Nikon just popped a reminder in my mailbox advertizing the new 105mm AFS VR. How nice of them. <_<

Their new slogan..."Most people are just one lens away from the pictures they really want".

That's exactly how I feel...... :angry:

(No not really. Of course its the photographer that really matters. So I need some support here to convince myself that the 105mm I've got is all I really need. )

Autofocus may be better/faster. I don't believe VR will be of benefit underwater, unless I'm missing something on how is actually works. VR to allow shooting at slower shutter speeds is intended for handholding cameras topside. Doesn't that assume that the subject is stationary & the camera has minor movement at some frequency range & amplitude? Or maybe the camera is on a tripod & the subject has minor movement. If this is the case, the corresponding frequency & amplitude of motion underwater will be alot different. And would this only apply to available light shots vs total strobe? Does the new lens have a [AF/M - M] switch so you can manual focus when you're in AF mode? Probably a great lens, but for underwater use the benefits may be somewhat lilmited. We need some testing with different Nikons & housings to answer our many questions. Saw a post listing a $1000 pricetag.

I played with a sample of it awhile back and it was nice and fast. I don't own a 105mm macro currently so I am definitely on the new 105mm bandwagon.

Can't comment on picture quality as I was not allow to take any picture with it but on a D2X, low light focusing ability was really quite amazing in comparison to my 70-180mm. May be still a tad slower than 60mm macro but not by much.

The new 105AFS-VR is the lens I've been hoping to see for a long time. I'm not sure how well the VR will work at close range but I would buy it for the AFS alone. The 105 has always been my weak link when it comes to auto-focus so I welcome the opportunity to shell out $1000.

If the 105AFS-VR works nearly as well as I hope it could change my mind about what camera body I decide to go with for my next system. After all, if the silent wave motor works really well maybe I don't need a system with CAM2000.

Sorry mate but I figure that your nascent group of hold outs is basically stuffed.

I did suffer a bit when I saw Boi's comment about the lens being slower than the 60mm - the AFS on my 'stock' 18-70 is awesomely quick - maybe I misread it somehow.

Paul C

My 105mm is old (got it when I was shooting an F801/N8008s) and it has seen a massive amount of use. So I have no problem in justifying the upgrade.

I am interested to see which port will work best with this lens. Although buying it will incur considerable extra costs in new dioptres.

Does nikon make any dioptres in 62mm mounts? Also I presume that this lens will work with the TC-20 AFS teleconverter?

Alex

The dioptre issue is complicated further for me as I would like to get something that works on my Sigma 150mm as well (and fits on the new Nikon 105mm with a step down ring). James speaks very highly about the Canon 500D, which is bloody expensive here in the UK, but I am seriously tempted...

If anyone happens to know, I would be interested to see a listing of the dioptre strengths of the Canon and Nikon close up filters. In fact it might be interesting to also list the various wetlenses too: macromate, Woody's/Nexus, Seacam I & II etc.

Alex

Only know for Canon dioptres. They state focal length (dioptre = 1m / focal length)

500D -> 500mm focal length -> +2 dioptre

250D -> 250mm focal length -> +4 dioptre

Wondering if anyone has used one of those tall sized Nikon and Canon achromatic closeup lenses on wide wideangles? I think they would vignet pretty easily.

Julian

Nikon 3T and 5T supplementary lenses are both +2 diopters,

and the 4T and 6T supplementary lenses are both +3 diopters.

I think the 3T and 5T are +1.5 diopter; I don't have one here but that power is confirmed here.

Also, both the Nik 'T' and Canon 'D' are achromatic doublets.

I'm with you Newbie.... no new 105 for me!!! Unless i win lottery

Sponsors

Advertisements