davephdv

105 AF-S VR; worth it?

My local camera shop left a message that they have a 105 AF-S VR waiting for me. Anybody here that has shot this lens? I have the old 105 micro. Is it worth the upgrade if it stretches your budget to buy it?

Thanks.

Hi Dave,

I will certainly get one because I also use mine as a short telephoto and I think this new version will be great for this. However, I would check with your housing manufacturer if they will have a port for it. Check this topic for first impressions from some wetpixel users and sponsors:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12216&st=20

Luiz

Thanks; I read that thread. I can set up my 17-55 with my Subal set up without a remachined extension tube. Have to mount the camera and lens in the housing and then add the extension tube but it works. If the new 105 is a few mm smaller it should work. I plan on taking my camera, housing, and various ext. rings down to the camera store.

I am very interested on your impressions. According to Dave Marsh (on the thread linked above), it is too wide for the current ports, but maybe you have a different model?

Luiz

got mine yesterday, unfortunately, no housing to try it in as yet, waiting for my Aquatica.

The lens is a chunck!, heavy, fat and moderate length, seems to focus quickly on the surface in good light, low light seemed to give it some slight problem, took a second or two to lock in.

Can't wait to use this with my new system. May 10 in LC!

Hi Guys,

A couple comments concerning the new 105 Micro-nikkor. At the moment I am very undecided about this lens. When I first saw the announcement I was more positive. The pluses vs the older 105mm being that the lens would focus faster, wound not change length while focusing, had ED glass which should give a sharper image, and would allow the AF-S converters to be mounted allowing larger than 1:1 imaging.

(I'm still a film shooter. I still have not seen a price on this lens as I am currently in Australia and heading to Bali in two days.).

However, I became less enchanted when I read on the Nikon website that the lens will not auto-focus with an AF-S tele-converter!! This is a f2.8 lens and meets the technical criteria to provide auto-focusing with the converter. Why would Nikon disable this feature? Perhaps they feel AF would not be accurate enough when focusing very close. Surely the lens must perform OK in AF when using it topside and at near infinity distances. Why not let the user decide when it works well enough and let he decide when to switch to manual focus. Maybe my info is inaccurate. Or if enough of us complained about the lack of AF with the converters Nikon would change this on the lens since it must be something in the computer chip instructions.

Additional drawbacks I see now are that the lens is also virtually double the weight of the older lens as well. And perhaps the price since I haven't heard one yet. And from guys here that the diameter of the lens will make it hard to attach a manual focus gear.

I can already mount my Nikon AF-S converters on the older 105mm by mounting a 20mm (slightly modified) Kenko extension tube between the two. And using the 2x converter in combination with 72mm of Kenko tubes have reached 4.4x magnifications underwater. With manual focus.

So what is the attraction of the new lens now? Zeiss has just started introducing new lenses in the Nikon mount (manual focus only ZF's) which are reputed to be distinctly sharper than either Nikon's or Canon's own lenses. And one pictures shows that a Zeiss macro lens (www.robgalbraith.com) may be in their near future plans. Also an interview at that website suggests that Zeiss wants to have six lenses total by Photokina (this October). So the macro may be among them.

Since my primary interest reason for adding a new 105mm would be increases sharpness at the larger-than-lifesize, and especially above 2x, magnifications where I must use manual focus anyway, I think I'll wait to see what Zeiss does and hope for a chance to shoot comparison tests before buying either.

Divegypsy.

I'm pretty sure that the AF not working is due to the F stop when it reaches 1:1, then the aperture become to slow for AF, just Nikon 's way of doing thing, but I still prefer their approach, when your at 1:1 your aperture display is not lying to you, F:45 is F:45 not F:32 à la Canon or Sigma. going back to the VR it is a chunky fella. I can see where some manufactuer might have a situation, and access to VR & MF/AF will be a handfull if at all feasible. will keep posted about availabillity of gear, port extension and all.

Cheers

Jean,

I don't think this is the issue. The lens should always focus at its max. aperture, i.e. F2.8 in this case. That's why you have the DOF preview button, to stop down the lens to the set aperture.

I'm no expert in this, but I'd say the inability to use the AF functionality with a TC is linked to the wiring of the lens...

The diameter of the 105 AF-SVR is 2.83" Can someone put a caliper on an Ike dome port and see if it will fit?

Thanks,

Jean,

I don't think this is the issue.  The lens should always focus at its max. aperture, i.e. F2.8 in this case. 

True, but the effective aperture at 1:1 will be much less, and is what limits autofocus (the effective aperture is displayed in the finder of late model Nikons). This is the point Jean was making. The main pro of this lens over the old one is AFS enabling one to over-ride autofocus without having to use any mechanical switches - at least this is the case with the D70 kit lens. It may take a custom made port to use MF as it looks like the switch panel is in the way so no focusing from the housing proper. One would have to use a port with a knob built-in for the focusing. Maybe the manufacturers will figure out how to connect to the VR switch too. Otherwise, it will be all or none in terms of using VR on a given dive.

