Has anyone had any experience in using a remote trigger ( strobe and camera ) known as a pocket wizard to:

A. Fire a remote sumerged camera from above the surface.

B. Fire a remote strobe that is above the surface while the camera is submereged below?

I am working on a couple of projects in which I need to be able to do that.

Any ideas??

That is pretty much what I had guessed.

I scored this great little Ikelight flash housing on eBay last night for $14.00, I am going to convert it to use the wizard as it will only need to go as deep as 3 feet.

Should work pretty slick.

I have also tested to fire a remote flash underwater by using the Pocketwizard system, but it did not work. It didn't work even if the transmitter was on the surface and the receiver was only foot below the surface.

Are there any remote transmitters/receivers which would work underwater?

How can I get couple of remote flashes to work underwater? What are the options?

I did not exactly get what the Aquatic had done with Pocketwizard system :)

Would a simply optical slaving system (ala Ikelite) work for your project - or are you too far away from the strobe?

Would a simply optical slaving system (ala Ikelite) work for your project - or are you too far away from the strobe?

What kind of system is that? What is the method there?

I have tried also to use Canon 580EX flashes which use built in infrared system for firing but those don't either work reliably enough underwater.

Maybe the one solution for my problem would be to put the Pocketwizard transmitter and receivers above the water with long enough sync cords. I don't need to be deep with the system so the cord length would not be that big an issue.

Aquatech makes underwater housings for pocketwizards. They have to be close to the surface though....

Ryan at reef photo can make you a long custom cord to trigger your pocket wizard at the surface.

Unfortunately neither high frequency or infra red will work under water due to light adsorption through the water column.

All tried and tested subsea wireless communication is done acoustically and this is the route you d have to go. This would mean design circuits and interfaces yourself.

It is easier and more reliable to hard wire.

Good luck Erol

Sponsors

Advertisements