Sign in to follow this  
Scuba_SI

Ikelite Substrobe 200

I know the answer to this may be a no-brainer, but here goes anyway:

Is the Ikelite SS200 suitable for use with the Nikon D70/D200. I currently use DS125's, but never in TTL, always manual wich leads me to believe the SS200 would be fine.... What advantages does the DS200 have to a shooter using manual modes? Recycle time? Weight? Any help would be great!

Cheers,

Simon

I've just been testing one with the EOS 5D and it seems to work fine as a manual strobe. I'm sure some of the Nikon users will be able to give you a more specific answer.

Fergus

The DS-200 can use Ikelite's Manual controler for 10 power settings.

The SS-200 is not compatible with the manual controler so it only has 4 manual power settings available.

James was using this strobe. I think he was just using it in manual.

I think if you can live with 4-manual settings it would be fine. You might need to have Ike disconnect the TTL on the TTL housing in order to use it. If you have the old non-TTL version you should be able to use it straight away.

The new DS-200 would be better because you could use the 10 manual levels built into the D70 TTL housing, which is very convenient. Or you could use the 10 manual levels on each of 2 manual controllers if you don't have a TTL housing. You could also use it in TTL if you want.

I've been using the Ike SS200's for years. They are great. The 4 power settings plus a diffuser is plenty of adjustment - I can't see needing any more.

I wired my hotshoe so that only one pin is present (fire) and use the strobes as manual. For wideangle shooting you're going to use them in manual anyhow...

Cheers

James

I am with James, have used these guys for a long time, never had any problem and the 4 settings are enough for me too. If you will be shooting in manual I don't see any need for the DS200, the SS200 already have a very fast recycle time. I am pretty sure weight and size are the same, which is large :lol: .

Luiz

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements