famorim

Red Sea - South route, St Jhon's

Hi,

does anyone did dives at south of red sea ? I'm planing get some dive vacation in August and thinking about dive in South and St Jhon's with emperor divers. All of my friends did dives in North route, I don't know anyone that was in south.

Please, could anyone give me some information about dive sites there, Is it better than North ? any website with photos ?

Thanks

Fabio

If you like wreck then North is better but the marine life gets better and better the further south you go in Egypt.

If I where you I would book myself on a "Simply the best" or "Great Island Tour" liveaboard.

On my webpage you'll find pictures from all over the Red Sea. I've lived for nearly three years in Hurghada and from my experience you shouldn't miss places like Brothers, Elphinstone and Daedalus. I've been to St John's aswell but I'm sorry to say that it's starting to get a little bit crowdy down there.

And August is a great time to go there because it's still warm in the water. But try to make it as late as possible in August because in September it's shark high season. :-)

If you have more questions feel free to ask.

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

thank you for the information about South & St Jhons. I tried to get "Simply the best" liveaboard, but I heard that dive in Brothers is not so easy, lots of drift and the boat shaking all time. If I choose this liveaboard, probably will get my wife not so happy all vacation time.. hehehehe..

I've got concerned about South because I didn't see a website with great shots like your.

do you know the better way for travel to Marsa Alam where the boat departure ? I looking for flights from Paris or Rome to Marsa Alam and didn't found. I just found flights to Cairo and Hurgada.

Thank you and congrats for the photos.

Fabio

If you do daily diving from Marsa Alam you'll not be able to reach St John. But you can dive at places like Elphinstone, Sattaya, Samadai and Shaab Sharm. I you book you diving from home the dive center usually pick you up from the airport in Hurghada. Then you have around 4 hours buss ride down to Marsa.

// Peter

Hi Peter,

I would get the route "South & St Jhons" with Emperor Divers liveaboard (http://www.emperordivers.com/liveaboards_routes_johns.php). According their website this boat departs from Marsa Alam and go until St Jhons. I saw the map and think it so far from Marsa Alam.

Thank you for the information about flights, I spoke with the Emperor by email and they don't know nothing about flights, I'll probably will get a bus transfer.

Thank you again. Fabio.

hey fabio,

to get to marsa alam you can fly from germany check www.ltu.de (a very decent german charter company) and i am pretty sure you can fly from italy you might want to check the marsa alam airport site for the various schedules here

http://www.marsa-alam-airport.com/FlightSchedule.asp

hth

/paul

Fabio,

I was on a liveaborad in St.John's in March this year. It was not crowded at all. We were the only boat in some places. There were some currents, but not stronger than ones I had in the north.

The sea was rather calm.

I was a bit disappointed with not too many big fish around, but overall I enjoyed it and recommend it.

I posted some pictures from that trip in my pbase gallery.

Hi Andrzej,

thanks for your posting and congratulation for the good images. I would get this liveaboard with Emperor to Southern.

Does anyone was in Brothers ? Is it true that boats shake a lot there and there are lots of drifts ? Daedalus and Elphinstone are the same?

Hi Andrzej,

thanks for your posting and congratulation for the good images. I would get this liveaboard with Emperor to Southern.

Does anyone was in Brothers ? Is it true that boats shake a lot there and there are lots of drifts ? Daedalus and Elphinstone are the same?

In August the weather is usually nice and calm... But it's not a guarantee...

The same goes for Brothers. It can be completely calm with no current in the morning and then change to storm, big waves and strong current in the afternoon. The weather on Brothers is highly unpredictable. BBut one thing is for sure, and that is that the diving is amazing.

Daedalus is the same, but the boat is more protected there.

The diving at Brothers and Daedalus is always made as drift dives. The zodiacs drop you off and then come and pick you up if you haven’t made it back to the boat.

There is no night diving allowed at Brothers and Daedalus but in St Johns you are aloud.

Hi Fabio,

I did the St.John's area a few years ago on the Coral Queen. Aquatic life is simply amazing. At that time it was not crowded at all and many days we did not see another soul.

The drive down from Hurghada was very tiring though...but still worth it!

You can see some photos on My Webpage

It can be disappointingly crowded these days, and the chances of big pelagic species coming in have declined, but it's still beautiful. Sharks are supposed to go deep in the summer, but I've heard of great encounters at all times of the year, too. The shallow caves around St John's are quite special, and the big reefs are physically very impressive. Here are images from St John's and Daedalus reef from last year:

post-4522-1146001818_thumb.jpg post-4522-1146001818_thumb.jpg post-4522-1146001980_thumb.jpg

Tim

B)

post-4522-1146001902_thumb.jpg

I want to thank you guys for all the information about Red Sea. After all messages and picts. I finally choose to get the Emperor dive "Simple the Best" cruise that would visits Brothers, Daedalus and Elphinstone. I hope to get a good weather there in August.

thanks all.

Fabio

I want to thank you guys for all the information about Red Sea. After all messages and picts. I finally choose to get the Emperor dive "Simple the Best" cruise that would visits Brothers, Daedalus and Elphinstone. I hope to get a good weather there in August.

thanks all.

Fabio

That's a good choice and I hope that you'll have a nice time while enjoying world class diving.

I went to deep south in august and would not come back at this time again. October/November are the best month for sharks. Dive spots:

Do not miss Habili Ali and Habili Gaffa!!! The best on st. Johns.

Habili means reef that does not come to the surface and ends 5-6 meters below. The surface must be calm to dive there.

Elphinstone will be the last day and it reminds the crowded shopping centre more than a diving spot. Count at 20+ diving boats each 20 divers + 10 daily diving boats. In term of visibily august is the best. Also the probability of calm surface is high. I would rather choose the Brother/Elphinstone or Brother/Daedalus/Elph safari. You will do Elphinstone in any of theese choices. Hope this helps.

couple pictures on

www.aquasphere.sk

post-4647-1146505299_thumb.jpg

One of the twin Zabargad's above should have been a Daedalus....

post-4522-1146512803_thumb.jpg post-4522-1146512832_thumb.jpg

Tim

B)

Mike,

great pictures, wonderful colors.. I'm feel like a kid waiting for Xmas.. hehehe.. I upgraded my EOS20D to 5D and hope to get nice shots there with my new rig.

Thank you.

Thanks for share this picts..

The distance between Brothers, Daedalus and Elphinstone is too long ?

Regards. Fabio

Marsa Galib - Brothers 6 hours, Brothers-Daedalus 10-12 hours, Daedalus-Elphinstone 8h. Elph-Marsa Galib 2h. Despite of long distances it is still good choice. Safari "the Best of the Red Sea" is little too much in terms of travelling. It cuts the diving. I think the best is Brother/Elphinstone. In august the water will be 28 D Celsius. I october/november 26-27 Degrees. It is everything there. Like an amarican friend says - a winner's game. If not the hammerheads and oceanic white tips, there will certainly be a lot of beautiful /IF NOT THE BEST FROM RED SEA/ soft corals. Coral shots are fantastic. We did brothers 3 times and it is getting a little crowded by theese times. Still acceptable in comparison with south reefs and Elphinstone.

Martin

Today we decided to go to Brothers from June 23 to July 2....on the Ghazala Voyager. Do you know this boat?

I have dived the Red Sea from Eilat to Djibouti, and from 1982 to 2006.

It is not true to say the further south you go the better it gets. It depends very much on when and where you go.

The Straits of Gubal area has plenty of wrecks. The deep water offshore reefs (The Brother Islands, Elphinstone, Daedelus, Elba, Angarosh, Shab Rumi, Sanganeb, Darat Abid, Zubair, Qoin Rock, and the Seven Brothers) have the best chance of encounters with pelagic life.

The inshore reefs in Southern Egypt have very dramatic hard coral formations but are surrounded by relatively shallow water so few big fishes. The last time I went to Daedelus (the most remote reef in Egyptian waters) I counted 120 divers on it! The last time I went to Jackson reef (Straits of Tiran) I had close encounters with two longimanus. The best whale shark pics I ever took were off the beach at Eilat!

So there is no way of knowing which place will give you the best dive on a particular day! Enjoy what there is when you are there.

Some diving friends spent a week on Ghazala Voyager, a couple of years ago, I think, and were very happy. Having said that, the dive guides can be the most important factor, especially if you want to go slow and shoot. Diving with non-photographers can mean too much rushing about. I only managed to snatch a few snapshots on Elphinstone, for instance, last year.

post-4522-1146836022_thumb.jpg

John Bantin is absolutely right, and I have really enjoyed myself in the water around Sinai and the Straits of Gubal. Alex Mustard regularly visits the north, and has prizes to prove it!

Having said that, this Nik V image from The Brothers is still one of my favourites:

post-4522-1146836377_thumb.jpg

Tim

B)

Some diving friends spent a week on Ghazala Voyager, a couple of years ago, I think, and were very happy. Having said that, the dive guides can be the most important factor, especially if you want to go slow and shoot. Diving with non-photographers can mean too much rushing about. I only managed to snatch a few snapshots on Elphinstone, for instance, last year.

post-4522-1146836022_thumb.jpg

John Bantin is absolutely right, and I have really enjoyed myself in the water around Sinai and the Straits of Gubal. Alex Mustard regularly visits the north, and has prizes to prove it!

Having said that, this Nik V image from The Brothers is still one of my favourites:

post-4522-1146836377_thumb.jpg

Tim

B)

Thank you tdpriest!

Luckily we are at least 10 photographers-models-friends so we should be able to have time for shooting :unsure:

Deep South is very good: Claudio's reef is fantastic, then Abu Galawa (wreck), Abu Maksur (extraordinary), Cave, Dolphin reef, Syal Island.

Choose a superior cathegory boat.

Ciao

David

Sponsors

Advertisements