ReelBruin

Why wouldn't I want an E-330 with live view?

I'be been shooting with a Coolpix for a number of years, but this year I am doing to upgrade to a DSLR. I just read a few reviews of the new Olympus E-330, and it dawned on me then how much I rely on the LCD on the CP for a live view, because we all know that there's a bit more between the eye and the viewfinder underwate. So who WOULDN'T want an E-330? Anybody used this thing yet? Other cameras in consideration are the D200 and E30D.

Yes, interesting to read the previous posts again relating to the E330.

Clearly nearly all dSLR users on this forum use Nikon and Canon cameras and I suspect many take a kind of purist view that 'real' photographers would not consider that a live view feature to be that necessary.

I have not seen the E330 yet but I really like the sound of this feature. In my limited time in using a D70 and D50 SLR I consider a small viewfinder to be one of the biggest irritations. It does not stop me getting the shot but using a small viewfinder comes as an unpleasant experience after composing off an LCD.

I know that I may be in the minority.

Has anybody actually USED the thing underwater? That thread was all about people guessing what it MIGHT be like!

I actually got to use it a couple of weeks back. I think as James mentioned in that earlier thread that this camera will have a huge appeal to consumer camera users who upgrade to a DSLR. The liveview is a very nice feature to assist with framing, but there are some limitations I've found to the system:

1. To avoid stray beams of light entering through the viewfinder, it's best to keep the latter closed. For greater flexibility, the camera housing should offer the option of opening or closing it underwater.

2. The LCD live view has a noticeable reduced view (you see a cropped view of the actual frame). It would be easy to get the tip of a fin in the frame with the 8mm fisheye without realising it.

3. Battery consumption is increased with the use of live view, although this can be easily tackled by having a spare battery handy.

Just my 2 cents' worth...

I think the day may come when live view would be a worthy feature but I don't think the E330 will deliver what you are looking for. dpreview had this to say about the E330 live view:

Firstly I don't honestly see that many digital SLR owners asking for this feature, it's a neat option, it's good for upgraders coming from consumer cameras who may be used to seeing the live view on the LCD screen and it may well have one or two useful scenarios (macro shooting, live portraits shown on a TV screen) however for me I simply found myself moving back to the viewfinder more times than not. Secondly I wasn't particularly impressed with the implementation, it's confusing to have two modes, neither of which was perfect. A mode suffers from a noisy /grainy view in medium/low light, doesn't provide full frame coverage and doesn't represent white balance or depth of field correctly. B mode utilizing the main sensor means the mirror is up, no auto focus and no metering (during live view), and again no representation of white balance.

And this was similur to my initial read of this feature. Neither mode fits the bill for underwater. You simply can't use B mode underwater since you can't AF. Even if you could focus the lens its hard to judge focus in an LCD. A mode would be actually more difficult to use than the viewfinder given the imperfections in the quality of the picture.

You really should try the viewfinder underwater. It really does put you in the zone while shooting. It focuses your attention like shooting a rifle. I was sceptical at first as well but I've learned to embrace the viewfinder. I wouldn't want live preview.

Sponsors

Advertisements