bjf123

DX-8000 Strobe Question

For Christmas, my wife got me the full Sea and Sea DX-8000 setup with the YS-25 flash. She also got me the Sea and Sea housing for my Nikon D-70. Have I said how much I love her? We've got a trip to St. Lucia in July and I'm planning on taking the DX-8000. I think I'll save the D-70 housing for live aboards where I won't have to carry it around. This will be my first foray into UW digital. I've been using my Nikonos V for 10+ years. Anyway, I'm confused over the setup of the strobe. I understand that it's a fiber optic cable that fires the strobe as a slave, using the internal flash as the master. The pictures on the Sea and Sea web site seem to show a little adapter with two connections attached to the top of the housing that hangs in front of the flash. It doesn't look like it will totally block the flash. I'm thinking I don't want any light from the internal flash getting beyond the housing. Do most of you just put black electrical tape over the front of the housing to block the flash and attach the fiber optic cable to one of the connectors on the top?

With my Nikonos, I usually shot everything on full manual and would bracket whenever I could. How do those of you using the DX-8000 shoot most of your images?

You should have received that little black clip with the flash or the camera, I'm not sure which I received it with. Tape will work as well though.

In the box to the ys-25 you should find some velcro (only one side the soft side) you use that and cut to shape of the flash area of the dx8000 housing. This shields the flash from shooting forward and then you attach the fiber optics into the connection/s built into the top of the housing. Also be careful not to throw away they also give an additional connection port with the flash that can be installed into the velcro for use on other housings.

Hope this helps.

Also be careful if you plan on using high mah rechargable batteries and I recomend you do, Only use them in the camera. In the flash they will overheat the curcuitry and the flash will not work most of the time. There is a bullitin on sea and seas website. But I highly recomend high mah baterries in the camera. regular batteries you get about 40 shots, with a high mah rechargable I get upwards of 100 shots.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll look into getting some high mah rechargable batteries for the camera. I'll still with Duracells for the strobe.

I stopped by Circuit City at lunch and picked up a Monster Ultra 2100 recharger with 4 AA 2100 mAh capacity batteries.

You said you get 100 shots with high mAh batteries in the camera. How many shots do you get with regular AAs in the YS-25?

Lets put it this way I change them every new outing 2 dives 80+photo's and never lacked power or recycle time in the flash. I probably change them to soon but I would rather be safe. You might want to experiment with that.

ya I use the energizer2500mah batteries. The only downfall with these are that they have to be fresh. Rechargable batteries loose aprox 1% a day just sitting around. Good luck and happy shooting. If you hit the link to my websight you can see some of the stuff I have done with the g5000 ys25.

Sponsors

Advertisements