there isn't going  to be a D3H because the D2x combines the features of an H and an X.  Its 7 megapixel, 8fps high speed crop feature takes care of that end.

the new one will be a D70 successor at the $1k price point.

I disagree. The camera that will be announced in a few days or so will in all likely-hood be the D70 replacement but I think there will be a D3H in the future. From everything I've read Nikon is continuing development of the LBCAST sensor and it's the sensor that sets the D2h apart from other DSLRs I've used. I would really like to see a 10-12MP LBCAST sensor and I'll be the first one in line if Nikon gives us one. I just don't think it's going to be this time.

I don't think there's room in between the D200 and the D2x for another camera. If they make a "pro" body 12 M pixels and 8 frames/sec camera, it'll completely replace the D2x.

The LBCAST sensor was the reason that they reduced the price of such a nice camera body to $2000. Of course they won't use that process in another camera unless they make lots of improvements.

The top reasons for a new Nikon Top-of-the-line body are:

Higher frame rate at the full ~12Mp resolution. ( I'll stick my neck out and predict they won't make a cropped sensor at higher resolution ).

Better high ISO noise and resolution.

Full Frame ( let's not get into this one :D )

All the above are possible with either CMOS or LBCAST, I'm not so sure about CCD. Why would a photographer care which one they choose if they can accomplish the above.

I quess I'm going against the grain here but Nikon has maintained the H and X designations with both the D1 and D2 versions and there's no reason to think there won't be a D3H as well as a D3X. The H and the X are targeted at different pro market segments. The H at PJ's and sports photo segment. The X at the studio/fashion/nature market.

I agree with Larry that the H might continue for sometime. Especially if the X goes to FF.

While the H gets a hard time from photo-enthusiasts and measurebators (and people like me for whom it is no-use) it is popular with those who work as PJs (photojournalists) and know their market. A local PJ I know has D2H and a D2Hs and is more than happy with their res because he shoots for newspapers. He has a D2X too - for certain jobs - but he is making so much money from his D2H images that he can buy a D2X for fun!

In our photographic world we don't meet that many photographers who do PJ stuff. But there are many out there and while I'd expect Nikon to bumb the D3H to 8MP these people aren't clamering for more megapixels (but would like better high ISO noise to match the Canon 1D Mk2n).

Alex

Another way to prove this 50mb minimum rule is stupid: you can take an image from a D100 or D70, save it as a 32-bit TIFF file, and there you have it, a 70mb file that's only 3000x2000 (6mp).  Aboslutely no added information, just takes more space  :glare:

I think you'll find that they won't accept 32-bit files. 16bit files must be circa 5300x3500mb to meet submission guidelines = 50mb.

now, not to drag us back into a tangent, but quck comments:

The logic behind the 50mb requirement, as I understand it, is as a quality control guideline. Think about it from a photo buyers and agents perspective. If you were an agency attempting to get images from photographers and needed a fast way to move a tremendous volume of images through quality control, a strict set of guidelines would be the best way.

It might just be a size (file size) requirement, and it is counterintuitive, but frankly setting such a guideline is the best way to regulate quality. If all images are about 50mb 300dpi (just a standard) 16bit, you can open up any image, view it at 100%, and know pretty much immediately whether it is of high enough quality. That is a bar that the industry sets. And frankly, an image might look great at native output, but how will it hold up when you blow it up to xxx size? The buyer needs to know what he or she is getting and won't tolerate images of varying sizes. Remember, it's all about standards. A standard has to be somewhere, whether for editing, or output. 50mb is simply a representation of a quality standard in a method easily translated to both buyers and photographers.

Finally, regarding some of the prior comments, in my experience most agency personell are better versed in digital media than most of the photographers they represent. As a photographer, I appreciate this and what the agent does: sell my images.

These are the leaked pictures, looks legit, but let's wait and see.

nikon-d80.jpg

nikon-d80-1.jpg

It looks smaller than the D70 and apparently takes SD cards.

That looks like it would fit in a d70... except maybe the buttons on the left...., but who needs those!

Mike,

I hate to really stuff up your world, but I’d be astonished if these two cameras could share a housing. :rolleyes:

Just had a quick play in PS...

It does look like the D80 has dust on the sensor though! What were those turkeys thinking!!

post-2831-1153978440_thumb.jpg

post-2831-1153978721_thumb.jpg

As an aside though - the finder looks a lot more like the D200 than the D70...

Anthony... i have access to a crowbar...

Is that to beat me up or to "modify" your Aquatica?? :rolleyes:

well.... its cold in melbourne.. so i will go with the modification part..

A box of beer (to be collected from my office in cairns ) to the first person to get one in the water.

It does looks close...cool demo gif there...

Im sure you will be one of the first Peter to get in wet..

Hey Kelly's folks are in Cairns at the moment, in some resort somewhere.. :rolleyes:

Whats a nice sail vessel to go on now days over there Peter.

haha... i didn't even notice it was a gif.. funny...

well... i guess Jean will tell us in a couple weeks..

Geez Mike - no respect! And I made the damned gif for you.

Peter, you'll probably be the first one in to get it UW and you'll be drinking the beer yourself. :rolleyes::lol::wub:

Nice one Kees. I didn't realise it was so small when I did my comparison. Clever idea.

I'll be drinking a beer myself, just to wait and see how you all did. So don't forget to take photo's of the modifications.

Greetz,

The CopyCat

P.S. Things to consider: would there be a modification possible where both cameras would fit?

Nice one Kees. I didn't realise it was so small when I did my comparison. Clever idea.

Thanks,

But see my post above, I just do ctrl-C ctrl-V

A Dutch guy named Remy Bergsma made it.

how about the rum coke i am drinkin now? is that a nice reward to myself?

i hate upgrades... they always work against me...

if it weren't for that damn alcohol i could have a D2X just like Alex...

bwahahaha

oh, and kees.. i might have to moderate you for using terms like "sizes compared" Anthony's girlfriend reads these threads, Anthony might get nervous...

Would Nikon really build a camera more advanced than the D70s with an SD card as the only option. I hope not...

Hey Mike, I appreciate you keeping things nice around here. Michaela will have much more respect for you now :rolleyes:

And Kasey, it wouldn't surprise me at all that SD was the only option...

Sponsors

Advertisements