sharky1961

nikon 12-24 or 10.5 for Mantas

Hi,

I am flying to the maldives to photograph the mantas.

question what will be the best lens for photographing mantas the nikon/tokina 12-24mm or the nikon 10.5mm ( I already have the nikon 16mm but I think this one is not wide enough).

any suggestions are welcome.

Rob

I used the 16mm on the Mantas last time I was in the Maldives and found it ideal. I have also used it on the Mantas in Bali.

This is with average encounters. If you get something really special - lots of mantas coming very close - then you should use the 10.5mm.

Alex

I've only photographed Mantas in Socorro...they are very friendly and you can get right up to them..

The 10.5 may be too W I D E....

I think a 15 or 16mm would be ideal...any lens that will let you focus from 4 feet to infinity would be good.. I found my zoom lens (12-24) to lock focus on small stuff floating in the water...should have set focus and locked...

Most of my manta shots on website are with 10.5 and they are cropped..

Although this picture with 12 - 24 is one of my favorites.....

http://homepage.mac.com/mikepalasz/.Pictur...o/DSC_0394d.jpg

M.

I find both to be useful.

But... i get the opportunity more than most to pick and choose.

My recommendation would be the 12-24 you will have more luck filling the frame. I do love the 10.5 for mantas but they rarely get that close where it is necessary....

Bring both if you have them... but i would suggest starting with the 12-24...

If I go back to Socorro where the Mantas stop and stare you in the eye from 3 ft I would use the 10.5. If you can't get so close then the 12-24 might be better. At Socorro they would sometimes be too close for the 12 mm end of the 12-24.

( I already have the nikon 16mm but I think this one is not wide enough).

BTW it came as a suprise to me as well that the 12mm end of the 12-24mm is roughly equivelent on a cropped sensor to the 16mm FE field of view.

Show us some of the pics when you return.

:guiness:

I'll weigh in by saying first that I think this depends on what you expect the encounter distance to be, or what you intend to achieve. Manta dives rarely happen in gin clear waters, so I would assume you will be trying to shoot from as close as possible. But n a reasonably close encounter with something as big as a manta, unless you want to shoot details of specific parts of the manta anatomy, I cannot imagine that the 10.5 could ever be "too wide"

post-1236-1155367987_thumb.jpg

10.5 Manta (and not that close), in Komodo last year

Frogfish

I have used my 16mm fisheye on my F5 to shoot mantas in Yap. I now use a 10.5 on my digital camera. Below you can find some manta shots I took last Februari in Mozambique; you can find my article about Mozambique right now in Duikmagazine (in the Netherlands).

I will return to Mozambique next Saterday. Let's hope I am lucky again.

manta1.jpg

manta2.jpg

manta3.jpg

Sponsors

Advertisements