Sign in to follow this  
tovy

what is Palau Like

I am considering to staying at the Palau Pacific Hotel? Is that the best place to stay in Micronesia for diving? What are the currents like? Do you have to hang on to a rope or anchor in order to not be swept away?

PPR hotel is very nice. It's the most upscale of the hotels in Palau.

The 1hr. ride through the Rock Islands every day is beautiful if you don't mind long rides to dive. The dive op right at the hotel (Splash?) is very good. The boats are comfortable and fast.

As far as the diving, it ranges from no current to speak of to ripping at places like the famous Blue Corner. Don't be too worried, the DM's will supply reef hooks if needed and drop you in up current from the site. They keep the group together and motion for you to hook in where they want you. Then they inflate a marker on a reel and bring everybody up together where the boat picks you right up.

The alternate would be to do a liveaboard. It would be my preference after having been there. The island is beautiful and quiet, but not much to do there. You'll get a better range of diving from liveaboard.

Hello,

My husband and I went to Palau last December and it was AWESOME! We stayed on the Big Blue Explorer live-a-board and really enjoyed it. I would say that we had a great advantage being on a boat rather then in a hotel. We were able to get in 5 dives a day vs people staying in a hotel only getting in 2 a day because of the travel time. As far as the currents, I would say that they are not a problem for intermedate to experienced divers. We hooked in 3 times and saw some really great marine life when we did, the rest of the diving was wall and reef diving.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements