col

Telemacro on A1 - does it work?

Does the telemacro function on the A1 work well underwater? Any probs using it underwater?

Hi Col,

The telemacro works fine. I was filming some fish eggs the other day and they came up nice and clear. I would suggest a tripod though.

Dive safe

DeanB

The telemacro works fine. I was filming some fish eggs the other day and they came up nice and clear. I would suggest a tripod though.

Hi Dean

Thanks for that. My fiance uses the A1 with the Amphibico Buddy Evo (without the telemacro) and is wondering if it's worth getting modified so she can use it.

Not sure she'd want to take a tripod u/w though - is the DOF that small? Is it pretty much useless handheld u/w?

If you're into Macro, the telemacro is pretty nice. Without the telemacro, the optics are "optimized" for wider angle shots. When you zoom in the camera won't focus particularly close or and with particually high magnification. When you push the telemacro button, the camera zooms completely and can focus closer to the subject for a better (read greater magnified) macro shot.

DOV is narrower, but the bigger problem is that any little movement of the camera will result in a big movement of the image. It's kind of like trying to hold the really long pole and touching a bull's eye vs. holding a thumb tack and touching a bull's eye.

I wish Sony allowed half or three quarters zoom with telemacro. That way you could choose to give up a little magnification for more stability.

:-) Barrett

Hi Col,

All of the above... :P

I've been experimenting with a couple of options. A table top tripod and a monopod. Both hold better but where I film even the slightest touch in the wrong place kicks the silt up big time..

It all depends what macro you want and how close etc...

You could always go through a flat port and use diopters for closer stuff but then DOV would be smaller and stability worse.

I find with some stuff you have to be mtionless, any movement closer or moving away puts the shot out of focus. But then again I'm still in the practise zone with Telemacro..

Dive safe

DeanB

I don't know that I can add anything new, but I will confirm what Dean & Barrett have said.

You really need some way to stabilize the camera if you are going to use Telemacro. Remember that you will be shooting an area less than 2 inches across from over a foot away. ANY movement of the camera will show up as a huge movement of the subject.

You'll also need to be using lights to get any type of depth of field. Without lights, even under good conditions you'll be shooting wide open.

I don't know if you have seen this, but I have attached a clip that shows what I got the one time I tried using Telemacro. This is handheld, and without lights. The first half of the clip is wide angle, from the same distance as the Macro.

This was shot with the A1 in an L&M Bluefin, which should have very similar optics to the EVO.

Shrimp

Disclaimer: I'm new to video, so I'm sure I had more motion than someone with more experience.

In spite of the challenges, the ability to shoot macro without being right on top of your subject could be very useful.

Hi all

Thanks for all the excellent info - much appreciated! :P

It looks like TM could be a useful feature u/w esp for some super shy macro stuff like pygmy's.

SomeAssembly - thanks for the clip...that was an excellent illustration of what TM can do.

Hmm time to modify the housing now...

Sponsors

Advertisements