NickJ

Sony A1 Field Test Results

Nick

I have found sometimes the FX1 at depth in the Phenom will not MWB even with the filter in if I am on manual shutter/exposure with the gain boost locked off at zero. If I let the camera go to auto it will MWB then I lock the gain boost (db)back to zero along with locking the shutter again.

However with the EWB method it will even without a filter in but offcouse cannot get the colour I truly want. Thoughs lovely blues.........

The camera definitely white balanced under those conditions without any problem.

This site was a crevice with the floor about 80 feet deep, with the top in about 30 feet. It was about 50 percent covered. There was some light making it down in the foreground, but not all that much. The right hand side was very dark. If you look at the right, especially near the end, that is about as much grain as I saw in any shot. That was part of why I picked that clip.

I reviewed the tape, and that segment was at 1/60, f1.8 and varied between +9 & +12 db gain. That should be as bad as it gets.

Wow - and there was I holding up the FX1 as a picture of perfection Wags! Bit like Ningaloo from a distance huh? (You don't really have dull days do you? :) )

Well this WB lark is certainly a minefield. With the basic refit 950 housing I'm using for the A1, I don't have any control over switching back and forth though its modes. It's either manual WB or auto when I seal the door.

Thing is I'm now reluctant to spend a lot more on this or a new housing since one thing is certain and that is even with the best will in the world the low light capability of this little chap is pretty sucky.

Good feedback though, and the good news is that when it all comes together the A1 can shoot some really spectacular material. My batting average has taken a dive however which is good and bad. When the captured stuff pays back well it's like Christmas all over again :lol:

No, it's a F900...Drew

Hey I bet it would not WB if the db was set to 0 at that depth. +9 & +12 db gain is high, the most I ever go is +3. Any higher and it gets grainy, but as I said will let it go high just to to get a WB if having trouble.

Ningaloo...water is a dirty still and there is another LOW comming down...Im just sittnig here waiting for the Blue water to turn up, if it ever does. :)

whalesharks.jpg

No, it's a F900...Drew

What? That piece of crap? F950 is already out and the F1001 will be out next year. It never ends and they are never perfect. :)

Well take a look here at this 2 meg video clip.

This is the new housing for my Sony A1 :)

New Housing for the Sony A1/HC1

Funny clip....just what housing is that?

Steve B)

It has a Sony HD F900 in it.

It was custom made out of a rolled up sheet of Titanium and built by a guy who makes Rockets. The Electronics were custom built by a retired Sony head of tech in Japan.

Cost$$$$ well the lens was like 20,000 + US alone.

SomeAssembly, love those clips. This is the kind of video I've been waiting to see!

It was kinda a bummer around here for awhile with all the confusion of housings, white balance, noise, etc, etc, etc....

This is what I was hoping to see on return. I'd be perfectly happy with those results!

Love the Keystone cops cameraman Wags! Did he manage to get the housing/rocket case on the airline as hand luggage and if so what backpack did he use :)

Hi Nick

He shipped it over in a big plastic tub...Funny...

I have some video of it somewhere of it being opened etc.

Those Whale Sharks of Donsol sound alright. I think there will be more and more places that will offer the trips as time goes on.

Wags,

Keep us posted on your doco potential. having some brain storms etc for possible subjects etc.

Mark.

If anyone would like about 18 one pass Panasonic tapes, I have them and they're yours. They were donated to me but I only use the Sony's.

Steve B)

Sponsors

Advertisements