echeng

Papua New Guinea, October 2006

hey, guys. I'm going to be in PNG this october, and it would be great to have company from Wetpixel. I'm not running the trip (no commission, hence, the posting in this forum instead of the commercial one), but I managed to secure a discounted fare aboard the FeBrina. More info here:

http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/join-eric-c...uinea-oct-2006/

see you there, maybe. :guiness:

We just came from the same area, here are some of our unsorted images to get you into the mood :guiness:

Cor

Eric, sounds like a great trip!

To save hassling Cliff - how much would this be without the airfare?

I'm not hugely keen on flying via LAX from Aus :guiness:

I'll have to send you an email. Also, the trip price is airfare plus febrina only. Walindi and loloata are not included in the price. I'll have to clarify the post on the front page!

Gotcha - thanks Eric! :guiness:

I've been on the FeBrina a number of times. You will have a great time. What itenerary are you diving? New Ireland or New Britain? Is Alan Raabe still the owner or did he sell it? I heard the captain of one of the other Liveaboards (was it Telita???) is her captain now. Give us the poop when you get back. Unfortunately, my usual PNG trip is going to be in Borneo this year. Any info you need and I have will be yours for the asking.

Alan is still the captain, at least he was two months ago when we did 2 trips on the Stardancer. They hired a temporary captain, as one of the captains of the stardancer/febrina/whatever fleet left, but alan is still mostly running the febrina.

Cor

I believe the temporary Captain is Peter Manz - he was formerly the Captain of Pelagian.

It is the habit of Alan to get a guest Captain tp give him some time off every year - I believe Bob Halstead will be looking after a few trips on 2007 with others to be confirmed.

Eric, I'm in Australia most of that month so it'd be too much to add more time although I'd love to get back to Walindi. If it's at all possible, have them run you out solo or with a small group to the Zero. It's not far from the resort. A very cool thing to observe. And I'd like to see your interpretation of it both from a video and still standpoint.

Rand

Hi Guys,

I'm seriously considering this trip, specially the Febrina part.

I've just got back from a bad PNG trip to Kavieng, so I've a few reservations about returning to PNG so soon.

Cor's photos were a great window, but is anyone else able to shed a bit more light on the style of diving in Rabaul/Walindi. I checked out the Febrina site however it was not that helpful.

Specifically are pelagic fish to be expected, or is it mostly macro. From the photos I've seen and little I've read it looks more on the macro side of things.

thanks, damien

It depends a bit on where you go. The normal itinerary of the febrina and the stardancer includes a few dives with schools of barracuda, jacks, and some sharks (sometimes with baitboxes), but it's not a great pelagic area. Lots of macro and wide angle sceneries.

From walindi itself I would say it's almost all macro, although you do see dolphins from the boats quite often.

Still, it's a great place to visit.

Cor

thanks for the feedback. I'm more than happy with a mix of both WA (schooling fish and reefscapes) and macro.

I do however want decent visiblilty and blue water. We don't really get either in Sydney, so when I go on holidays these are things that I appreciate.

thanks, ds

I believe the captain will be someone named Sam -- in training, at the moment.

Hi Guys,

I'm seriously considering this trip, specially the Febrina part.

I've just got back from a bad PNG trip to Kavieng, so I've a few reservations about returning to PNG so soon.

Hey, Damien. What a coincidence! My trip to Kavieng was bad as well. But I've heard so much about the diving in PNG that I have to go back. I'm convinced that it was a combination of Kavieng and a crew unfamiliar with the region.

"I've just got back from a bad PNG trip to Kavieng, so I've a few reservations about returning to PNG so soon."

Kavieng is the place I would least like to dive again in PNG. My one trip there was my one trip to PNG where the cost and time were least warranted.

"is anyone else able to shed a bit more light on the style of diving in Rabaul/Walindi. I checked out the Febrina site however it was not that helpful."

As you leave Rabaul it is likely you will dive Duke of Yorks and Fathers before heading to Kimbe. The outer reefs of Fathers have some really nice bommie diving so you may get some pelagic action there, but that is really going to be about it unless something out of the ordinary occurs. I think the reef around the Atun is really productive and Two Tanks, if the water is reasonably clear, can be a dramatic if comical scene. Outside of that it will be mostly macro, although reef fish shooting is always there to be had.

I've been to PNG a number of times now and except for Kavieng have always enjoy it. And I am returning in '07 and '08. I am not normally one of those people who can shoot macro, and macro, and more macro. It justs gets to me after a few days. But shooting macro in PNG is just a lot of fun.

I always look at PNG as a fun trip, rather than a productive one, because it is a bit disheartening to review your shoot and see 90% macro images. But I always go back because PNG has so many critters and they are so accessable, that "in the moment" it is some of the best times I've had shooting images underwater.

Not that it will ever be as outrageously enjoyable as Darwin on good day, but there is something to be said for shooting a Ribbon Eel, while Mandarins swim in the rubble next to you, as the Croc Fish yawns behind you, as the Leaf Scorpionfish sways with the shallow water and the true Clowns watch from their little anemone homes. And all this happens in a couple square meters where these are the obvious, can't miss seeing 'em, subjects. You are suddenly faced with the notion that you have to decide what to shoot first, or whether to shoot any of it, because you just realized you haven't even begun to hunt yet. :rolleyes:

It is very hard not to have fun in an environment so rich in quality and diversity........even if it is mostly macro.

Earlier this year I did the South itinerary (Solomon Sea) out of Rabaul and I think that once Alan gets that itinerary down pat, it may well be the best route for the most different photo ops of all PNG itineraries I've been on. It had phenomenal macro, excellent reef fish populations and quality wide angle opportunities, given good water----which we were not given for much of the trip :lol:

But like you, I want more than macro, and it is the itinerary that I believe is most likely to quench all my photographic wants in PNG waters.

thanks for the excellent info! It helps a lot in making a decision on my next trip.

damien

Sponsors

Advertisements