Sign in to follow this  
chewie70

Aquatica D200 dome shield question

I'm hoping some of you Aquatica guys and gals can give me your thoughts on some issues I'm having with the dome shield.

First are the specs: Aquatica 8" WA dome port for the D200 housing. Item# 18405

Aquatica 8" dome shade for the 8" dome port. Item # 18482

Now for the issues I'm having with this. First off, what is the cut away in the first pic supposed to be used for? I assumed it was for the command dial, but if used for that, the clock position of the shade is off.

The second problem is kind of linked to the first one. Since you can't use the cut away for the command dial, you have loosen the command dial knob and pull it almost half way off of it's post so the shade will seat properly against the base of the dome port.

Finally, the outer retaining screws dont lock down on the dome port ring and pretty much drop off the back side of the ring as seen in pic 3.

Did I get a defective shade, or is this just an example of bad design and workmanship? I'm having a hard time believing that a company like Aquatica would put out something designed and built like this when there housings are a work of art. I would definately like to hear everyones input on this. All in all, I was overly impressed with the housing and can't wait to get it wet, but somewhat disappointed in the shade.

Matt

post-6283-1146970741_thumb.jpg

post-6283-1146970772_thumb.jpg

post-6283-1146971079_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I noticed that you have the wideangle shade, not the fisheye shade. The wideangle shade works fine when the dome is used with an extension ring. The only time you use the D200 and dome w/o an extension ring is for the 15mm and 10.5mm lenses.

The shade that I have uses two sets of set screws. One set comes out behind the dome and keeps it from sliding off, the other set actually tightens it up against the rim of the dome.

I think the cut-out is a throw-back from the aperture gear days, but I'm not really sure.

Cheers

James

Hi Matt

When you screw in the dome into the housing/entension ring, hold on the dome, DON'T just hold on the dome shape.

stone

The cut away is/was made for clearing the boss on the front of the D100, S2pro housings. I will check with the office about the clearance and get back to you. James got the screw layout expalined properly (thank's)

Kudo's to you James, everything makes since now. You always seem to have all the answers and I thank you. The thought of how things would work when the extension was added had not even crossed my mind since I have not purchased any yet am not sure which len's I will be using. I'm an ex Nikonos guy, so this whole housing thing is completely new to me.

Stone, thanks for the forwarning. I would like to think that I would not have that big of a brain fart, but when the pressure's on, you never know.

Thanks Jean, as I told James, everything is making since. I wasn't tryimg to slam anyone, I was just kind of confused. Awesome housing BTW, I'm beyond excited to get this thing wet.

Later all,

Matt

Matt

In Aquatica's page you will find a lens chart under the catalog of D70/S housing. You will see what kind of port and rings you need.

stone

Thanks Stone,

I printed that off. I'm just contemplating which len's will best suit me. It's between the 12-24, 17-35, 17-55 and 18-35. I guess I need to make up my mind.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements