ReelBruin

So, help me decide 30D vs. D200?

I am moving from CP world to DSLR world. I've read a lot of posts and reviews, which lead me to believe that the D200 is overall a better camera. If you were starting out fresh, which would you choose - 30D or D200?

Not going to comment on the cameras. But the D200 has more housing opinons, which might be a consideration?

Alex

If you want to use a 180 degrees Fisheye there is only one choice: Nikon. Furthermore i think they're both good cameras.

cheers, udo

A bit offtopic, Canon 5D + 15mm FE also produce 180 degrees, right?

Whats a Canon? like a bomb or something?

Whats a Canon?  like a bomb or something?

I didn't know this word also so I used Babylon, and according to it

Canon: low of the church, accepted principle... can't finds the relevant to this forum. :)

official definition is: camera rear dial keeps on working :)

I can't comment on Canon as I'm a Nikon guy. I have the D200 and can tell you first hand that it is an awesome camera. The best thing to do would be to go out and buy a CF card and rent both the Nikon and the Canon for a day or weekend and do your own comparison. I assume you don't have lenses for either, which will allow you to just go with what feels right.

I think the bottom line is you can't go wrong with either of these cameras. Both have a lot of heritage with a well established lens line, both have excellent performance, and both are very popular underwater.

If you are interested in the Canon I would suggest you look hard at the 20D instead. The 20D was a very popular camera and therefore has lots of housing options. The performance/feature difference between the 20D and 30D is slight. Digital Photography Review, the website I think that offers the most expert advice on digital cameras had this to say about the 30D.

So eighteen months after the EOS 20D comes the EOS 30D, which honestly has to be one of the least exciting upgrades so far. The real headline improvements are a larger LCD monitor, standardizing on 'Picture Style', spot metering, third stop ISO selection and selectable continuous shooting speeds.

You can see this review here:

dpreview

Because of this I think housing options will be limited and you will have to wait while manufacturers start offereing housings for this new model. You could save money with the 20D without sacrificing much, and give you more housing options.

The D200 is also an excellent camera. I think its about a 1/2 step up from the 20D/30D. Canon/Nikon leapfog each other with new cameras every 6-12 months. Also you will spend several times what you spend on a body on good lenses. So I think it makes more sense to evaluate the lens lines instead of the body features.

There are about 4-5 lenses that are very popular with underwater photographers:

Short focal length macro 50-60mm (Both Nikon and Canon have good 60mm macros)

long focal length macro 100-105mm (Nikon has a new AFS VR Canon's has IS too)

Wide angle zoom ~12-24mm (10-20mm) (Canon has an excellent WA zoom)

180 deg fisheye. (Nikon has the only one for cropped sensors)

So if I were you I'd decide which lenses are most important to you and try them both out in the store. Depending on how you like the feel of either one and your budget I'd get the one that fits you the best.

Hello guys !

thanks UWPhotoNewbie for the advice about the importance of the lenses. I am getting the Canon 5D, and have to decide which lenses to get. For now, it's going to be two, one WA and one Macro.

Any recomendations, if you could only get two ?? Do not know when I will be able to afford more lenses...

By the way, I am buying the Ikelite housing...I've had very good experiences with Ikelite, for photo and video.

thanks !!

Hey Newbie, You can bring that fisheye with you to Aurora Reservoir...it might help put the feeling back in your fingertips if you hold it in the sun at the right angle!!! :)

Thanks all. I'm leaning towards the Nikon on the basis of the environmental seals. I heard that is a plus on the Nikon. Otherwise sounds like I can't go wrong with the D200. And I am a fan of Ike housings myself as well.

Friends don't point weapons at each other....

Dodge Ram are two contridictory commands....

There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary, and those that don't......

Thanks all. I'm leaning towards the Nikon on the basis of the environmental seals. I heard that is a plus on the Nikon.  Otherwise sounds like I can't go wrong with the D200. And I am a fan of Ike housings myself as well.

I thought it was the Canon that was environmentally sealed and that was a weakness of Nikon. Can anyone clarify?

Just got my D200 3 days ago and love it. It's my first SLR so I can't offer a comparison, but regarding the enviromental seals, it's advertised as:

Durable, Magnesium alloy (Mg) body: Nikon's advanced technologies and mechanisms are housed within a rugged, lightweight magnesium alloy chassis and body ready for the most rigorous of assignments. Additional sealing for dust and moisture add to the D200's strength.

Seems to be a great piece of gear, Am currently scrapping together pennies and begging the wife for a housing.

Johnt

Yes, the D200 has better seals. Doesn't really matter for underwater use though - as if you flood either one, it's going to be toast anyhow.

It might be useful for shooting in the rain though. I wonder if Nikon has started putting seals on their lenses like Canon does w/ their L glass. Not much use sealing the camera if water can get in the lens mount...

Cheers

James

The 70-200 AFS, 200-400 f4, 300 f2.8 VR and the other exotic superteles have, and have pretty much always had, weather sealing gaskets at the lens mount. The shorter lenses and cheaper versions don't have additional sealing.

One spec that doesn't get talked about much in these pixel measuring days is autofocus. Good AF in low light is particularly useful if you like macro shooting - and of little importance if you favour wide angle.

Although, I have never used either I'd expect the D200 to be better here - particularly in low light, low contrast UW shooting.

On the flip side ID expect the Canon to have better high ISO anti noise performance and this might be a bonus if you plan to do a lot of filter photography, where shooting at ISO 400+ can create interesting effects.

Alex

Any recomendations, if you could only get two ?? Do not know when I will be able to afford more lenses...

If I could only have 2 on full frame I'd get a WA zoom something in the 17-35 range and a 100mm macro. This should cover you for most situations.

I would also want a midrange zoom for normal topside shooting. Something longer to cover 24-80mm or so. If nothing else I would get a 50mm prime. These are only about $100.

Sorry I can't be more specific. I haven't thought much about Canon FF lenses.

Happy Shooting.

I am getting the Canon 5D, and have to decide which lenses to get. For now, it's going to be two, one WA and one Macro.

I would go with the 17-40mm and the 100 mm macro...

I agree completely with the 17-40mm, and 100 macro suggestion. Those two will cover 95+% of your shooting needs. However, if price is not too relevant you may wish to consider the 15 FE in addition to the aforementioned two. Also, if you are interested in squeezing out that last bit of crispness in a photo then (down the road) you should look at any of the primes up to the 50 macro as well. I use these for my 1dsmarkII.

imasleeper

thank you both for the answers ! the price IS relevant, so I will be getting just this two for now !!

I wonder if Nikon has started putting seals on their lenses like Canon does w/ their L glass.  Not much use sealing the camera if water can get in the lens mount...

Now they do (at least this one I plan on buying if there is a port for it):

http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/le...8g_if/index.htm

However, if price is not too relevant you may wish to consider the 15 FE in addition to the aforementioned two.

I would have the 15mm Fisheye from Sigma as my third lens (sigma is cheaper and focuses closer 15cm by canon´s 21cm)

Sponsors

Advertisements