Sign in to follow this  
Hobbes382

How to travel with camera housing?

I'm thinking of getting an Ikelite housing for my Canon RebelXT. But given the size, I was just wondering how people travel with it. Separate dedicated hard case? Regular luggage? Checked baggage?

Also, planes to some destinations (particularly some smaller ones) put a limit the number of bags and/or give you a total weight limit. Has anyone has any trouble traveling with their housing?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Hobbes, this has been discussed here many times. The majority seems to think that it is best to carry on as much as you can and don't use Pelican or other "steal me" kind of luggage. Look here for more:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8141

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6647

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5814

I hope this helps,

Luiz

Thanks for links Luiz.

Kind of what I was afraid of.... trying to jam all my gear; camera, lenses, housing, port, regulators and dive computer all in carry-on. Looks like some folks here manage to do it though. I would go insane if something were stolen or lost at the start of a big live-aboard trip!

Now to find the right carry-on bags for all this stuff. <_<

I check my housing, strobes, ports, etc. in a Pelican "steal me" case. I've been to Cancun, Curacao, Honduras, Philippines, and Cayman with zero problems.

Really. Use the search feature to find this topic. It has been discussed before.

The upshot for me at least is that you should be able to fit your housing, two strobes and camera in a Lowepro rolller or AW Trekker bag with a small personal item for your octo.

I travel with the 60mm flat port in the carry on but have to check the dome ports and 105mm port. I think this is a safe bet. If nothing else I can shoot the 60mm which is my favorite anyhow. I pack the ports in their cardboard boxes in between clothes in a hard-side suitcase. I'm looking for some sturdy tupperware containers to replace the cardboard box.

I check my housing, strobes, ports, etc. in a Pelican "steal me" case. I've been to Cancun, Curacao, Honduras, Philippines, and Cayman with zero problems.

I do like 10 international trips per year and never lost a single piece of luggage. All my stuff always arrived with me. But I've been *very* lucky, and I do know many people that either had their bags arrive a few days later or lost some bags. Just because I personally never lost a bag, I wouldn't risk checking my housing or camera and I always carry them.

I travel a lot on business and my dive gear/camera comes too. Like Luiz I've been lucky - apart from my trip in December to Bunaken when my dive gear arrived 24 hours later. But I always make sure I have my camera and lenses,housing, 60mm port, strobes etc so I can take pics - even if I have to rent scuba gear.

I hand carry my housing with camera inside and dome port on. On my back is Lowepro Trekker back pack with the rest of my photo gear, two strobes, extra body, lenses, macro port, etc. Just do a search and you will see it is Russian roulette to put expensive gear in your checked baggage. Insurance is not going to help you when you arrive at your destination with 24 hrs before the boarding of your live aboard and your photo gear got snatched, lost, or whatever...

Keith

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements