Sign in to follow this  
Kiam

Aiming Light

What kind of aiming light setup is best for a Ikelite 6190 housing, one DS 50, shooting TTL with a CP 5000 and a 60mm lens, for macro?

I don't have an idea of your setup. Isn't there something suitable from Ikelite for your setup as well? Or maybe consider the DS-125 which has built in modeling light.

Julian

Hello,

I'd say a small one for macro, like a 44 led one. But it would be strange to have an aiming light for macro and an other one for shooting normally..

It's not really a good idea to aim the strobe(s) directly at your subject. (flat lighting and backscatter)

-make sure you can move the focusing light independently from the strobe (separate mounting point and clamp for aiming light)

-use the tip (below) to help visualize what your strobe will illuminate

http://www.kelpfish.net/tip_edge_light.htm (look at Strobe beam angle visual aids)

-a light with an even beam (no hot spots), semi wide, not blazingly bright

(most of the time I use my aiming light to spot the critters from a distance; then use the edge of the aiming light's beam to focus because most critters don't like to be in the spotlight; another trick is use red celophane rubberbanded over the front of the focusing light; many critters don't react to red light)

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements