ripli

Mantas. The dive of a life

This was one of the best dives in all my short dive life...

It was this easter season in Maldives. We were in a live aboard and after look for mantas at 3 manta points through male nord, sud and Ari with no results...in our last chance we did BINGO!!!. Six huge mantas were dancing for us for a hall hour...as close as 20 cms from our heads...in fact i was slowly caressed twice by wings of two of them...it maybe sound strange but for me it was a mystic encounter...i could only think about how beautifull the scene was...these what i got in pictures...i hope you like it.

(all with the Oly 5060 + inon +dome+ 2xDS50).

p41470740re.jpg

p41470833ba.jpg

p41470783jw.jpg

p41470848uk.jpg

p41470852bu.jpg

p41470917ey.jpg

p41470951rh.jpg

p41470797yo.jpg

p41470867zm.jpg

Aren't they a beauty?...this is about why i love diving....

WOW, must have been a great dive, love your pics.

Regards

Gary

Outstanding..great shots

I really love your shots. Nice, crisp blue with good light!

Speaking of "mystic encounter"...I want to back that up with a little experience of my own.

A buddy and I returned to Phi Phi this January and dove at Hin Muang where we used to often see Mantas. This visibility was great and he and I were "selected" by a Manta as playmates. We floated out into the deep blue at around 60-90 feet and played with this single manta by ourselves for half an hour. Each time we tried to leave the Manta would "lure" us back down to play by circling closely around us. Nothing but blue, no bottom, no walls, no reef. When we got back we compared photos of this individual to one we saw 3 years before - turns out it was the same manta - markings were identical.

I have seen plenty of amazing things underwater including lots of mantas but nothing compared to the personal experience of this dive. So, no - "mystic encounter" does not sound weird to me at all, in fact it sounds like the perfect way to describe it! :lol: You're right. This is exactly why I dive.

Thanks for the great images.

Great shots.

We where there exactly one year ago, we sow only two mantas and not so close, I guess I'll have to return to the Maldives... :lol:

My fav is the 4th one down, but they are all very cool. You did a pretty good job of composing. This is one animal I have yet to photograph. When I do it will probably be with Mike V. since he will show me the "super secret double probation" manta sites.

Very nice shots. I'm not familiar with your rig. Is that a wide angle set up?

If you want to be almost guaranteed to see similar action again you might try the Soccorro Islands. The Broiler at San Benidicto Island has had action very much like you describe every dive I have made there.

Awesome shots, backgrounds are sooo smooth, very peaceful... cant wait to get that inon + dome. What depth were you shooting at?

WOW, must have been a great dive, love your pics.

Regards

Gary

Thanks Gary. It was the "best" dive ever....till the next one :rolleyes:

Very beautiful, I love them too. Wish I had been there.

Sylvie

Thanks Sylvie. It's a dream come true, i wish you see them someday :rolleyes:

Outstanding..great shots

Thanks Mike. It's a honor coming from you. You have been, really, an inspiration for this manta pics for me...i love your manta photos :rolleyes::blink::lol:

I really love your shots.  Nice, crisp blue with good light!

Speaking of "mystic encounter"...I want to back that up with a little experience of my own.

A buddy and I returned to Phi Phi this January and dove at Hin Muang where we used to often see Mantas.  This visibility was great and he and I were "selected" by a Manta as playmates.  We floated out into the deep blue at around 60-90 feet and played with this single manta by ourselves for half an hour.  Each time we tried to leave the Manta would "lure" us back down to play by circling closely around us.  Nothing but blue, no bottom, no walls, no reef.  When we got back we compared photos of this individual to one we saw 3 years before - turns out it was the same manta - markings were identical.

I have seen plenty of amazing things underwater including lots of mantas but nothing compared to the personal experience of this dive.  So, no - "mystic encounter" does not sound weird to me at all, in fact it sounds like the perfect way to describe it! :rolleyes:  You're right.  This is exactly why I dive.

Thanks for the great images.

Thanks Justin. That's exactly what i mean...it's nice to share this kind of feeling with you all.

Great shots.

We where there exactly one year ago, we sow only two mantas and not so close, I guess I'll have to return to the Maldives... ;)

Thanks Arnon...let's try again :rolleyes::blink::lol::D

My fav is the 4th one down, but they are all very cool. You did a pretty good job of composing.  This is one animal I have yet to photograph.  When I do it will probably be with Mike V. since he will show me the "super secret double probation" manta sites.

Thanks Kelpfish. With Mike it will be a sucess for sure :rolleyes::blink::lol:

Very nice shots. I'm not familiar with your rig. Is that a wide angle set up?

If you want to be almost guaranteed to see similar action again you might try the Soccorro Islands. The Broiler at San Benidicto Island has had action very much like you describe every dive I have made there.

Thanks Dave.

With the Inon and the dome i think i get aprox. 120º

Socorro it's in my dive list, i will let you know when we go there...i hope soon :rolleyes::blink:

Awesome shots, backgrounds are sooo smooth, very peaceful... cant wait to get that inon + dome. What depth were you shooting at?

Thanks Seriola. We were at 20 meters...inon +dome work greit together, for me, much better than the inon alone

Absolutely stunning! Have been the Maldives once but pre camera... really makes me want to return.... maybe next year

Sponsors

Advertisements