clarkedje

Backscatter removal

what are the best techniques for backscatter removal? should i just open the pics in paint and airbrush them out or is there a program that will do it for me?

Any help would be much appreciated

Dom

The healing brush in Photoshop can remove limited backscatter. Someone at Adobe had an action that eliminated much of the backscatter automatically.

But, it would be much better to work on your lighting technique (edge lighting using external strobes) and eliminate/minimize backscatter while you're taking the photo.

Take Care,

ChrisS

Yes - use the healing brush in Photoshop. Don't overdo it though, and match size/softness to the spot that you are trying to remove - I try to select an are similar to how I want the removed spot area to look to utilise as my selected spot first.

With enough time and patience you can dramatically improve a good image with a few blemishes on it. Bottom line is to minimise backscatter in the first place by lighting the shot optimally and then use Photoshop to clean up anything else. If you are diving UK then you will get some degree of backscatter almost every shot except in the very best of conditions so Photoshop is a very useful tool.

I agree -- lighting technique is most important, but you'll still occasionally have a few spots (of course, that never happens to ME, but I've HEARD that it does happen ;) ), and the healing tool is the best option in 97% of all cases. However, when a spot appears right on the edge of something (e.g., half in the water and half on a fish's fin), the healing tool won't work well. In those cases, try using the clone tool -- make it quite small, and choose adjoining areas of the water/fish as the selected areas (Alt click), and you can fix both sides of the backscatter spot.

If you have an image with heavy backscatter you could make a mask and blur the background - normally the spot healing and clone are your best bet.

Sponsors

Advertisements