Sign in to follow this  
jarhed

Turks and Caicos

I'm headed to the Turks and Caicos in Early December, I'll be staying on Provo, for about 8 days. Looking for reccomendations for hotel and dive operators.

Also what lenses to bring/buy. (I'll be diving with my new D200! )

any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks! John

Hi John, last summer we stayed a few days at Turtle Cove and dove with Provo divers. (Was there for the Aggressor L.A. but stayed a few extra days) Was happy with both operations. The Hotel is typical middle of the road type place. Close to several restaurants, Liquor store and right on the water.

The Dive op was great. After the initial dives, they pretty much let us do our own thing which is always appreciated.

You'll find both W/A and macro there. So maybe 15mm and 60mm??

Rand

I dove with both Provo Turtle Divers and Caicos Adventures.

http://www.provoturtledivers.com

http://www.caicosadventures.com/

I had great experiences with both. At the time Caicos Adentures didn't have a good boat because they had recently grounded their big cat. ProvoTurtles had a brand new boat. This was almost two years ago so I'm not sure what the current status is. Both seemed to be well run operations and I had great dives with both. Because of their location ProvoTurtle tends to dive primarily on the walls at NorthWest point. The diving there is very good. However, Caicos Adventures is on the other side of Provo and is more liklet to make runs to West Caicos. The diving there is spectacular!! I probably liked the crew at ProvoTurtle better but the spots I went to with Caicos Adenture were superior. You can't go wrong by mixing it up and doing a few dives with each of these two operators.

I rented a house with family so I can't help you on the hotel front.

Have fun.

Ive been there twice with my family and am heading back for a third go this December (we fly Christmas day). Each time it has been Ocean Club West for accomodations and Big Blue Unlimited.

Ocean Club West is a nice place with pool, bar, etc. for my Mom and sister who took a few days off from the diving.

Big Blue is the best dive operation I have ever diven with. They are very very professional, take out small groups, and make regular trips on fast boats out to West Caicos and French Cay. I don't know about the other dive ops, but I know thta Big Blue is pretty great.

Cool, appreciate the help, especially the advice about diving with multiple operators.

Thanks!

John

Hi John !

If you don't want to spend to much money in your acomodation I will recomend you to stay in Confort Suites or Turtle Cove Inn, both hotels are nice but not too fancy. The good thing about the Turtle Cove Inn is that it is in Turtle Cove Marina and you have few restaurants around and a good area for snorkel (Smeth Reef) and Turtle Divers next door. I've been living in Provo for the last past seven years and I always dive with Provo Tutle Divers or Flamingo Divers,both are great dive shops and have great people working for them.

But if you really want to enjoy the best diving of Provo I will recomend you to dive in a liveaboard like the Aggressor.

John, I just bought a Nikon D200 too and a Subal housing,it is a great camera for underwater use.Please don't hesitate to contact me for any additional information.

David

Many thanks for the advice. I also hope to be housing my D200 in the Subal housing. This will be my first trip with the my new rig. I plan to bring my 60mm lens, but have not aquired a wide angle lens yet.

I'm leaning towards the 12-24, but am also considering a 16 mm or 17-55.

what would you reccomend taking into condideration that this is my first time shooting a SLR underwater?

Thanks!

John

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements