Udo van Dongen

Nikkor 10.5mm Fisheye and D200

Hi All,

I'm an uw photographer who's making the switch from a compact camera to DSLR. I had several reasons for this and one of them was the fact that i had some chromatic aberations with my Canon G5 compact camera.

Last week i bought myself a D200 with the Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheyelens. I expected from this camera and lens that artefacts like CA's would not occur. Unfortunately i discovered quit a lot of them during testing on land on the sides of the images. Is this normal? Do i have to accept some CA's or should i go back to the store.

Furthermore, i read about the vertical banding in the D200 at ISO 400. This should only occur with cameras from the first production series. I noticed this vertical banding in my camera as well, despite the fact that i have a 'freshly' imported camera from the official dutch importer. Is anyone else in the forum experiencing the same phenomena? Or am i just too critical?

cheers, Udo

Hi Udo!

Have you been reading this:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12301

(Thread started by me!).

I have been surching the Internet for underwater images, taken with this lens and none of these shows any chromatic aborrations, which I can't say with the topside photos I found! Even quite small pictures shows some CA in the high contrast areas in the corners!

So far I came to the conclusion, that the problem with CA is nothing to worry about, as long as we talk about underwaterphotography.

Perhaps D2x, D70 users, who are already shooting with this lens can confirm it!?

Hope this helps and bring some peace in your soul!

Kim! :-)

Hi guys,

I use this lens a lot and never noticed any CA with my D2x. Here is a link for my Belize gallery:

http://www.luizrocha.com/Belize/index.html

All wide angle photos were taken with the 10.5.

Luiz

Udo, for what it's worth, I have 2 D200's and neither one is exhibiting any banding as far as I can tell.

Karl

Today i received an email from Nikon that i can send my D200 for repair for the vertical banding. About the chromatic aberation, they suggested me to retouch it in Nikon Capture.... It would be nice if they didn't let me buy this program on top of the already big spend, but anyways, that's another topic. I now correct CA's in CS2, which i was already used to from my G5 photo's.

About Luiz's wideangle pics. Only in full resolution i'm capable of seeing CA's. Could you sen me for example a crop of palmtree which is on the left of the island? (DSC1332). if there are CA's or prurple fringing you should see it there i think.

cheers, udo

I think if you really look (at 100-200%) you will be able to find some CA and purple fringing in the corners of most shots with extreme lenses (like a fisheye or a wide angle rectilinear). This is particularly noticeable if you have a lot of detail in the corner of the frame.

However, if you want to take good images with these lenses then you should not include lots of detail in the corners of the images as this area is also very hard to light well on the fisheye because of the extreme angle of coverage. Also detail in the corner of the frame will generally be distracting and will lessen the impact of your composition. If you have blue water in the corner of your frame, you wont see CA!

I have many examples of fisheye shots in the galleries on my website http://www.amustard.com as the 10.5mm is the main lens that I use for my UW photography.

If you are really concerned that you have an unusual lens I am happy to email you a high resolution file.

Alex

I have to admit that I see a small CA with my 10.5 lens.

Its not only in the corners, actually the most noticeable is somewhere in the middle, I sow its only when I printed a 30X45 cm. frame.

I think you can get CA out of any lens underwater under certain circumstances. The camera body has less to do with it. It's more the lens and front port.

Banding is a different issue. You can push any camera (image sensor) towards its dynamic / high ISO limits and get banding. IMO low noise cameras are less prone to banding than the ones with high signal amplification (pixel size and sensor / camera software design / quality, etc.).

I would not worry about such issues too much for underwater photography if you got the camera you want. And you've got a really nice one.

Julian

Hi All,

Thanx for your replies! My concerns about CA's were based on pictures that were taken on land on a tripod at relatively long shuttertimes. I realise that the problem will be less underwater since backlight in general is much weaker under water than on land. At least: here in the Netherlands this is certainly the case... I start to believe that not only my 10.5 mm is showing CA's; other have it too. BTW, at the moment i'm writing this post i receive an email from NIKON that says the CA's i experience are within their range....

Furthermore, i can mention that i brought back my first D200 (i owned it only for 5 days) because of the vertical bands and received a brand new one right away! That's what i call good service!... Chapeau!!

I'm really keen on going submerged with my D200, but so far i have to wait/decide for a housing. Most likely it's going to be a Hugyfot or a UK Germany. Aquatica isn't very common here in the Netherlands, although i think that would be a serious option too. Can anyone advise? When is aquatica coming with their D200 housing?I want to make use of INON strobes: one D2000W (TTL through a Heinrichs Weinkamp converter) and one INON D180 strobe as slave (i already own this one). But for this last topic i should start a new trade i suppose....

cheers, Udo :P

Udo, check out Subal. There are two Subal dealers in The Netherlands, although ive only been to ScubaCompany. You can also just order from Ocean Optics in London. Shipping times are virtually the same. I would not order from the US or anywhere else outside of Europe, as you will almost certainly get hit with import taxes, which will add 19% to the price.

Cor

Thanx Alex/Cor,

I'm already in contact with Ron Pollet of Scubacam for an UK housing. I know that Ikelite is one of the cheapest solutions for an UW housing, but i prefer an alumium (or at least non transparant) housing.

Unfortunately there isn't much housing information available for the D200 yet. So that's why i'm bothering everybody so much at this moment.... I JUST WANT TO GET SUBMERGED WITH MY NEW CAMERA A.S.A.P...... :P...

I Guess i should become more patient...

cheers, udo

Also Aquatica should have the D200 housing along with the new finder for the Beneath the Sea show in New York in a few weeks.

Sponsors

Advertisements