Sign in to follow this  
underwatercolours

What laptop do you travel with?

When you travel with a laptop is a Mac or Windows?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. When you travel with a laptop is a Mac or Windows?

• Macintosh
    • Windows

The Solmar V is under new ownership and they are working on remodeling an area of the salon to add two computers so guests can check email and process images. They've asked me if most diver/photographers are using Mac or Windows. I see a bit of both when I'm traveling and since I'm a Mac person, I felt my answer would be biased. So, if you had access to a computer on a boat, which you you prefer, Mac or Windows?

Bonnie Bonnie Bonnie.......

Ooo this will get interesting.. hahaha

Windows for this kid, i am cheap.....

Maybe I should add that this wasn't intended to be a Mac vs Windows thing. Just need the stats to make a fairly unbiased recommendation to my friends who own the boat. Also, I realize many people travel with their own laptops and might not use the ones on the boat, but recently my G4 power adapter died the morning of the first day of my trip and I would have loved to have a computer to use. So yes, lets keep this statistically, politically and anatomically correct.

Windows ... though it being a mac wouldn't stop me using it ... beggars can't be choosers after all :)

Windows for this kid, i am cheap.....

...and I use a Mac, or (in the light of the above) did you guess?

Windows, even though I hate it. The idea of learning a completely new operating system at this stage of my life (and buying all new programs) is too horrifying to contemplate.

Frogfish (Robert Delfs)

The funny thing, Robert, is that there is nothing to learn! Without starting a Mac/PC debate, Macs are for people like us - they are SOOOOOOO simple!

Mind you I had to update my OS and buy a new version of Photoshop when I changed cameras!

Remember, a Mac can even run Windows if you have to! :)

Seriously. I have owned Macs and PC's in my office for many years. I have never required tech support to manage issues with my Macs, but have spent thousands of dollars and many hours with tech support managing issues with the PC's such as OS upgrades etc.

Both Mac and Windows will run any of the software you may require for email, internet, word processing, photo processing etc.

Finally, for a computer that other people will use on board, remember you are likely to have far fewer virus issues with a Mac. If you have a techie available to take care of PC issues that's great, if not, you are likely to have far fewer computer 'issues' with a Mac in my opinion.

For me, Windows. I am reasonably happy with windows and plan on never knowing any difference. I also fear change.....

I have a 12 inch Apple Powerbook, which I bought 2 years ago as a smaller travel laptop - for downloading images when in the field.

But I think it is seriously flawed.

It has real over-heating problems when the harddisk is being used hard. IE when downloading images. Basically it crashes. I find it very unnreliable at temperatures above 30 degrees. It only crashes when I am hammering the harddisk. I don't have a problem when doing other stuff. And I have never lost a single image on it - despite always making 2 further backups!

I never have a problem if I use it in air conditioning, but if I am staying in a place/boat without A/C then I can have issues. I often get to the point of balancing in on an A/C vent or a couple of cool cans from the fridge to make it more reliable!

This is not very serious issue, and a restart always solves them. At most it happens once or twice in a trip. And most usually when downloading a full 4 Gig card.

Alex

I always use PCs, while travelling or otherwise. I've crashed Macs every single time I've used one :) (this is true!)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5150508.stm

They paid a lot of money for this report on how to beat viruses!

Just got a new PC like others have said can't rationalize dumping money into all new software.

Windows for me, too. Macs don't have anything close to AD for network administration.

Although I must admit that when traveling, I don't even take a laptop...just my cell phone with Windows Mobile 5.

All the best, James

Doesn't sound like networking's pertinent to this conversation, but I run 20+ Macs on a Network, with all the Remote Control I need. And it's been plug and play since day1.

If they are adding two new computers to the boat, why not put one of each?

Excellent idea! Why didn't I think of that. And they can even run on the same network. The Mac will have no problem converting and using Windows files.

I'd prefer a PC (Windows.) Like others have pointed out, that's what I'm comfortable with.

If they are adding two new computers to the boat, why not put one of each?

That's what I'm suggesting but wanted some real-world numbers to back up my recommendation. Some stats show Mac as being less than 15% of the market (don't quote me on this) but we wanted to narrow this down to the underwater photography market. So this poll is really helping. Thanks to all who voted...and keep those votes comin'!

Bonnie

For what people will be using the machines for, I really don't see where one would have an advantage over the other, burning CD/DVDs of images, looking at images, etc. With that, I'd go for price....

For what people will be using the machines for, I really don't see where one would have an advantage over the other, burning CD/DVDs of images, looking at images, etc.  With that, I'd go for price....

Size and weight are big factors also. I just bought one of the last Dell Inspiron 710m because I thought it had the best combination of performance, size/weight and price. I just couldn't pass up a 12" , 4 lb notebook with 1G ram and 100G disc for around $800.

I'm have a Windows XP laptop. If they wanted to do it right install and network, and one PC. Since you mentioned email they are investing in some type of broadband device. Those that bring laptops can connect up via Ethernet from cabins if they wanted.

I am a mac user but in this situation i would probably use pc' just because of the cost (taking into account the conditions on board and general abuse that would be wielded out)

I think one of each makes sense. But what do I know, I'm a mac user.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements