I'm considering going to Ike DS200's for WA work.....what do those of you with Ike 200's do for macro? I really don't want to use another set of small strobes, so I would either keep the dual DS200's on the rig or go to a single DS200.

Any thoughts from those with 200's?

Karl

Hi Karl,

I just answered your PM about this subject :) . In short, I would keep both 200s for macro. Personally, I don't like the shadows when I use a single strobe.

Luiz

Hi Karl,

I have two 200's but prefer to use smaller strobes for macro. I shot almost all macro in Bali, starting out leaving the 200's on the housing. Eventually I switched to my smaller strobes (Inon's at the time). The extremely wide beam of the 200 throws light where I don't want it. Ike is rumoUred to be releasing DS50's w/ multiple power settings at some point in the future and I'd love to try these. They have a straight tube and narrow beam angle. In some cases it's really important to put your strobes right up on the port too - so you want something small.

Cheers

James

Hey Karl.

I just talked with Ryan at Reef Photo when I ordered an Ike D200 housing. He said you guys went out last wknd.

How is the new housing? I'm hoping to get mine before going to Caymans at the end of the month.

How did you like the DS200? I guess with the DS125 you can either shoot ISO200 with f8 or ISO 100 with f5.6. Did you notice a difference shooting ISO200 compared to ISO100? Any change in sharpness?

Thank Luiz and James.....two conflicting answers :):lol::( actually, I expected it, but I like to hear what people think to add to my own observations.....it's a tough call because my DS-125's have really been reliable workhorses for several years....now that I've got a 100 ISO camera, I'm thinking that the extra horsepower will be good.....macro is the problem as I don't want to take another set of smaller strobes.....we'll see what happens :(

Larry, I really like the D200 Ike housing....it's well thought out and access to the controls is very good....the rotary TTL/manual power dial is fantastic.....I actually used TTL for macro and it was spot on....I used manual for WA and it is very easy and quick to change settings....I used the new 8" dome with the 10.5mm and the Sigma 15 and was very happy with the corner sharpness...I used the smallest and middle stalks with the dome.....handling was perfect....barely negative with dual DS-125's

Ikelite is quietly narrowing the feature gap with the other manufacturers while leading in value and customer service.....a tough act to follow IMHO

Karl

Karl

I completely agree.

I think Ikelite has definitely the best value.

a great product and great customer service.

I think the other manufacturers are going to need to step make their housings more affordable. I have my D100 housing for exactly one year and I have already upgraded. It is getting really expensive to upgrade all the time.

btw: are you planning on keeping your old housings? Are you planning on using them as backup? My D100 housing may soon be in the classified section.

I have a similar approach to that of James, i.e. i use the 200's mostly for WA work, and use a couple of Inon's for macro and portraits. With the latter, you can get closer and also finetune what you light up...

Sponsors

Advertisements