ssra30

Nikkor 105mm VR AF-S and Subal ND2 housing again

I've tried with an without VR... it works fine as long there's a real contrast in the focusing zone - but not in other cases !

VR works fine for macro picture... and for some underwater picture it may be useful as well.

I turned on the focusing light on my Ike DS-125 and was able to auto focus in dark water even with a WetMate add-on lens

I autofocus my AF-S 105 through my wetmate all the time. Can't do that with the old 105 or the 60.

I think the AF on this game is phenomenal. You have to learn how to use it. If the lens is focused a little off your subject it may shoot the focus way out before coming back to the subject that you wanted to focus on. It just takes a little touch and the lens is unbeatable.

I did the comparison between both lens in same situations... it's not a problem of darkness its just a problem of contrast : if there no contrast... the older is better (a lot of people came to that conclusion). Where I think this lens is the best : in AF-C mode... once focusing is done :)

Hi,

I'm planning to "upgrade" my AF-D 105 to the new AF-S 105 but

after reading claude posts I have fear on it.

Since it's impossible to me to try the lens,

I want to hear more people that have compared the 2 lens.

Claude, can be your unit defective?

Best

Suggest you post this question on dpReview. Should find lots of people who have tried both lenses. I imagine someone has posted samples.

Claude, can be your unit defective?

I don't think so... as some other people have the same problem!

I have been using the old 105 AF-D for a while and was always disappointed about the slow AF. Specially when using it with my Kenko 2x Converter, it was sooo slow.

Around the closest focus distance and under low light/low contrast, the AF liked to shoot in and out without focussing.

I sold the old lens before I got the new 105 AF-S and was convinced that the new lens will perform much better and make me happy.

Unfortunately I never had both leses at the same time for a direct comparison.

Until now, I dived only one time with just the 105 AF-S. I like the fast AF very much, but can not see much better performance of the AF beyond the speed.

When I use it with the Kenko 2x, it is the same super slow snail like AF-D is.

Same result with Nikon 2x.

Without the possibility to compare exactly, I feel that the focussing performance

has not improved.

VR is useless underwater because I am not using shutter speeds below 1/60 when shooting macro.

My conclusion is that it is nice to have quick AF when shooting normal macro, but no advantage when shooting super macro with converters.

Moreover I am missing the noise of the old lens. It helped me a lot to hear the focus moving and to know exactly by the "click" when it was completely in or out.

Somehow , the silent AF is a disadvantage for me when shooting under difficult condition close at the minimum focus distance.

For me, it was not worth to spend the extra 400 Euro.

Hi,

some days ago I ask Subal about this lens.

Yesterday they tell to me that the lens need a

special port, with a support plate that they are

now designing (Sorry if my English isn't good).

Can't do that with the old 105 or the 60.

I shot quite a bit w/ AF in Lembeh using a 60 and a wetmate....NO problems!

I wouldn't expect any 105 w/ 2X to AF at all underwater.

YMMV,

Dave

I have just got a new port for my Subal - with a much wider throat. The minimum width of the new one is 96mm internal diameter. The standard Subal port is about 85mm.

Typically, though, my local camera dealer has no more 105mm VR in stock, so can anyone advise me if this will fit.

It is not just a case of the maximum diameter of the lens - because it is the switches on one side that matter.

What I need to know is the maximum radius of the lens barrel including the switches - and compare that with the internal radius of my new port (48mm).

Alex

Ah, according the Nikon the lens is 83mm in diameter - but I am not convinced this includes the switches. If anybody has the lens and a pair of calipers! I would like to know the diameter of the barrel and the diameter of the barrel with the switches.

Say the switches stick out 3mm - and the diameter including them is 83mm. Then the radius on the side of the switches is 43mm - which is why it is such as tight fit in a standard Subal port (radius 42.5mm).

Anyway this calculation makes me think my new port will be more than big enough. Yippee.

Alex

Alex, is it the diameter of the port that is the problem? or the diameter of the opening of the housing?

I thought both.. but from your post sounds like the housing opening is not a problem.

Great news for you Subal owners the, much easier to create a new port. Best of luck! Sweet AF you will soon have!

I too had a chance to test the Nikon 105mm VR (after some legerdemain with an Allen wrench) while at California's Channel Islands -- and found it lacking, especially in lower light conditions. A fellow diver had recently purchased it and offered to loan it to me. After two dives, I politely replaced it with my older model -- which didn't have much of an issue in focussing on dimly lit or smaller subjects. I have had a better track record with my 60mm anyway.

Perhaps the new lens is a boon in the Red Sea or PNG, but not from my experience in darker California waters . . .

I sold my 105VR lens : it does very good and sharp picture... but the AF sensitivity is really bad with it as soon as you're using it for 'real' macro (2:1 to 1:1) - and you can forget this lens in low light conditions !

I'm now back to the old version... it's not an AFS but it get the focus much quicker than the VR... and it feet so easily in my Subal housing ! :D

post-496-1161364331_thumb.jpg

I have to agree with the other posters on the focusing issues with the 105mm VR. For normal non-macro distances this lens is super fast. But for macro distances I'm not sure its faster. Alex had a commentary on this and I agree with his conclusions. It focuses faster it just doesn't lock on any faster.

However I do have some good news about this lens. It works fine with the 52mm 3T and 4T diopters that I have from my old 105mm if used with a 62-52mm step down ring. No need to fret over the discontinued 62mm 5T and 6Ts. You get zero vigenetting with the smaller lens. It seems to me that the wider filter attachment on this lens is all about the lens diameter due to VR and not wider optical elements. It also works great with reversed primes using the 52mm filter attachment (i.e. 24mm and 50mm).

So I'll stop biding on expensive 6T diopters on e-bay. The last few went for over $120. Crazy for an item that sold for $40.

The only reason I can think that Nikon have discontinued the 5T and 6T is that they are planning to replace them with an updated design, optimised for the 105mm VR.

I wouldn't be making over priced bids for the old dioptres on e-bay.

Alex

I bought my 6T on ebay just before 105VR was available for about 30€... Based on what I'm reading here, I think it was a good deal ! :D

Edited by Claude

Sponsors

Advertisements