sharky1961

wich lenses to use in Lembeh

Hi,

I am going to Lembeh in 3 weeks and was wondering what lenses to bring along as I only have free luguage of 30kg in the Plane. So I was thinking if I shout bring my domport along or not.

I will be shooting with the Nikon D200 (in Sealux housing) :) und the Nikon F100 ( yes stil Velvia slides)

I own the Nikon Lenses 16mm FE, 17-35mm, 60mm and the 105mm with 2x Kenko teleconverter.

I have never been to Lembeh and doesn't know what to expect underwater, especially because this will be the first time to go digital.

I was thinkin of shooting 17-35mm and 105mm with the D200 and 60mm with the F100 or is this the wrong plan? Do I need the 17-35mm anyway?

Rob

I would view your lens bag as perfect. The only addition i would make is a macromate from backscatter.

Hi Rob,

Congrats on going digital! If it were me, I'd ditch the 17-35 in favor of a 15mm Sigma fisheye. The 17-35 isn't really a wideangle lens on the D200. The fisheye will cover the same field of view as a Nikonos 15mm if you're familiar w/ that lens.

Cheers

James

Hi James,

Thank you for your fast response.

I thought that my Nikon 16mm Fish Eye has the same coverage as the Sigma 15mm ?? but my question is are there oppertunities to use the 16mm I was thinking of unusual shots of scorpionfishes/stonefishes etc.?

as for the 17-35mm if I use it with the D200 I will have the effective 25-52mm as for an 35mm camera, is this to big for Lembeh critters?

Rob

Rob, we are going next month also. I am expecting to give the 60mm and 105mm a real workout for the muck diving. If the viz is bad, the 60mm + Woody's diopter will be my choice.

Karl

Hey Rob,

In my inexperienced view - you have a perfect lense kit - irrespective of the body that you combine them with. All are fastest in class / best in group. Keep the 17-35 - it's like a spare dinger - just comes in handy sometimes:)

I have a sigma 14 that i am diving at the moment, and it is a different lense to the 16mm Nikon

Hi Karl,

Woodys diopter would be nice but it doesn't fit the sealuxports, I think I can use my 2x teleconverter to cover very bad vis.

Hi Pmooney,

yes I know the 14mm Sigma, but James revered to the 15mm Sigma (I think thats that is the sigma fisheye) and it gives coverage of about the same as the 14mm Sigma.

does anybody has foto examples of Lembeh with the 16mm Fisheye?

Rob

If you already have a Nikkon 16mm then you don't need to get the Sigma 15mm - they are basically the same.

Cheers

James

I used my 60 exclusively with Woody's wet diopter. I think that there were only a few opportunities I missed due to not using my 105, but I saw a lot more people using 105's that could not get in on the action because they had to get too far away to compose, putting more sand, silt and divers between them and the lens. My preference would be the 60 if I was forced to choose one of the two macro lenses.

Joe

I would always use a 60mm on muck sites in Lembeh. I only use the 105mm on muck sites when I have got my fill of 60mm shots.

105mm on more reefy sites often with a +1 or +4 dioptre.

I have also done a few dives with the 28-70mm, which can add some variety.

23.jpg

Alex

We had a presentation at our local underwater photo club last month by a guy who spent 3 weeks there recently. cupsonline.net

The presenter shot mostly with the 105mm but kept saying that he wished he had a 60mm because on digital many subjects were too big for the 105mm.

He also commented that he exclusively shot macro (since that is what its famous for) but he wished he would have spent some time shooting wide angle to get a better sense for the conditions.

So it sounds like you've got it made with the 105mm, 60mm and 16mm.

I used the 105mm with 3T diopter on almost every dive. Switched to the 4T for Pygmy sea horses. Used the 60mm for night dives.

As Alex stated, most of the animals are perfectly suited for the 60mm. The 105 becomes what amounts to more of a specialty lens in my opinion (at Lembeh). The skill when using a 60 becomes that of ones experience on animal behavior, how to approach, reflectivity, movement predictability, skittishness, etc. Over time good divers learn how to deal with these situations. When you do, you can get, say, 90 percent of all suitably sized animals with a 60, but there are some where a 105 would be far superior. A 105 with a 3T or 4T is specialty by my definition because there are only certain animals or certain unique compositions that this setup will deliver, but you'd forego many of the other critters. Also, do bring a wide angle lens with you. Although most of the diving is muck, there are a few really nice wide angle spots including Angel's Window and the wreck. I scoured the wreck for macro critters and concluded that I should have brought my 10.5 on that dive.

Joe

Using the 105 on a D200 makes it a 150mm and that's getting into a much narrower field of view than the 60mm will provide (at ~90mm). If you are used to the 105 on film you might consider keeping the 60 on your digital.

I'm probably going to be buying a 60mm myself because of this.

As others mentioned the 60 will also reduce the amount of potential backscatter.

Have fun.

Jon

Ive come to really like the 60 + 2x TC for most of my macro shots. It gives you much more versatilty than a 105 by itself, you can do all the 1:1 you want, and if you see something especially small you can get closer and do 2:1. I have not seen any noticable degradation of the image quality.

Sometimes I'll enter the water with a 105+2xtc, especially if I expect something a little skittish, but I rarely enter the water anymore with a 105 by itself.

But, we all have our preferences, I dont think anything is any better than the other. Try out some things, and stay with it. The more practice with a specific lens kit, the better you will become at it.

Cor

I started out shooting macro with my 50mm but switched to 100mm with hinged Macromate on day 2 and never looked back. The only times I regreted my choice was when I came across full sized Cuttlefish. Note I was shooting a Canon 20D with 1.6x crop.

Bring a wide angle lens for use on Lembeh sites near the entrance to the strait. Angel's Window and California Dreamin' are good for wide.

I've indicated which lens was used for each of the shots in my Indonesia gallery here:

http://www.montereydiving.com/Photos/Indon...hotos2005_1.htm

-Brad

Thanks for posting Brad....very informative site with very nice photos

Karl

I use a 70-180mm Zoom with a macro mate - never needed anything else.

Then again my passion is macro so I don't look for the WA shots.

Have a great trip - I look forward to being back at KBR in June

I used 70-180 with 5T/6T a lot last year in Lembeh as it is probably the most versatile lens that will cover almost all the critters there. Good for small frogfish all the way to pgymy seahorse. The only thing that was too big was a large flying gunard that was following me around for awhile. 60mm with 2X teleconverter also work very well for me there especially for the pontohi pgymy seahorse which was rather tiny and the 70-180mm just was not quite enough. The only thing that I could see 105 with 2x teleconverter being useful is the purple dart goby and a few other gobies deep down around Angel's window.

If you have a chance to dive Bunaken, the wide angle lens would be useful especially the 10.5mm. Angel's Window, California Dream and part of Nudi's Retreat has some decent coral but not nearly as good as all the macro there so I did not bother with wide angle much in Lembeh.

Sponsors

Advertisements