Sign in to follow this  
MikeVeitch

My D70 is BROKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dang it!!!

The dial on the back that changes the shutter speed and numerous other things has bitten the dust. It spins and spins and spins......and nothing changes....

Luckily underwater the only thing this does is change the shutter speed, i can change that over by changing the command dial to the aperture dial but... thats a huge pain in the butt having to go to the menu everytime i need to change one or the other.

Anyone else had this problem before? Anyone taken their camera apart to fix it?

Living in Yap means it will cost a fortune to send off to fix and it might not make it there and back again....so i would rather fix myself if possible..

Guess i will have to order a new body now as well...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR~!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nobody ships to Yap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rant over.....thanks for any help anyone...

M

Oh boy.... I really feel your pain, Mike. If there was ever a lesson for owning two camera bodies, this is it......

Best of luck fixing it: sorry I can't help!

Mine still works perfect here :rolleyes:

Bummer...... I would take the top opff and have a look in there.

I have pulled apart my PD100 many times over the years to get it going 100% again.

Undo the screws around the top and see if it comes off.

It may be a simple corossion thing.

See if you can get in there to see anything.

Maybe the housing was pushing to hard on the wheel.

Maybe Eric did something to it while he was there :blink:

The pics he posted of Yap look nice.

Hows the other Video Box you have going?

I'll ship it to Yap! But I'll have to hand-carry it and hang out for a few weeks :rolleyes:

All kidding aside - that is really depressing. I have never had a problem with mine, but I have often thought that the dial felt like a possible candidate for breaking.

My only thought is that because it's function changes based off other buttons - could it actually be that another button is stuck? Are you sure its in full manual and that no other buttons are mysteriously depressed causing it not to respond. It also feels like a friction based dial, did you trying pushing on it harder, etc.?

I very few useful ideas, only sympathy...

:blink:

I had the same thing happen to my F-100. What housing are you using? The reason I ask is that I always wondered it the Aquatica housing rear knob didn't put a little too much pressure on it causing it to fail. I sent it into Nikon and had it repaired. They replaced the whole dial and switch mechanism, and serviced the camera. Don’t recall the price, but I remember I was able to track online. I do remember it took several weeks. I never had a problem with it after that. Still working good. If you need someone to ship to, you can always ship to me on Guam, than I can forward to you. Not that everyone ships to Guam, we do have better access. The offer is legit, Tim Rock or Chris Bangs will vouch for me, if you trust them that is. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that, Mike. Hope you get it fixed soon.

Normally D70 are pretty bulletproof, or just die completely. First time I have heard of this problem.

Alex

Ok Mike we have a few options...

You could send it back with a European guest this week and i try to get it fixed for the PI... I have 2 D70 bodies, you could borrow one if you send yours to the states, but if you flood it, $$$$...

Option 2 would be take it apart, there may be my old D70 in pieces on the Tahiti Aggressor still, i could get the Lads to send it to me, or some detailed pics of the control set up if they still have it.

Option 3 would be i buy you a spare and bring it out... But immigration will have a field day with me bringing in 4 camera bodies!!

Maybe someone here on Wetpixel has one they dont use anymore....

Simon

Well, got a new one ordered.. shippin cost a bleedin fortune...

You will all be happy to know that if you need a D70s these days they go for $650 body only on B&H or Adorama.. pretty sweet deal actually.

Bummer, had it been sooner I would have been willing to hand carry it as far as Pohnpei and ship it from there as we are leaving tomorrow and will be on Pohnpei Friday night. Send me a note if you want to try and send the broken one back as we will in Truk the second week in May.

Well, got a new one ordered.. shippin cost a bleedin fortune...

You will all be happy to know that if you need a D70s these days they go for $650 body only on B&H or Adorama.. pretty sweet deal actually.

Let's see -- so that means you should receive it sometime in August, right? :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements