madguppy

Changi Airport Singapore

Hi all,

I have 2 trips coming up that have me going through Changi Airport, Singapore. I have 12h+ layovers there each time. I was planning on staying at the Transit Hotel on the 3rd floor. It just seems very convenient and cheap. They advertise the fact that you don't even have to go through customs to get there. Here's my problem; on one flight I will be going from Singapore Air and getting on Air Nuigini and another trip has me going from Singapore Air to Silk Air. With my layover time, I imagine I would have to get my bags and recheck them? Should I recheck them that far in advance or get a luggage locker and do a normal checkin? Or should I take the bags with me to the transit hotel and basically negate the nice aspect of not having to go through customs. I hope somebody who has gone through this same itinerary can clear up my confusion and make it an easy transition through Changi.

Thanx in advance...you guys are always so helpful!

John Abramo

John,

I travel through Singapore a lot. Couple of things to consider:

1. The transit hotel is pretty bad. You sleep in rooms (more like coffins) that have no windows and stink of mildew. Yes it is very convenient but having used them, i will do anything but use them again.

2. Customs barely exists in Singapore. You grab your bags, and walk through a glass door where there "might" be a customs official somewhere in in sight.

3. Immigration is one of the fastest on that side of globe...usually less than 5 minutes.

4. Bags - Changi has great bag security. I wouldn't worry much about them sitting there for 12 hours. However...

If I were you: I would collect my bags, use a luggage locker, and take a taxi to a hotel within 5/10 minutes and get some real sleep.

Best of luck,

Shawn

They have a left luggage service.

Cabs are very cheap and generally fast, except for rush hours.

Jack

Hmmm. Guess stinky rooms don't bother me that much. LOL!

I've stayed in the Transit Hotel a few times and found it fine for the 6-8 hr layover. Much more than that and I'd probably consider going to a downtown hotel. Customs/Immigration is a snap there for sure.

As for the bags, I've never collected mine. Just go to the Transfer desk with the claim tags and they will make sure the bags are transferred from your Intl. flight onto the Silkair flight. No problem at all. Plus they print the boarding pass for you. I think it's Transfer desk E.

The Strand Hotel was nice. Lots of restaurants and stores in the general area of the Hotel. About $80.00 U.S.

Strand Hotel

Rand

Rand,

I had to laugh (strange boring accountant humour) I see in the room pictures that the deluxe room looks like it comes with "female Entertainment" (She appears to be putting her shoes back on) is that all included in the $80USD. :lol:

John, I transit SIN a lot. My personal litmus test is at the 12 hour mark. 12 hours or more, leave the airport to recover, less, stay at the transit hotel.

If you have any control over the flights and connections, for me the sweet spot is at about 18 hours, so you can sleep, shower, eat and shop.

Less than 12: Transit hotel.

12-14 hours: Le Meridien Changai Village, which you can occasionally get great internet rates at.

14+ hours: Go downtown. I usually am at the Raffles or Swissotel (both sit over top of the City Mall, and, the City Hall Metro Station).

As for luggage, I know for a fact that you can interline your bags on your SQ to Silk Air segment. Just make sure you have your tickets, or, itinerary + confirmation numbers when you check in to SQ, and explain the layover time. They'll hold them in the impound for you. I've done this on my last two trips through there with zero issues.

That way, you can pack a rollaboard with a day's worth of clothes, get off the plane, clear immigration and spend the time without dragging all that dive gear.

All the best, James

I've stayed at the transit hotel probably about a dozen times in my travels and never found a room that was musty. Being dark and small was great, all I did was sleep.

When they were doing upgrading, there was noise that might have kept you awake but that should be all done pretty soon.

I like checking my bags at my home airport all the way through and you can do that if you have less than 24 hrs layover. That way you don't touch them again. Do as Rand says and take your luggage stickers to the transfer counter and they input that into their computer. Never had any problem with them.

If you have never seen Singapore then I would wait until you have more time to see parts or all of it.

Terry

Sponsors

Advertisements