Sign in to follow this  
Lndr

Laptop Lust requited

I am about to get a new laptop for a three week trip to Malaysia, diving Kapali and Layang Layang, what do I need to install?

At the moment my list is short ...

Photoshop

iMatch (my catalog)

Dive Manager (Suunto)

... but what else should I have in my toolkit?

Also what things will I need to do to ensure I can have internet connectivity when I get there?

hmmm ... and any other newbie pitfalls you can warn me about!

cheers

Leander

Hi,

A PDF copy of your camera's owners manual can someimes come in handy.

Have a great trip!

Jett

Some sort of portable hard drive or backup device for those scrummy D2X files would be worth the investment. Even new laptop drives can pack up unexpectedly and burning DVD's is a royal pain.

Not sure whether you are looking for advice on the laptop itself, or just software...

A PDF copy of your camera's owners manual can someimes come in handy.

that's a jem, thanks Jett

Some sort of portable hard drive or backup device for those scrummy D2X files would be worth the investment. Even new laptop drives can pack up unexpectedly and burning DVD's is a royal pain.

Yep, I have plans to use an X-Drive &/or a USB harddrive for backup. Recent bad experience losing photos burnt to a DVD has made me not want to depend on that alone! (it was a backup to an X-Drive which had some power "issues" on that trip).

Not sure whether you are looking for advice on the laptop itself, or just software...

The laptop is a definite case of lust over logic. Looking at an ultraportable Sony. Figure with a brick of a camera :( and 4 DS125 strobe batteries that every kilo I can save elsewhere is going to be saving my shoulders and excess baggage $ (My last OS trip, to Vanuatu, was the first time my cameras cost me but it was way expensive :D !)

So anyway any advice welcome, software or hardware or strategic :(

In addition to what others have mentioned, I'd add a standalone RAW converter. There have been past threads on which is preferred by whom, so I won't reopen the discussion here.

For the laptop itself, I'd make sure you've got plenty of RAM. It's often more effective at speeding up applications like Photoshop, as compared to using a faster processor.

Finally, with regards to internet connectivity, Kapalai Lodge has broadband, but it's quite unlikely that you have any access to internet at all in Layang Layang... unless you bring a satelite phone too :D:(:(

In addition to what others have mentioned, I'd add a standalone RAW converter. There have been past threads on which is preferred by whom, so I won't reopen the discussion here.

What is the reason you'd have a stanalone RAW converter as opposed to ACR & Bridge?

For the laptop itself, I'd make sure you've got plenty of RAM. It's often more effective at speeding up applications like Photoshop, as compared to using a faster processor.

RAM is definitely a priority :(

Finally, with regards to internet connectivity, Kapalai Lodge has broadband, but it's quite unlikely that you have any access to internet at all in Layang Layang... unless you bring a satelite phone too  :(  :lol:  :(

No - no sat phone :D B)

But we have a few days in KK before, between and after the dive resorts. Was hoping to post pics for friends/family.

1 thing that hasn't been mentioned, recovery software for your CF Cards....

stu

Any recommendation?

thanks

Lndr :lol:

Regarding standalone RAW converters, it's because they suit my particular style of going through pictures, are much faster (and I have a pretty good desktop setup), and allow batch processing. I personally use Bibble, but RAWShooter or others are pretty good too.

For the recovery software, you can simply go with the free software on Lexar pro cards. It's relatively slow (when set to "Low Level Search") but extremely effective.

Not only the camera pdf but all your gear such as strobes, dive computers etc.

I back up to a 100G portable drive and then burn DVD's of all RAW files and sort them out when I get home.

A 1G thumbdrive comes in handy to transfer files to and from other divers.

A second battery for the laptop for those long flights.

Yes - definitely - I have the camera manual and others, also included some relevant travel info, maps, and exerpts from lonely planet and such.

I have had both Raw Shooter and Bibble recommended. Have downloaded a trail to play with before I go - no use spending the holiday learning new software! I liked the speed of Bibble for browsing :huh:

I'm shopping for a USB drive enclosure at the computer market this weekend :blink:

20 sleeps!!! :lol::D:blink:

Do you know if the place you are going has the US standard 120V AC or the 220VAC outlets. Some computer power bricks are compatible with both but you might need some sort of adapter with 220.

A laptop backpack by lowepro with the setup for a camera would be sweet. Waterproof version even sweeter.

Get a small/mini usb mouse - I've found them to be invaluable on the plane flights because they work well in small spaces. They're also much easier than the touchpad or stick built into the computer.

I think that's about it. You should be set for a great vacation.

Gary

Get a small/mini usb mouse - I've found them to be invaluable on the plane flights because they work well in small spaces. They're also much easier than the touchpad or stick built into the computer.

I find a smal Wacom tablet works great for the plane, or the boat. Acts as a mouse surface for the 4D mouse, and a pen is a dream for photo work...

I bought a stack (short :o ) of light USB 2.5" HDD enclosures for the trip. Am impressed by the amount of storage for weight and price when I look back to what at least 80 rolls of slide film (plus topside print film) would have taken up in carry on space & set me back in $$

The laptop is yet to be delivered, but I have all the bits and peices ready. About the only thing from the recommendations not being taken is the small tablet. It sounds like a great idea - just a case of too many toys to carry! :(

Thanks for all the suggestions :D

2 weeks ! oooooo yeah :)

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements