stewsmith

lens choice for canon 350D

Just purchased my first DSLR the Canon 350D. I have used it on land with the standard 18-55 lens that come with the package, and have some nice crisp shots. I am going to be buying the Sea and Sea housing in the near future. I would like to know what lenses I should be thinking about.

Most of my photo's up until now have been macro ie nudibranchs, but i would also like to start taking wide angle shots, ie sharks, now I have the kit to do it properly.

I dont want to be spending £1000 on a single lens but I want to buy one that I will keep and get good usage from.

I also will need advice regarding port options.

All advice welcome. Cheers, StewSmith

I have the same camera and housing and I had to make the same choice a while ago.

I ended up with the canon efs 10-22 and the canon efs 60mm macro.

I am very pleased with both lenses.

For the 60mm you need the compact macro port base and the macro port (s). For the wide lens you need a domeport and probably an extension.

You mention sharks, I do not know wich lens you should choose for sharks but I think that a mid range zoom or something would be the best choice.

I've just upgraded from my Canon s70 to the 350d in the Sea&Sea housing as well.

I'll be diving it next week for the first time, and I've decided to stick with the 18-55 kit lens for now, for two reasons:

a) keep the price down (although that ship has sailed)

b) keep the flexibility of my s70 to shoot some macro and some wide on each dive

I've got the Sea&Sea extension (40) and fisheye 10" dome port on.

Obviously my results will not be better than what you could get from the 10-22 or the 60macro, but I feel like this lens is better for me, for now.

(Thanks to Sy and David and everyone at Backscatter in Monterey for setting me up so quickly, after my s70 fell in the lake).

-kbs

Hi Stew,

I would also add my vote to the 10-22mm / 60mm macro lens setup already mentioned. I have also just got the 17-40mm, which I wish I'd had earlier in the year for shark photography. The 10-22mm was great, but the sharks had to come pretty close for me to get the shot I was looking for!

Hamish.

too many options !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not enough cash.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

too many options !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not enough cash.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to underwater photography. :D

Sponsors

Advertisements