Notorious

sigma 17-70mm in a Sea and Sea

The HSM version of the lens is quite wider compared to the non-HSM one, so I doubt the same gear will fit. At least, the Ikelite gear for the non-HSM does not fit at all. In fact, for the HSM version there's no gear, so I had to build it myself...

Hope this is not the case with S&S...

Many thanks for your reply. I'm surprised not more people are in this situation. :) So I will simply take this lens along to the housing supplier and see what can be modified. I will let everyone know what happens. (if you are interested!)

cheers,

sea wasp, sea slug, hermit crab, whatever!

Many thanks for your reply. I'm surprised not more people are in this situation. :) So I will simply take this lens along to the housing supplier and see what can be modified. I will let everyone know what happens. (if you are interested!)

cheers,

sea wasp, sea slug, hermit crab, whatever!

Hi, I'm also trying to figure out what is needed to use the Sigma 17-70 HSM in a S&S housing with D300. So would love to hear if you found a solution for zoom gear and which dome / extension to use.

Thanks,

Oskari

Hmmm...I got the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 HSM Macro..... I got the zoom gear for it from divervision. no customization needed.... I wonder if perhaps I should Have gotten this lens instead?

Hmmm...I got the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 HSM Macro..... I got the zoom gear for it from divervision. no customization needed.... I wonder if perhaps I should Have gotten this lens instead?

i made a couple of zoom rings for a few friends with S&S housings. think it was like $2 each or something. really DIY home-made kinda stuff.

materials:

- a sharp cutter

- mounting tape (the thick, double-sided one)

- electrical tape

- rubber mat with grooves in it

the hard part would be finding the rubber mat with the grooves in it. the one i got fit exactly with the gears in the S&S housing.

you cut 2x1" strips of the rubber mat. wrap one strip around the zoom ring of the lens with the grooves facing the lens -- so it 'grips' the zoom ring.

then wrap the whole thing in mounting tape, followed byaonther strip of the rubber mat, grooves facing outwards. that's for the gears in the housing to engage.

then secure the loose ends with electrical tape, and that's it!

i made like 6 of them in 30 minutes with the help of a friend. i made one for my ikelite housing too. i can't see myself shelling out $60 for a plastic grooved ring. i'm a cheapo

;)

good money goes to :lol:

Sponsors

Advertisements