echeng

Underwater tripods

Hey, guys. There has been very little discussion about underwater tripods here. What are y'all using?

I'm not really looking for something that costs a lot and requires its own dedicated case, but if I'm looking for a solution that lasts a long time, it may very well come to that.

For my first trip, I was thinking of going with a Bogen 13lb tripod (support), and a relatively inexpensive video head. I'll oil the crap out of it between dives, and hope that it doesn't corrode too badly.

Thoughts, anyone?

I use the ULCS tripod system. It's not perfect and requires a lot of clamps and ball heads and arms but it's virtually maintenance free and negative (but you may still with to tie weights to it in surge)

All that oiling and greasing up land tripods is just too much work and gunk in the water. Alternatively, since you seem to be rolling in it these days, check this out:

Titanium Tripod

CLick on the ssp061.jpg characters and you'll see a thing of beauty. NHK had them for a production in Indo. It was beautiful. And if you need to ask the price, well.... :)

Titanium tripod ???

All I saw was a metal dustbin with a few controls thrown at it.

A sort of Gates reject...

Beauty is as they say ' In the eye of the beer holder'.

Dive safe

DeanB

Hehe, wrong set of characters Dean. Click on the link under the SJW800

Cheers

James

We sell an u/w tripod that consists of the ULCS tripod clamp and 3 (old style) TLC 15" or 20" upper arms. I've attached a photo.

post-1708-1141767894_thumb.jpg

Titanium tripod ???

All I saw was a metal dustbin with a few controls thrown at it.

A sort of Gates reject...

Beauty is as they say ' In the eye of the beer holder'.

Dive safe

DeanB

Thanks James. Maybe Dean had one too many beers before clicking the link. :)

As for price? well let's just say it's more than a Z1 or housing.

AHA !! Thats better.

Looks like 'attack of the metalzoid spiders' :)

I'll order two.

Dive safe

DeanB

P.s Me, drunk you say...NEBBER :o

I use a thing called buoyancy control....

:):o:D

I have been using the same "consumer" Manfrotto video head (made of plastic ) attached to either the aluminium legs it came with, or just the centre post ( pole - hollow tube as a monopod) since I got my first VX-1 ( VX-3 in NTSC ).

Over the years it has got a lot of laugh's at it's decaying but very functional state - in fact it is still out on the boat waiting for my expedition to Rajah Ampat next month. The only maintenance it has ever had is a fresh water rinse ( occassional ) and a periodic spray with CRC.

I have also been using a an ULCS universal adaptor , a clamp , and a 12" arm ( cut in half ) as a monopod for stills.

The KISS method works works for me - it ain't broke so don't fix it !

Yeah !!

And I thought the KISS method was "rock n roll all night and party everyday". Entertaining the ladies with my 7" tongue while wearing more make-up than my momma :)

But thats my Saturday night ..

Dive safe

DeanB

I have used uw tripods made from ultra light arms and others as well. Too much trouble in my book. The best thing one can do is develop a steady hand by practise and learning to cup your housing and use your elbow as a pivot point. It has always been a source of pride to me when I am asked if scenes I've shot were done with a tripod and they were simply and carefully handheld.-steve

Sponsors

Advertisements