CeeDave

Handling the big Ike dome?

Hello,

I have been shooting fisheyes (Nikon 10.5 and 16) with my Ike D70 setup. I recently got a good deal on a Sigma 10-20, which I got mainly for surface use. If I want to take it UW, then I'd either need to buy another 6" dome and travel with two domes, or switch to the 8" with the interchangeable bodies. I'm also planning to make limited use of a (non-D) Nikon 20mm, which will fit nicely behind the bigger port.A few questions

--Anyone out there have experience with the Sigma 10-20 and an 8" dome?

--Are you happy with this lens/port combo?

--And how is the balance with that bigger dome out front?

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,

Chris

I've used the older Aquatica/Ike 8" dome with the Nikon 12-24mm and the Sigma 15 and it works great.

The rig becomes a little positive and the port tries to turn upwards, but the pressure isn't bad....well with it IMHO.

I zip tie a 2# lead weight to the bottom of the tray and that makes it a little negative again. A 1# weight would probably work better but dive boats never have them.

The newer 8" dome has a little less volume and might not be as negative.

Karl

Oh no! A puffed puffer - argh!?!?! The other shots are nice though.

Cheers

James

A bit off topic but Chris what Ike dome are you using for the Nikon 10.5 ?

And do you have any problems at the edges ?

Paul C

Thanks for the info, Karl and others.

Paul, I am using the compact dome with the 10.5 and 16, and the edges seem fine to me. I am only considering the 8" dome because I *may* use the 10-20 underwater and want one dome for all 4 WA lenses I sometimes carry (10.5, 16, occasionally 20, and *maybe* 10-20).

Chris

My D70 with the 8 inch dome and a 10.5 lens is slightly negative with the tray weight installed (no strobes attached). I've had great experience with it in the brief time I've had it.

I'll have more to say about it in 10 days when I get back from Bonaire....

Sponsors

Advertisements