Sign in to follow this  
Alex_Mustard

I wanna go diving

I am suffering here in the UK. It is cold. And I want to go diving, somewhere warm and I am looking for suggestions. One of my resolutions for this year was to get new subject matter (for me) in front of my lens and to rebuild my portfolio after it has been eroded by The Art Of Diving.

I guess my wish-list for a location is:

Plentiful subject matter

Photographer friendly diving conditions (i.e. not drift or group diving)

Grown up dive schools. I want to be able to do what I want (although that usually means pottering around at 5m).

Chance to meet other photographers for banter.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. The two windows I am looking to fill are May and July.

Either answer here or email me. Thanks in advance,

Alex

as you didn't state easy to get to ..

Vanuatu .. Truk ... Cocos ... Hawaian Island like Kaui Maui etc ?

or for the road less travelled (i read about this place recently)

Fernando de Noronha in Brazil.

I love Cocos (will do my 4th trip this summer), but it's mostly drift driving and it's usually best to "maintain contact" with the group.

...and it sure ain't easy to get to, as Giles notes.

All the best,

Chris

Do you ever try "Los Roques Islands" front of Venezuela in the caribbean??? You have a nice live aboard there... Outstanding site.

Galapgos in July and spend as much time at Darwin as possible. Where you'll be so busy shooting the whalesharks and hammerheads that you ignor the less interesting subjects like plain old reef sharks and turtles.

The downside is that it not really tropical. You'll need at least a 5mm wetsuit.

The Philippines. Easy flights from the UK, very safe (even with today's news), great diving, phenomenal shooting

stu

How about the Cocos/Ningaloo trip in October? It's a ways away but we've designed it to be specifically for photographers (or wannabes in some of our cases!) and we will be exclusive. There's a note in the forum about it and you can have a chat to Rand or PM me.

What about California diving Alex? Have you ever dove in a forest of giant kelp? It's not exactly warm, but warmer than the North Sea...:-)

Cheers

James

I second the Philippines!

Or Palau and Yap

Thanks for the ideas guys. I had kinda forgotten about this thread. Been busy trying to get the new style and content on my website working. Which it just about is now!

I really like herb's suggestion on Galap in July. Anyone know of any trips? I'd like to go with like minded souls?

Other than that I think I am going to look at going to the islands off eastern Borneo in May. I want to do that trip flying solo as I really enjoy the focus of travelling on my own. Not having to talk to people really improves my photography!

And keep the Philippines as a back up for either trip.

I also like the idea of Australia in October/November time - although the run in to Christmas will be another heavy season for promoting AoD. We'll have to see if I can get some time off for good behaviour!

Well that is the wish list. The reality may be somewhat different.

Alex

galapagos in july is prime whale shark time. I went on the aggressor there a few years ago, and we saw them on ever dive at wolf and darwin. You cant beat galapagos for drama , one of my favorite places

I'm going to be in the Islands off of Borneo in July; 10 to 19th I believe.

Check out www.galapogosadventures.com they have 2 spaces open for Darwin/Wolf trip July 2-11th.

I am going July 23 - August 1, but that appears to be sold out.

TomC :P

or for the road less travelled (i read about this place recently)

Fernando de Noronha in Brazil.

Hey Gilles, Fernando de Noronha is a road *very* travelled. There are only three dive shops in the island. They are always booked full and won't let you stay in the water a minute over the plan (which many times for me it means surfacing with 1500 pounds in the tank).

The fauna is pretty similar to the Caribbean, except that it has only 1/4 of the fish diversity and 1/10 of the coral diversity found in the Caribbean, so I wouldn't recommend it for UW photo. There is one dive site called "Pedras Secas" that is pretty nice and has great viz, but that's about it. But if you want an exotic destination that is really pretty topside, this may be a good choice.

Luiz

Well Luiz they also have the corvette and brasileiras who totally make up for any deficiencies in u/w :). Ze Marias at sunset is probably as good as it gets in Brazil.

Alex, in July I believe if you contact Eric or me about a certain run, we may be able to accomodate an extra brit.

If not, Cocos/Malpelo in July is hot esp with La Nina rearing her head. Philippines and Indonesia for coral and muck (unless you know secret spots :o)

I second the California diving... if you've never been. Monterey/Carmel during late June/early July or any of the Channel Islands during the Fall (quite a bit warmer)... great diving.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements