Sign in to follow this  
Deep Snapper

HMS Stubborn through D70

I thought of posting some pics taken today with the D70 at a depth of 60metres off Qawra, Malta.

The wreck is the HMS Stubborn.

http://www.deepsnapper.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=3

Some of the pics are with my old rig (Coolpix 995)

Hope you enjoy them! Please send your comments! I think i am saturating the colors too much... (guess i need a sypder..) :blink:

Antonio

PS: Some history of the Stubborn....

The Royal Navy S Class Submarine HMS Stubborn (P-238) was built by Cammell Laird Shipyard of Birkenhead, near Liverpool on the River Mersey, United Kingdom. It was laid down on the 10th September 1941 as vessel No. 1096 and launched on the 11th November 1942. It was commissioned on the 20th February 1943.

Cammell Laird was founded in 1824 as boiler and ironworks. At the begining of the last century the company merged with Sheffield firm Charles Cammell. The shipyard was one of the backbones of the Admiralty during the Second World

War, building 106 warships for the Royal Navy, including many of the S-Class submarines. In 1950 it also built the largest aircraft carrier in the world at the time, HMS Ark Royal.

Stubborn's most famous captain was Ex HMS P.238. Lt AA Duff (later Sir Anthony, GCMG, CVO, DSO, DSC),who also had a distinguished career in the British Foreign Office. Duff became Ambassador to Nepal, High Commissioner to Malaysia and to Kenya, Deputy Under Sec of State 75-8, Deputy Sec Cabinet Office 80-85. Between 1985 and 1988 Sir Anthony was also Director of MI5, the British Security Intelligence Agency. Duff died on the 13th August 2000.

HMS Stubborn, together with another S-Class, HMS Sceptre (P-215), was used as towing submarine in the midget submarine raid on Tirpitz, KÃ¥ Fjord, Norway, Sept 1943. It towed X7 (Lt BCG Place VC) outbound and after waiting off KÃ¥ Fjord for five days, X10 (Lt KR Hudspeth RANVR) found her and took a tow homeward, though X10 was later scuttled in a gale. The X-craft, which had a crew of 4 men each, were towed submerged, coming up to the surface every six hours in order to ventilate their hulls. The operational crew of the X7 were Place, Whittam, Aitken and Whitley

On the 13th February 1944 HMS Stubborn attacked an enemy convoy off Trondheim, Norway, and was severely depth-charged. After the hydroplanes jammed to dive, the submarine dived to 400 feet before shooting uncontollably to the surface. Upon surfacing, the Stubborn was in sight of the enemy and had to dive once again, this time to a depth of over 540 feet, 200 feet more than the S-Class test depth.

The boat miraculously survived the depth-charge attack which followed. The submarine survived on ordeal of having over seventy depth-charges dropped on her, and despite being badly damaged still managed to evade capture.

To the releif of the captain and its crew, HMS Stubborn surfaced more than seven hours later with an estimated bow-up angle of 60-70 degrees.

Despite suffering damaged ballast tanks, destroyed ASDIC and broken rudder during the depth-charge attack and the enormous pressure it had to endure, HMS Stubborn managed to make her way home. Home Fleet mobilized to bring the Stubborn safely home. British destroyers bravely went within 23 miles (37km) of the Norwegian coast to rescue the damaged S-class submarine and tow her back to Holy Loch in Scotland.

Following the Trondheim adventure, HMS Stubborn joined Eastern Fleet and sank Japanese patrol boat No.2, off Surabaya in the Java Sea on the 25th July 1945. Following the war, HMS Stubborn was sunk as an Anti-Submarine target off Malta on the 30th April 1946 where it still lies.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements