kriptap

Selling pics

I have a company who want to publish 12 of my images, what whould be a fair price to charge?

Exact usage, Placement (cover, inside, double spread, etc.) print size, length of use, Print and / or web use, domestic or international use, uniqueness of photo (Whale Shark giving birth?)

Check out www.asmp.com or Google "Seth Resnick" for his group of photographers organized to get fair prices for their photos.

All factors to consider before pricing. Don't be pushed into making a hasty decision or for "byline" photo credit as BS advertising. Can't pay your mortgage, kid's college, or save for retirement with that :)

dhaas

Well said. There are variables to consider: circulation is key to setting prices. I give discounts to small local operators, for example. Prices vary dramatically for editorial usage around the world, while commercial use should command commercial prices. You need to look at the scope of the business. Research, and don't fret too much if you lose a sale because you believe your work is worth something. At least your integrity will remain intact. (Though that doesn't pay the bills! :) )

Be flattered in the least, help pay for the toys at most.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Marli

That's great, Patrick.

Costs depend entirely on useage and very rarely on content of the shots. I have sold particular images many times for very different costs depending on use, and some of my most finacially rewarding images are not great - in fact don't appear anywhere on my website, but they just happened to be what the client wanted. So costs are variable. I have sold images for less than $15 to much more than that.

Advertising and excusivity of useage demands higher prices than editorial. In editorial prices vary with where the image is used (covershot, DPS etc) and how big it is used. The other factor is the circulation size of the magazine. Most magazines will already have standard rates - so you rarely have to negotiate much. If they are a small magazine only using a shot 1/8th page you aren't going to earn more than pocket money. If they are Time Magazine looking for a covershot, then you will probably do rather better.

As your useage sounds more advertising or advertorial then you should also ask about exclusivity (and how long they want it for). How will they feel if you sell the pictures to a diving magazine the next day. If they want exclusivity then they should be expected to pay more.

Hope that this helps,

Alex

I have just got the list of the images they want and it turns out that 11 of them are spawning Hamlets, all different ones, now I have a real dilemma.. They are for a DVD that will come out at the end of the year, they want a jpg 1200 pixels at the large end, non exclusive right and a credit with each image, they want to pay in DVD's! a $75 value each and will do that on a one image one DVD basis. My big problem is there are some Hamlets that I know have never been photographed before and am reluctant to let them go, plus one is of the 3 hamlets (remember that one Alex)

So how what?

Thanks

I'd think carefully about letting the three and the goldens go cheaply. But all the rest are shots you could easily repeat. So sell 'em and make the money. In my experience it is always easier to take more pictures than to sell them.

Agree to send them these as soon as you can and the negotiate for double on the others because of their rarity. But as it is non-exclusive and credited I'd sell them the lot and get them published. Then you will get a name for these sorts of shots and get more sales from other places. Wildlife images of fish rarely command big fees, anyway.

Also there are quite a few people shooting hamlets now - they email me - even if they don't post online, and I say sell the shots while you can. I think the market will be flooded with them with a year. It was like having pygmy seahorse shots in the 1990s. Easy to sell then. A waste of time shooting them now.

Also really try and get paid in cash. Getting paid in product is rarely useful, unless you really really need the product.

But congrats and good luck with the sale. Above all be helpful and get the customer the images as soon as you can.

Alex

Alex has covered everything I can think of. I also agree that getting paid in products is usually not worth it, but use your own judgement.

As far as rates, my CFO (chief financial officer, the wife!) and I agreed a while back to not let any photo go for less than like $50-$100. Even with fast digital delivery, etc. it sometimes is more work than what you earn. But if you're fast on your computer techniques sorting and sending images less per image might be OK.

Especially if you sell 20+ shots at a time!

YMMV

dhaas

What everyone else said. Is the use one-time or unlimited? Are they going to resell your images? Be cautious, fair, and communicate well.

Joe

Thanks all very good advice, never having sold an image before I wasn't sure what to do or say, but I've gone ahead and made the deal, after thinking about what Alex said, I too think I would like them published rather than not, I negotiated some images and am happy with the ones they will now get, after the hard work that went into them I didn't want to just "give them away" Thanks again.

I hope you didn't just get "paid in DVD's Patrick. That just doesn't sound right.

Cheers

James

I have spent a great deal of time developing a automatic calculation program that is on my website. It was based on an averaging algorithm using data from many other photo sales websites leaning on U/W photo more heavily. If you go to

My Webpageand go to photos on the top bar. Then chose any category (Best viewing click the "Featured Photo Gallery") click on any photo you will be diverted to a page that offers "Purchase Options" click it and again a new page will open with the calculator called "Image Licensing" Each Usage Category has a dropdown once you have selected info for each cat click calculate and it will give you a licensing fee. I have not factored into the calculation the rarity of creature or quality of image you could possibly add another 25% to the fee. Hope this is helpful

John G

I agree with Alex go for the cash not Product. Back in the 90's calender shots went for $200 a month ( as in June) and the cover was more. Once sold a cover with 9 months i recall the check was for around $1800. That was for a 1 year right to the photo's . That was when Film was King ah the good old days. Mark

Check out the NUJ's website for what fees you should be charging. You don't have to be a member, just look at their site.

Also, if you're in the UK the BFP are good are giving rough fees. As ever depends on size, print run and placement. Content doesn't matter. Indeed, the worst pictures somehow sell the best.

That's life.

NUJ:

NUJ

I have much the same question:

I was contacted this morning by a Florida fishing magazine wanting to publish a shot of mine of some Cuberra Snapper I shot in the Sea of Cortez. While I'm not wild about sport fishing, I do think there's plenty of Snapper to go around.

It's not a great shot, but it's want they wanted to quote Alex...

They have a 50,000 circulation - mostly in Florida, but some other states. But it's a smaller specialty magazine. They thought they would run it fairly large if I could give them a good scan, which I can, as it was shot on slide film.

So I'm trying to come up with a price. I'm thinking in terms of what they'd pay Getty or someone for a stock shot. Maybe $100 - 1/3 page to $150 for 1/2 page? I want to sell it, it's 'free" money...yeah, after the first $2,000 in photo gear!

Looking at JohnG's excellent site, he has it at ~$115-165.

Your feedback/experience would help.

TIA,

Jack

post-23-1143077516_thumb.jpg

post-23-1143077546_thumb.jpg

Jack, Alamy has your usage parameters for a rights-managed image priced at $US 170, so in general agreement with JohnG's site. I would say $150-170 for 1/2 page inside usage is utterly fair and reasonable to ask.

Sponsors

Advertisements