Sign in to follow this  
ccorogenes

Diopter required for Canon 17-85zoom

I recently purchased an Ikelite housing for a Canon 20D DSLR and a port for the Canon 17-85mm Zoom. Ikelite reccomends using a +4 Dopter for this lens port combination. I still don't understand why and if it is absolutely necessary. Can any one explain or does anyone have experience with the lens and port combo.

Simple answer is that the system will focus with far less accuracy without the +4-

dome point alters " virtual image". ie where the target appears to sensor as to where it really is.......it will work sometimes but less often........I know cause I have forgotten to put it on several times :)

Then you can't get a focus lock ie red flash in viewfinder, won't shoot exposures without focus and that is when you remember the diopter............

GREAT combo though..........examples here with diopter

http://splash.smugmug.com/gallery/1204003

it just works better with it get the B + H version it allows good macro topsite as well.............

=

Additional explanation is the +4 isn't "nice to have" with the Canon 17-85mm lens behind the special Ikelite dome port.... IT'S REQUIRED TO ACHIEVE full range focus UNDERWATER.

Underwater a dome port creates an "apparent image" the lens thinks is maybe 10" - 12" in front of the lens. Since the Canon 17-85mm lens can only focus to 1.2 feet you NEED a diopter to increase close focus capability.

Above water where any port simply acts as a window (IN AIR) forgetting to put your +4 on will not become noticeable. UNDERWATER as many state without the Ikelite recommended +4 diopter you will not be able to get a focus lock except maybe 8-10 feet away (!!!)

When you install your +4 and want to take a test shot ABOVE WATER you need to get VERY CLOSE to get a focus lock. Underwater you'll then have full range focus capbility behind a DOME port.

Hope this explanation helps!

dhaas

P.S. - I have always used B&W diopters in the last couple years. They are very good quality for the money. Available at B&H in NYC with no hassles...

To all who replied to my inquiry many thanks. I am relieved to know I made a good purchase and now understand the +4 Diopter requirement. I will have an opportunity to try it out in Bonaire next month.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements