Sign in to follow this  
woody

Can anyone tellme what went wrong?

Hi,

I shot this on my last Red Sea trip, using a CP995 in an Aquatica housing, and a YS-90 DX strobe. For some reason the stripes on the fish are blue! Can anyone explain this?

Thanks,

John

I may be wrong but it looks to me like a white balance problem. This can be rectified by adjusting your settings but I know little about your camera to help you directly. Suggest go to your manual & find out how to ensure white can be accurately potrayed in conditions using artificial light.

Don't worry too much. A little play in PSP afterwards and your blues can disappear.

Mark H

I agree, I think it's a W/B issue...

Mark, they look a little radioactive now!!! B)

Slight color adjustment can save this photo...

I did that too, but for some reason the pictures didn't load!

Much Better Laz!

Your strobe is firing straight down from the top and didn't illuminate the sides of the fish too well, so I think you're seeing the color balance difference between the strobe and ambient light here. A different strobe position might avoid this.

This effect is common when shooting video closeups with lights in daylight. Shadows appear cyan.

Many anemonefish do in fact have "neon blue" stripes. These are:

Maroon Clown

Blue-striped Clown (A. chrysopterus)

A. clarkii and A. sebae sometimes too.

So, it's not necessarily your fault!

Cheers

James

Mark, they look a little radioactive now!!! B)

Hey cmon. Give me an hour & it would be perfect. This took me 2 ticks just to show all is not lost!

Chaps, thanks for the feedback. This must be the most active, helpful forum anywhere!

I had actually done the fixes with PS - I was just wondering where the blue came from! None of my other clownfish shots show blue stripes, so maybe Craig's explanation is the right one!

Anyway, thanks to all!

John

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements