echeng

Oceanic white-tip sharks in Bahamas

bahamasoceanics.jpg

I've just put up some photos from last week's trip out to the Bahamas for oceanic white-tip sharks. They are really curious critters. ;)

Journal and photos here:

http://echeng.com/travel/bahamas2006-2/

I haven't done any proofreading yet. Will do that when I get home. I'm still in Florida. :P

doh. we're boarding. later!

Awesome stuff, Eric.

What is interesting is that the Bahamas OWT are much greyer than the bronzey ones that are seen in the S Egypt Red Sea.

If you are running a WP Trip to see these guys, sign me up!

Alex

Sweet!!!!!

I want to see one too..... ;)

Sweeeeet, indeed! Well done, Eric. Let me know when you have next year's dates firmed up for JASA trips.

Cheers, Jett

VERY cool, Eric! B)

But OUCH, Jimmy's sliced fingers looked painful. Lucky they weren't a little deeper, or he might have been taking them in a SEPARATE bag of ice to have them reattached! Hope he's doing OK - obviously he didn't lose his sense of humor (or desire to get in the water) over it! ;)

Looks amazing; BTW there's a great book by Rob Palmer, 'Deep into Blue Holes' about Andros.

My day job is a Plastic Surgeon, so I can save some trips to the clinics, if you drag me along in future! ;)

Jeff

Hey, Jeff! A plastic surgeon would definitely have been useful on the trip! ;)

"Deep into Blue Holes" was on the boat with us, but I didn't get a chance to look at it. We tried to go back to do another blue hole on the way back, but the water was really green and crappy, so we moved on.

Sounds like you guys had a great trip -- other than Jim's filet knife accident, that is. Wish I could have made it, but I think Carol would have been upset if I was diving with you and Jim on our 20th wedding anniversary! We were at Top Dive in Bora Bora and Rangiroa. Lucien set everything up and it was great. I'll fill you in later.

By the way, Jim called me to phone him in some more antibiotics -- I guess he's ready for this week's trip!!! See you in November, if not before.

Doug

P.S. Did you get the new safety sausage I sent down with Tandy?

Great Shots Eric,

Hopefully I'll fit one of your 2007-2008 trips into our diving schedule. I've only seen one Oceanic White-tip in the Coral Sea, I was snorkeling between dives and it scared the hell out of me, it being "curious" and all. Again, nice images.

Doug

Congratulations Eric!!! I´m leaving for Brothers on Friday where I might get to see one of those (I guess I need a lot of luck...). Could you please tell us what lens/strobe did you use for the shark pics?

Thank you!

great reports & pics Eric!

Dave

Davichin: there is EXIF information in nearly every image on my site.

As usual Eric, some fantastic pictures. Those Oceanics come really close.......

By the way just how do you extract the the exif data from your shots? I can see the info in Bridge or whatever, but I've never bee able to cut / paste it into another document.

Hamish.

Davichin: there is EXIF information in nearly every image on my site.

ooopss! :( thank you!. In the end I took a borrowed Sigma 15-30mm and a 10.5mm for big fish and a 60 mm with kenko 2X for macro/night dives... but I didn´t get to see any OWT (they are easier to spot in October-November)...at least I got a silky :) ...

Hey, Hamish -

I use Breezebrowser most of the time, but there are a ton of utils out there that you can use. EXIFER is another one.

Sponsors

Advertisements