Sign in to follow this  
Steve Douglas

History Channel

Hey All,

Not even sure how they got my footage or what footage it is, I believe some shark stuff, but this Tues, June 6, at 9pm there is a show called MegaDisasters on the History channel. They bought 14 seconds for the production which I have yet to see.

Steve B)

sweet! well done Steve!

Cool Steve..I hope they gave you top dollar.

Awesome - well done!

Thought i would move this over to Members in Media...

Thanks all, since I don't know what footage they had of mine or of what, I just hope it comes out well. At least they paid.-Steve B)

Hi Steve,

Congrats on getting your footage on the History channel... Did you realise it will air on the number of the beast, 6/6/06?

Did you find out how they got hold of your footage?...How much does the history channel pay per second?

I hope the show airs in Australia. look foward to seeing your work.

Nathan.

I have no idea how they got a hold of my footage. The assistant who originally called me said that it was some shark footage but didn't know what kind of sharks so, for all I know it could be ancient hi 8 stuff I shot of blues and makos or DV of hammers, white and silver tips, maybe a whale shark or two. I am in the dark.

I did sell about 20 secs to the Sea World company a couple of years ago to be used in their outdoor show down in Miami, and then they wanted the rights to use it at the other parks so I was able to make even more $. They got to me through a recommendation from a producer who knew me but was not an uw shooter. It is hard to sell things and not undercut yourself or others. I have been asked to sell footage but will not sell unless they meet the proper price. If you sell your footage for less just to get your name on a credit you undercut yourself and the entire community who are also trying to get the same things accomplished. I've attached the rates I use and would love for all of us to use similar rates so that we do not undercut eachother.

B) Steve

PS The rates on the attachment were given to me by a producer and great guy named Rick Allen. He has shot underwater footage for numerous programs on Discovery and a host of others. I have since adopted his policy. Remember never to give up the rights to your own footage in case you wish to use the footage for future projects or to resell them elsewhere.

rates.tiff

You are correct Steve in never giving up your rights and don't under sell yourself.

Always get a general leter of intent signed as well.

Some just expect you to just give them stuff or offer to give you peanuts, so they get peanuts. Although if it's for a good cause, I have given material for free.

I also just sold some to the Jacaranda Altas 6 edition that will come with a multimedia CDROM. 250,000 copies are being made. :)

Wagsy,

Wow that is some coup; excellent and congratulations.

You are right, nothing wrong with giving something away for a good cause but one needs to avoid doing that just to get a name up. I was did a film for the San Diego Oceans Foundation on the diving the then newly sunk destroyer 'Yukon'. About a year later someone from Rodale's new TV show wanted most of the 13 min training video and offered a whopping $600.00 for it. I turned them down flat. The gal from the Foundation was annoyed because she thought it would get the Foundation's name on the credit list as well but that was where I was drawing the line. B) It is far too expensive for all of us to buy equipment and pay to go all over the world just to give our footage away. The bragging rights of a credit lasts less than the 2 seconds your name is up there and its just not ethical for any of us to just give it away.

Steve B)

Hi Wagsy,

Im interested in the general letter of intent.

Could you please post an example of the letter

Thanks,

Nathan.

Here is an initial contract that was sent to me when I sold footage to SeaWorld a few years ago. Don't know if my comments in red will paste up but it also gives you an idea. My rates have since gone up a bit.

Steve B)

March 18, 2004

Mr. Steve Douglas

VIA EMAIL

RE: Stock Footage Request and License

Dear Steve,

ON TRACK THEMES INC. would like to license the following clips:

Steve Douglas tape #2 TRT 8 sec. Fish in bottle

Steve Douglas tape #2 TRT 7 sec Dancing coral

Steve Douglas tape #2 TRT 10 sec Dancing fish

Steve Douglas tape #2 TRT 8 sec Shrimp digging

Steve Douglas tape #2 TRT 5 sec Octopus in shell

Based upon our previous discussions, we would like to offer a “per second†rate of $70.00 for the initial license listed below (10 Second minimum per shot, 50 seconds minimum total).

In addition to your standard license agreement, the following language must be included.

IN PERPETUITY SITE USE

(Non-Exclusive)

All footage shall be provided cleared for use at the Sea World Orlando Property, in perpetuity, on a non-exclusive basis. This shall include all un-paid promotional purposes such as the reproduction of the images for broadcast news or newspaper and magazine coverage, and all in-park promotional purposes such as in-park wide video systems, park maps and brochures.

FOR PERPETUITY USE IN OTHER BUSCH ENTERTAINMENT SITES

(Non-Exclusive)

License option shall provide a perpetuity site use for other BEC properties, specifically, SeaWorld San Antonio (Texas) and SeaWorld San Diego (California).

In addition, OTT requests a quotation for the following option of use, as a separate license to be exercised by ON TRACK THEMES INC. at its own discretion in the future.

Mr. Steve Douglas

March 18, 2004

Page Two

OPTION FOR PAID PROMOTIONAL PURPOSES

(Non-Exclusive)

License rights to use the clips in regional and/or national

(US Domestic) paid promotional and advertising materials,

television $35.00 per sec. Print media. or any single frame images used in magazines, newspapers, internet sites sold at. …….. (Ted, while this is probably a lesser consideration, I would think that whether a single image will be used on a dvd, or cd sold or given away in large numbers, or whether it is to be used in a magazine,newspaper or on an internet site really would vary the value. I don’t want to get picky here as the probability of using a video frame image as opposed to a digitally shot still is remote, but I am simply unsure as to how to define this one point.

The license and options shall be granted to:

ON TRACK THEMES INC.

P.O. Box 1127

Fillmore, CA 93016

In addition, a DVD copy and digital tape copy of any and all final versions of the productions used by any BEC properties or other properties optioned by On Track Themes Inc will be sent to Steve Douglas, 5260 Mary Fellows Ave, La Mesa, Ca. 91942. Credit as videographer will be given to Steve Douglas whenever used in such a manner that credits are employed.

Please contact me if you require further information or clarification.

(

Very best regards,

Ted King

Producer

Here's one more that was sent to me as an example template.

STOCK FOOTAGE LICENSE AGREEMENT

This agreement by and between _____________________ and Video South Pacific, 560 N. Nimitz Hwy.,Honolulu, HI 96817 is entered into on _____________________.

This agreement acknowledges the following:

1. Videotape furnished by Video South Pacific is for the non-exclusive use of the Client and is authorized for use only in the production specified on this license agreement. The term of this agreement is one year from this date.

2. Video tape furnished is not purchased from Video South Pacific, but rather a limited use license is granted. Video tape is not authorized for use until a signed copy of this agreement is returned to Video South Pacific and all charges for use and duplication have been paid in full. Possession of the video tape does not confer a right to use same. Copyright, title and ownership of said video tape licensed to the client will remain the property of Video South Pacific.

3. Client agrees to pay all duplication and tape stock charges, shipping and delivery costs.

4. Client shall return all preview tapes and submasters of our video tapes used for the completion of its project no later than thirty (30) days after completion of the project, unless prior written authorization is obtained from Video South Pacific.

5. No furnished video tape may be submitted directly by client to a duplication facility or laboratory for duplication without the prior written permission of Video South Pacific to that facility.

6. The running time is based on the actual amount of video tape used in the final edit master. Client will provide Video South Pacific with a dub of the final edited master of the project in which our material is incorporated prior to final licensing.

7. Client agrees to pay the following license fees and minimum charges:

Broadcast use: $34.00 per second / $340.00 minimum

Non-broadcast use: $24.00 per second / $200.00 minimum

Video for resale: Non-broadcast rate x 2

8. Video South Pacific requires advance payment of at least the minimum charge and estimated duplication costs prior to delivery of our submaster video tape to the client.

9. If for any reason the client decides not to use the licensed video tape provided by Video South Pacific, the delivered video tape must be returned to Video South Pacific. Failure to use the licensed video tape in no way affects this license agreement and client is responsible for payment of all applicable license fees and duplication and shipping charges.

To signify your having read the foregoing and your acceptance of these terms, please sign below and return this agreement. Thank you.

ACCEPTED AND AGREED TO:

Steve,

Thanks so much for posting that here, i am sure we all appreciate it!

I think i will split this thread...

Congrats Steve!

And, great thread with very useful information.

Cheers

Todd

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements