debersole

Mantas and Sharks from Socorro -- April 22-30, 200

I just got back from a week aboard the Nautilus Explorer in Socorro. The 240 mile crossing was rough with 8-10 foot seas, but the diving was great. We had humpback whales, dolphins, manta rays, sharks (white tip reef, silky, galapagos, silvertip, scalloped hammerhead), turtles, eels, octopus -- you name it. I would highly recommend the boat & crew as well as the location if you're looking for "big animal" diving. Photos below:

crw_9288a.jpg

crw_9251a.jpg

crw_9178a.jpg

crw_9291a.jpg

crw_9328a.jpg

crw_9329a.jpg

Beautiful shark photo, the first one is very nice. Good job! :)

All good photos, the one of the manta with the diver stands out for me, the elements are perfectly placed!

Richard.

I think the 4th photo with the Manta and the diver is the best - really awesome. But the one that actually stands out to me is the head-on manta with the remoras. Very cool symmetry in the shot.

Thanks!

Nice. Very nice. What lens were you using for your manta shots? I'm booked on Nautilus next year & I've been hearing great things about Soccoro. My experience with the Bahamas sharks earlier this year makes me think that my 10-22mm lens was a tad too wide for much of the action we got. So I'm thinking 17-40mm will definitely be coming with me next time.

Hamish.

Hi,

I did about 8 trips on the Nautilus this year and i would recommend the widest lens you can get your hands on for the Mantas, i regularily used my 10.5mm at the Boiler and Roca Partida, and the 12-24mm was very useful too. For the Sharks i would say a 60mm macro or equivalent, because if you are having a slow week with the pelagics you may be able to get some cool shots of Clarion Angelfish or Blennies in the rocks.

For a land lens take a long telephoto if you have one for the breaching whales....

Simon

Great stuff Doug!

Hamish --

I used either my 18-55 mm or my 10-22mm for the mantas, mostly the 18-55 mm. That way with my zoom gear I could shoot other smaller stuff on dives where the mantas didn't show up.

Mike--

Thanks for the kind words. Not up to your level with the mantas, but then I don't get to play with them everyday!

Doug,

Are those triggerfish on the manta on the second shot? Whatever they are, very cool symmetry and flow. Great shots.

Chris

Sponsors

Advertisements