H2Oplanet

Subal or SeaCam for EOS 1Ds (1Ds Mk II)?

Is that you Scott?!?!?! I remember playing with your Canon in Cocos, my first intro to the big bad world of digital......

Damn, small world....

Trailer Park Boys... now that is funny!!!

This topic is going nuts, its like those religious wars .. hehe

I dont own a subal & seacam but people do you really think those housings are the best of the best??

Maybe before 1-2 years but now more and more manufacturers comming out with housings in exelent quality , big viewfinders and great ports & glas domes.

I have still a nexus d70s housing and a 170 glass dome from Athena...

what can give me Seacam & Subal that my rig cant give me?

A viefinder only and on this Nexus is buidling one right now...

We all only like what we use, right Alex & James :-)

h2oplanet, MF is available w/ the Canon 10mm Macro in Subal's FP-FC105 with a custom gear that at least 2 enlightened USA dealers offer.

Just a few quick comments on the above four points in Alex's post:

1) After much contemplation, I was able to solve this problem with a fine point permanent marker.   :(

2) I don't argue that you would win a port/lens changing race, but I can swap out lenses and ports in about 1-2 minutes.  Thus far that hasn't significantly impacted my ability to get back in the water and/or work on my tan (although the extra few minutes probably gives me slightly less risk of skin cancer than you).   :(  And the extra time I spend on ports/lenses is likely offset by the fact that I use AA lithium batteries in my strobes, which only need to be changed about every 10 dives.

3) I haven't submitted my rig to the "tiger bump" test like James did (maybe next week?!  :D ), but having lost a camera to a bumped Ikelite port, the solid screw-on mount on the Seacam was a real selling point for me personally...

4) I live in Seattle, and Stephen Frink (the only Seacam dealer in the U.S., AFAIK) is in Key Largo, FL.  That's about as far from "local" dealer as you can get (within the U.S.), and I've never met any of the people there, yet my experience dealing with Liz been great and very "personalized."

As others have said, I think you're talking about two outstanding products here, and I'm not sure one has any clear overall advantage over the other.  My decision to buy this housing (and camera) was partially colored by past "mistakes" I have made, mostly in attempts to save money (e.g., I tried to house a Minolta SLR because I already owned it, and I can't tell you how many times I wished I'd made the switch to Nikon or Canon way back then).  So--determined not to look back and regret my short-sightedness again--the overriding question I asked myself (and some other uw photographers I know) was, "If money was no object, what would I buy?"  That's how I ended up with this rig, and painful as the initial cost was, I still feel like it was a good decision.  OTOH, I'd trade it in a minute to have taken 1/10 of the great shots Alex has, so I guess it all goes to show that there really IS NO WAY to overcome picture envy!  :blink:

Hey Bruce - Thanks for the kind words, which I truly apppreciate, and I know Liz does too.

As for the fine-point Sharpie solution for the control marking, we can do better. The newest D2X, MKII, and 5D housings will have appropriate control decals, and for those housings already in the field, we have decals we will happily send you at no charge.

My sales territory is North America and Caribbean, but I'm sure Paul or any Seacam dealer will have decal sets as well. Send me a private e-mail at sf@stephenfrink.com with a mailing address, and for any Seacam digital user in my territory I'll send immediately.

BTW ... it is not that unusual to have subtle mid-stream improvements or enhancements to the Seacam housings. I just had a guy in the studio today with a D1X he had purchased used, and was complaining that the commmand and subcommand dials were slipping. That is normal wear, but unknown to him, the rubber gears on the housing that drive those controls were modified to a beveled configuration rather than flat (a far more positive control solution). All our customers have had those retrofitted out by now. Same fix applied to F100 housings as well.post-630-1143065395_thumb.jpg

Sponsors

Advertisements