Sign in to follow this  
Drew

The best way to get great video

As I began viewing my tapes from this year's african trip, I discovered I'd become lazy. Not checking the housing, camera and batteries as often as I should (and paying for it in a big way!). But I thought I had it down in terms of controlling something as dynamic as a baitball. I was even a little excited as most of the people I invited onto my boat were new to the run and my "preparation" was almost subtlely thorough. Ah well, too much to ask for. Hence my suggestion to get the best shots... get rid of the still photographers. There I said it. Still shooters are slow, deliberate and wait for the moment. For fast action such as a big baitball, that style doesn't do well. Ask Doug Perrine, who shot over 500 shots in 2 dives in baitballs.

Exhibit A:

First Sard video, still photographers in the way of beauty.

Now note that in every shot, I had the sun perfectly positioned. However the still shooter (I'm not naming names here) is trying to be faster than a bonito tuna or a common dolphin and be in the action up close. That works with a bigger baitball but not a little one like that. A still photographer can remove a diver easily with photoshop. I'm sure some of you have seen Doug Perrine's shot of the bryde's whale going through a sardine baitball. In some pics, there is a diver in the bottom right and another version there isn't.

For video to clear a diver, it's a frame by frame affair which will take hours upon hours. It just ain't fair!

Anyhow, next time, the still shooters are banned from the boat or at least the baitball.

PS: Don't take this rant too seriously. If you do, go watch Little Britain or spend a day raking sand in a box. :D

PSS: I know it's not auspicious to post the first vid with the bad takes, but it gives an opportunity to let people listen to the sounds of the dolphins clicking as they check divers out. The loud thump of gannets penetrating the water surface isn't recorded very well with these cheaper hydrophones. I've asked sound design guys to make a sound similar to it but they've failed. Really it doesn't do the birds any justice. :(

PSSS: I know sharing vids is in the other forum but since this is a technique vid, it should stay here. :)

Hey Rant away. I have to agree. Photographers and videographers do not make for a good mix at all. When we lead trips on liveaboards we put the photogs in one skiff and the videographers in another. Those flashes can ruin everything. Even on safari in Kenya we put the photogs in their own jeeps and the videographers in another. No one wants to hear all that clicking and whirring noise on their video of lions chasing Thompson Gazelles. They even use their flashes when the zebra is 50 feet away as if the flast were going to help the picture. It can be maddening. The photographer in your clip should have been keelhauled. I've always wanted to do that run but was

dissappointed I didn't see any sharks in your clip. Do you think this is the beginning of the end for the sardine run in terms of sharks? Here in San Diego, they've stopped doing the blue and mako shark cage runs because they are all fished out.

Steve B)

Errr the long liners also check online for new shark spots... so I'll say yes... no more sharks in Africa!!!

And the photographer in the shot is ok, he'll just pay for it later!

And remove all the divers who have loads of money and time to spare and buy all the latest gear, travel to the best location and..and...and :)

Remove this burning jealousy that boils beneath my dry-suit... :D

Imagine there's no heaven, its easy if you try...

Dive safe

DeanB

Yea, I agree. Damn Videographers screw up my shots....

750dm2600.jpg

Actually, on this one, I felt she made the shot. But Scubadru brings up an interesting point for discussion. A year ago, I was just happy to be shooting and diving. But as I move along, I guess it's just a natural progression for eveyone who takes their underwater photography seriously to get the best shot possible. And rarelydoes a diver who's not aware or interested in your shot, going to magically look properly placed in the frame.

A few things I've learned, is be geared up and ready to splash as soon as the boat stops. Have a plan for the shot so you will get at least a few bubble free moments. Go low season, by yourself. PNG was heaven for me. No one at the resort. One or two divers on the boat. Or, pay a sh*tload of money and rent the whole boat. (Haven't reached that point...yet)

It sounds like the Sardine run has become so popular, that it's out paced the available subjects. Sad as I'd hoped to do it some day.

Rand

Nudibranchs. The future's in nudibranchs. As long as you're prepared to wait in line for them.

Nice clip Drew, yes shame about the humans in the shots.

Well at least you can show the grand kids what the ocean use to get up to before the longliners cleaned it all up.

Those flashes still upset the camera when shooting nudies to Nick.

Drew you are not thinking....

Get all the diver interaction stuff you can.... then stick it on a DVD and sell it to them as a souvenier of their time at the Sardine Run...

For lots of money... pay for your airfare...

Think man think!

Mike,

Ok, now YOU have me thinking.....so I show up at a resort, HD cam and all, what is a typical guest video like? Some land stuff, some diving stuff, ok, what percentage? Then how much footage of them compared to the marine life,.....ratios, man, I need ratios! lol.....And how long should the DVD be?

Then I am thinking, I bet one should cate rto impulse buying and close the sale on the spot before they leave the resort......thoughts on that? Obviously I would have to get a handle on editing before I would feel comfortable taking anyone's $.

Ok, you knew this was coming......so you make an hour DVD, charges? I found a few references on dive resorts sites to the tune of $100. That means I have to video,produce and sell 13 to pay for my airfare, lol......

Drew? sell stuff?

stop it! you're confusing me! :D

Hey I sell but only to those who'll pay $1200 a minute, 1 minute minimum, non-exclusive rights and DP credit. I'm trying to get my ASC invitation. :D

Rand, like any other rarely scene natural phenomena, it's just a matter of the divers getting used to the action and knowing how to interact with something as dynamic as a baitball. My 2nd baitball at the run, I was whacked in the thigh by a charging dolphin cos the action was so hectic that you just lose all sense of direction. It is a sort of baptism by fire that the baitballs this year were smaller on average and they are the hardest to shoot.

Unfortunately the hydrophone doesn't pick up one of the most terrifying yet exhilirating noise in a baitball... the gannet dive as it penetrates the water. It's amazing to hear one hit the surface but when you have 20-30 hit it's like a hale hitting a tin roof and it resonates through your body. I usually wear a 7mm hood. Ask Marriard or Giles what it sounds like.

Good thing is the dolphin check out clicks as they scanned me for tumours, brain damage and general vibes, came through nicely.

Sorry Drew, hate to undersell you but my price is now officially $1100. a minute.

Would still like to do the Sardine Run, looks like a blast.

Steve B)

Sigh the market has no integrity. :D

This reminds me of foaming root killer. Orginally costed me $18 for 2 lbs, sold it for $49.50. Some character tells me he gets $79.50, so I figure I am going to raise it $79.50. Then some other character says he gets $89.50, so up my price goes....the higher I raised it, the more it sold. Now I get between $187.50 and $225, and now it costs me fifty cents for the chemicals, and 50 cents for the plastic jar.

The more I raised my prices, the more perception of value it had, and the more it sold.

hmmm sounds like the oil biz.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements