jkane

Nikon 12-24 and 18-70: Nexus port and diopter?

Hello. I'm new to the forum. Forgive me if this is an old subject but I've been unable to find the info.

I recently made the leap to digital via Nikon D200 with Nikon's 12-24 and 18-70 zoom lenses, and a Nexus housing with my old 170mm Nexus port. I did the first dive today with the 12-24 lens using a 40 mm port extension and no diopter (both as recommended by Nexus). The results were not good - nothing was in good focus and I suspect the cause involves the port or a needed diopter or both. I also suspect I'll have similar problems with the 18-70 zoom as well.

Here's my question: can forum members who use a Nexus housing with the 12-24 and 18-70 Nikon lenses please tell me which port and which diopter (if any) work well for them?

Thanks

Jerry Kane

I use D2X in a Subal ND2, using the 12-24 I do not use a diopter, many here will tell you to use one but I get the best results from not using one.

Take a look at the Nexus 12-24 port. I'm using it with my D70 & 17-55mm with good results, so it will probably work with the 18-70. (Thou I don't have that lens to test.) Using a 60mm extension ring & +4 diopter. This port is physically smaller than the 170 port but with a larger dome radius. (It uses a segment of the hemispere.)

I got good results with the 12-24mm with the same port, but having a vignette problem. It may require a larger port (larger hemisphere segment) but the radius seems ok. Using a 30mm ext ring & +4 diopter in tests but haven't taken any real pics yet. The useable zoom range without vignette with the 30mm ring is 16-24mm. The 12-24mm lens should take a 40mm ext ring, which I tested, but the vignette was worse (only 18-24mm useable).

Anyone like a good deal on an FP170 port & shade??

Hi,

I recently sold my Nexus D100 kit and dome port, but I used to use the Sigma 10-20 and 18-70 with the 230mm port and 40mm extension, both without dipoters. Focus was good with both lens, and the corners were in focus as well. The 230 dome was huge and buoyant, requiring an additional 1kg weight attached to the housing.

Didn't have the 10.5, but I suspect it would have worked with this port as well.

For my future purchase I hope there will be a glass port that handles all 3 ranges, 10.5, 10-20 / 12-24 and 18-70/17-35/17-55, with a combination of extension rings.

I did a lot of testing with the Nexus housing, D-100 and Nikon 12-24mm lens. I found that the best combination was the 170 mm port, 40 mm extension and a +4 diopter. I haven't tried the 18-70 or the Nexus 12-24 mm port so I can't speak about those items. I have more info on my web site about the testing that I did. It is at Herb Segars Photography-Using the Nikon 12-24mm Lens with the Nexus Housing.

Sponsors

Advertisements