OK...I have dual DS-125s for my 20D setup and usually only use one when I shoot the 18-55 lens. On one occasion I remember the strobe not firing and thought it must have been the connection with the flash hotshoe. I didn't have the problem afterwards(in hindsight I probably had used the other strobe). Anyway, today I went out with the 18-55 lens and one strobe and the strobe wouldn't fire. At all. The lights come on but it doesn't fire. Not in TTL or full dump or anything. It's not the battery--I swap batteries with the other strobe and it still doesn't work. The sync connector chord works with the other strobe, so it's not the chord. I have no clue as to why it won't fire, but it won't. There is no visible trauma to the strobe. There is no residue buildup. No leakage, no anything. It just won't fire. Any ideas? It's not the camera or the hotshoe connection, as it works with the other strobe. I can only think of the connectors from the battery to strobe, but they look fine...anyway, I would appreciate any advice or experiences you may have had...thanks!

--John

To find determine if the probem is the strobe, try to manually cause the strobe to fire.

You can trip the strobe by short circuiting the two pins on the strobe with a paperclip. If you can not cause the strobe to fire this way the problem is the strobe and you will need to return it to ikelite for repair.

If the strobe fires upon short circuit the problem is in the sync cord or housing. Add one piece at a time and then short circuit to verify that it is working to pinpoint the part causing the trouble.

You can find a diagram showing which two pins to connect on ikelite's website.

http://www.ikelite.com/faq/faq_syncwiring.html

Ikelite TTL Bulkhead

Looking at the Ikelite TTL Bulkhead as installed on Substrobes and housings:

Connect "ground" to "trigger" to fire the strobe.

Excellent! Thanks! I did the test and was able to get the ready light to blink but was unable to get the strobe to fire. I guess it is time for Ike to the rescue. Ike, can you send me an email with info on what to do? Thanks a bunch!

I am not Ike, but I can answer your questions. Send the strobe directly to us at the address in my signature. Include with the strobe a short letter explaining your problem. You may want to include an e-mail address so we can contact you if necessary.

If you have other questions you can contact us at repair@ikelite.com.

From the description you gave it sounds like you may have a defective or broken flash tube.

Hmm...I sent email to repair@ikelite.com the day you posted the reply, and still no word back from Ikelite...

I allways go through Ike. You can try him at Ike@ikelite.com

I am not sure what happened but we replied to your e-mail on 4/28. The reply was re-sent this morning.

You can send the strobe UPS ground or whatever method is convenient for you. If you are leaving for a trip and need it back by a certain date be sure to state that in your letter.

Much appreciated. Not sure what happened to the first email. I searched my spam folder and it's not in there, either. I'll go ahead and send it in. Thanks!

--John

Sponsors

Advertisements