this card in NY. So there was no brand decision making on my part.

Oh actually in all that time I have had three corrupt images - always when the card is totally full.

Alex

my D2X since new (its 1 year birthday is next week).

Alex

So Alex? Are we invited to your cameras' birthday party? Perhaps you could arrange for your camera to go swimming in beer(in the housing of course) to celebrate the event :D

ohh, and where can I download the trailer? :o

Alex, ive always had Lexar too. Never had any problems, and always been reliable. Im basically going for price here, and SanDisk is the clear winner there right now. It'll probably be different next week :D

My wife is buying a D2x too (she finally seems to have given up on slides after more and more places refuse to process them and she got tired of doing it herself), so we need some 4GB cards soonish. Dont want to wait until Lexar drops in price also.

Cor

>>>Hi all, i need to buy another 4GB card and am wondering if anyone is using the SanDisk Ultra III in their D2x, and if so, if you're happy with it.

Hi Cor,

I use this exact card in my D2x and like it a lot. No problemas. I'm actually thinking about buying a second one as a backup for an upcoming trip in a few weeks.

Regards,

Michael

www.mpostock.com

Also in the Market for a 4gig.

My lexar's never let me down, any one had scandisk problems with smaller cards? Also who has the best price on the 4gig scandisk?

Also in the Market for a 4gig.

My lexar's never let me down, any one had scandisk problems with smaller cards? Also who has the best price on the 4gig scandisk?

I have 2 smaller Transcend and 1 smaller sandisk, all about 2-3 years old and all still work just fine. My Kingston 4GB card is about 8 months old.

Well, Rob Galbraith's website shows avg r/w speeds. If the difference is less than 10% you probably wouldn't notice it. Ask Frogfish who has taken over my 4GB card why he thinks it's essential to go 4+GB on the D2X.

Sandisk Extreme III are very fast on transfer to computer via their card readers. Lexar took a hit in credibility when they had that problem with the 80x cards in Canons. And the sandisk is now the leader for value/gb/speed. As someone else said, there's not a strobe out there that can keep up with the D2X buffer, so unless you shoot in natural light a lot, the Ultra II are the better bargains. The Extreme III are built to be more rugged.

I've got both the Sandisk Extreme III and a Hitachi 6Gb.

My plan is to use the Solid state card for my UW stuff because in the unlikely event of a flood, the microdrive would be more at risk.

I very rarely fill the cameras buffer (Canon 5D) so the speed of the card really isn't something I notice.

Only on 2 occasions have I noticed the wait... the first was taking some surfing pictures (and I can't remember which card I used) and the second was at the Professional Bull Riding competition last weekend. I was shooting with the microdrive and found the wait a little too long. I think the speed of the Sandisk would have been nice but I chose capacity over speed for that event.

As an aside, shooting at ISO800+ didn't turn out too badly. I had hoped to stick with 400 but when those cowbos go flyin' they are really moving!!

I've been using Ultra II's and Extreme III's in my D2x with no problems.

They are definatley a great bargin with the new price drops.

Actually, if you are thinking about buying, there is a "secret link" to B&H that will give you even cheaper prices.

Standard Pricing

2 GB Extreme III $109.95

4 GB Extreme III $239.95

Super Secret Pricing :D

2 GB Extreme III $98.96

4 GB Extreme III $215.96

If you are interested in these "super secrect" prices for other items, just search B&H for PSJAN06 That will bring the first 250 items up, and then you can filter by manufacturer. They are trade show prices.

Looks like B&H and Adorama are out of stock already :D

Cor

After Lexar's recent incompatibility screwup with Canon cameras, I now pretty much only use Sandisk Ultra or Extreme cards, which are fast and have never let me down.

I was on a trip last summer and someone was shooting with a Sandisk (maybe it was Lexar?) 4 gig card with a D2X and it was all new. He hadn't tried the card. It gave him a FAT 32 error. Can someone explain this? Is it correctable or was it simply a bad disk? He ended up using a 1-gig card.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Not really sure of the answer in your buddy's case. Maybe it was commenting on how much lunch he had eaten? Or maybe the D2X can also analyse oxygen content in nitrox. Ho ho.

Sorry! Bad jokes aside, a lot of disk errors I see on trips can be fixed by ensuring that the card is pushed in properly. And always format card in the camera - rather than deleting images via the computer.

Alex

And always format card in the camera - rather than deleting images via the computer.

I *always* delete in the computer, and haven't had any problems. You just have to make sure that you eject the card or "stop" the device before removing it.

I also format on computer via the card reader. Allows for Fat32 32k or higher, which can increase r/w speed.

Looks like B&H and Adorama are out of stock already :)

Cor

www.robertsimaging.com still claims to have them for $240.

Sponsors

Advertisements