Tom

I agree with Tom. Here is a simple demonstration, first, focus your macro lens (either 60 or 105) on infinity and set the aperture at 2.8, focus it at 1:1 and the aperture will change to 4.5 or so, you can't get 2.8 at 1:1 in those lenses. There is a very informative thread (with links to technical articles) about this subject at the Nikonians forum:

http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/d...D6&viewmode=all

Luiz

Thanks for the clarification Tom. The misunderstanding comes from the F45 mentioned further in Jean's post.

Based on the Rocha's post, though, barring all other issues, the Kenko TC should still be able to lock focus, as it works with lenses with min. aperture of F5.6.

I have the TC with me, so if anyone would be so kind as to lend me their 105mm AFS VR, I could confirm this :P

shot with my new d200 and the new 105VR, no flash! waiting for my z-240s to arrive.

will be an interesting setup

post-5353-1143373014_thumb.jpg

I will be back at the store tuesday and plan to check folowing combination

a) 105 Vr + 2X TC Kenko

B) 105 VR + 1.4X TC Kenko

c) 105 VR + 1.4X TC Nikon

c) 105 VR + 2X TC Nikon

d) 105 VR + Extension tubes Kenko

And finally with my Nikon D200, D2h and Fuji S2 pro.

I was getting ready to sell my two Fuji S2 pro but if the lens is hot on them I might keep them for strickly u/w macro. will give you a heads up early next week.

Cheers.

P.S. Luiz, my brother in law is moving to Panama, so you might see my face down there soon.

P.S. Luiz, my brother in law is moving to Panama, so you might see my face down there soon.

I'm in Hawaii now! Moved a couple of months ago, but it seems like I am still in Panama, it's been raining ever since I got here, amazing! And I thought it rained a lot in Panama.

Anyways, send me a PM if you need info about Panama.

Luiz

Got the lens. Only my 15 mm ext. ring will go over the lens and get past the MF/AF control. Looks like the 60 mm FC FP should work with the lens when the focus gear is removed. I have to check but looks like it should work with the FE2 dome port.

Lens is fast focusing and sharp. So far I love it.

I did some testing today with the 105 VR and some TC and extension tube. all of the following worked in Auto Focus. test was done with a D70s & Fuji S2 pro.

Nikon 1.7x TC

Nikon 2X TC

Kenko 2x TC

Kenko 1.4x TC

Kenko extension tube 12, 24 & 36mm

I understand the Nikon statement about AF not working with TC, altought I have not read the paperwork on this lens. I know Nikon is pretty uptight about its data and if not up to standard performance is quoted often as incompatible.

So my take on it is, yes it work, not very good but still it work, I bet with some modeling light muscle and a D200 or D2x multicam system you could get pretty good results. the obvious was that the 1.4x and 1.7x which where the best performer of the TC lot, BTW I did not have a Nikon 1.4 TC to test with today but if the 2X works... the extension tubes seemed to perform the best of the lot, which is what I anticipated. Annoying was the fact that in low light my old 105 micro did better at locking the subject than the new one on my Fuji S2pro ;)

I will try the 1.7x and 2x Nikon on the D200 and D2h tomorrow, I didn't have mine with me today, but better since there is a lot more D70s and D100 out there than D200 or D2x.

Next level will be TC 2x and a pair of DS 125 modeling light strapped on my housing. will keep posted.

Regards

This lens (the 105 AF-S VR) works with the Subal FP-120 port. There is maybe a little less than an inch of clearance so maybe the next size smaller might work. The macro mate flip lens will fit over this port so you can get 2:1 magnification.

That's good news Dave, thanks for posting. Do you have any extension ring handy? Can you see it fits with the extension ring? I have a couple of ext. rings and an FP-90 port, and I am wondering if the combination will work, I am not too worried about MF for now (I've always used my old 105 in AF anyways).

Luiz

annoying was the fact that in low light my old 105 micro did better at locking the subject than the new one on my Fuji S2pro

Is this unique to the S2Pro or was the performance on the D70 equally bad? And are you referring to the lens by itself or in combination with a TC/extension tube? Fast autofocus esp. in low-light would be THE reason to upgrade my existing 105mm.

Thanks

This lens (the 105 AF-S VR) works with the Subal FP-120 port. There is maybe a little less than an inch of clearance so maybe the next size smaller might work. The macro mate flip lens will fit over this port so you can get 2:1 magnification.

As I mentioned in a previous post the Subal FP-120 port is the correct port length wise for the Nikon 105 VR lens BUT the port will not mount on the housing with this lens installed. The control panel on the side of the 105 VR sticks out far enough to prevent the port from being installed on the housing.

My camera shop just called and said my 105 VR is in. Should I get it?

I only have a 60mm for macro use right now.

Don't get it yet, first ask Ikelite if they will have a port for it (I am assuming you will get an Ikelite for your D200, since your signature says that you have an Ikelite for the D100). This lens is very wide and it may not fit inside the Ikelite ports. If this is the case, I recommend you get a used last generation 105, the prices on those will come down considerably now that the AFS 105 started shipping.

Luiz

Thanks Luis

I originally was getting the Ikelite housing for the D200, but now that the Aquatica is avail......

I'm not sure now.

more gear lust!!!!!!

Sponsors

Advertisements